Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Spatone or Flurodex?

(12 Posts)
Rhian82 Mon 25-Aug-08 11:40:52

My midwife recommended one or the other as my iron levels had dropped (from 12 to 10.8 - still not officially low, but I'd like them to be higher). I can't see much to choose between them myself - what are people's experiences?

star6 Mon 25-Aug-08 11:59:16

floradix worked really well for me... got my levels from as low as 4.8 all the way to 9.1!! Not rising now, though, but 9.1 is better.
I like the taste of floradix better and I just feel like it helped my body to absorb more iron in general both from the iron in it and the iron in the food I was eating.

sunshine185 Mon 25-Aug-08 15:31:41

hello there,

my iron levels dropped to 10.5 (even taking pregnacare and eating red meat, dried fruit, chocolate galore), a week of spatone in the morning with OJ totally helped and brought my energy levels back up!

no taste in spatone with OJ, i got it from boots!

ellideb Mon 25-Aug-08 15:54:57

Hi there I've been suffering from anaemia too, my iron levels were 9.2 so I was prescribed the dreaded iron tablets from GP, but have refused to take them so I'm taking Spatone instead as you can barely taste it and its much gentler on my stomach. I've been taking 2 sachets a day now for 2 weeks and my iron levels had gone up to 9.9 at lastest check. I've also started to eat more iron-rich foods and have started taking pregnacare again as it also contains iron so I hoping to see an improvement at the next check-up! I really like Spatone though!

rubles Mon 25-Aug-08 15:56:41

I'd vote for spatone too, as there is no taste if in fruit juice, whereas I found fluoradix disgusting. I recovered from anaemia (hb 7 or something) very quickly with the spatone.

YumeeMumee Mon 25-Aug-08 16:05:00

floradix and oj worked for me.

Rhian82 Tue 26-Aug-08 16:38:02

Thanks everyone! I've decided to go for Spatone - spurred on by the fact that it was 3 for 2 in Boots! Hopefully it will help with energy levels as well, find I miss Red Bull far more than I miss alcohol!

expatinscotland Tue 26-Aug-08 16:39:19

neither one worked for me.

but someone on here recommended Solgar Gentle Iron and it is the BUSINESS!

Heartmum2Jamie Tue 26-Aug-08 18:13:57

I am currently using spatone (only realised I could take it twice a day yesterday...d'oh!) my levels weren't terribly low, 10.2 when drawn at 25+5, but as I started to feel well ropey, I should imagine they dropped lower than that. I am finally starting to feel a little better and will ask for another blood draw at my next appt.

diddle Tue 26-Aug-08 19:26:35

spatone 3 for 2, better go and stock up. I'm taking it at the moment, keep feeling very headachy and yuk. going to ask midwife to check iron levels this week, i'm only 8 wks.
but feel awful.

spatone really picked me up last pregnancy hoping it will this time too

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 26-Aug-08 19:28:17

Floradix is great stuff but tastes awful. Down it like you would a shot, with an oj chaser.

expatinscotland Tue 26-Aug-08 20:42:49

Was in the healthfood shop yesterday, and the proprietor pointed out that Floradix has plenty of Vit C in it.

So no need for the chaser.

And there I was drinking it with OJ and wondering why it burned like all hell!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now