Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Starting to show/weight gain

(17 Posts)
babyignoramus Mon 25-Aug-08 10:48:33

Hi all, am 13 + 5 with no. 1 and no bump/weight gain yet. Most of the books I've read (I should throw them away, I know) say I should be showing by now and 'what to expect' says you should contact your doctor if you don't gain any weight for two weeks in a row during the 4th-8th months...?? Technically that's true for me as I'm now two weeks into the 4th month with no weight gain, but surely this doesn't warrant seeing the GP??? I'm not concerned as such, just curious to hear from other people's experiences.

(I'm sure I'll be regretting saying this in a few weeks when I suddenly balloon!!)

duvetheaven Mon 25-Aug-08 11:04:16

Hi there
I lost 20 lbs in first four months due to morn sickness. I was size 16 before so had a bit of 'spare'! No medics expressed any concern . I didn't show until 23 weeks and like you was really keen to 'look' pregnant! It will come! I am now 38 weeks!
Also if your first will take longer to show because your stomach muscles are in 'better shape' or something like that!!
Good luck with your pregnancy!

lulu1414 Mon 25-Aug-08 11:06:28

I didn't gain any weight really until 5th month. I didn't really start to show until 5 1/2 months and was really small until recently (now 7 months). Everyone is different. If you have strong stomach muscles, for example, you will not show for longer. I wouldn't worry. There are threads on here of people who don't show until the last month and others who lost weight (???) because of sickness etc, so I think you are probably fine.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 25-Aug-08 12:01:58

I don't think many people really 'show' until about 16 weeks. Don't worry!

LoveActually Mon 25-Aug-08 13:21:30

Some women don't show for ages. You say fourth month but if you are 13 weeks! So you have only just gone past three month mark. I didn't start showing till 18 weeks.

bikerunski Mon 25-Aug-08 13:43:30

Didn't show until 20 weeks, lost 21 lbs in first 4 months due to sickness. Don't worry. 37 weeks now, still look "small" as bump in quite compact due to strong stomach muscles, but measure just right.

jamescagney Mon 25-Aug-08 14:24:35

didn't show until about five -six months in my first pg, was able to get away with button on trousers open and cardis etc. Don't worry enjoy being able to wear regular clother for a bit longer, you'll then be able to splash out later on lovely mumus!

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 25-Aug-08 14:47:12

Message withdrawn

elkiedee Mon 25-Aug-08 22:58:44

I was only just beginning to show at 23 or so weeks in 1st pregnancy, and that was to people who knew and were judging whether or not I showed, certainly wasn't at your stage. My mum commented yesterday that I'm not really showing yet either, and I'm 18 weeks today.

LeonieD Tue 26-Aug-08 09:41:27

Message withdrawn

chloemegjess Tue 26-Aug-08 10:44:50

13 weeks is 3 months really. As if you work it out being 4 weeks per month, you end up being pregnant for 10 months.

I wouldn't worry. If you still havent started to show by your next appointment, maybe mention to the gp or mw but I wouldnt go especially.

Good luck, and try to stop worrying!

ajm200 Tue 26-Aug-08 10:50:35

I showed at 9 weeks with my first and 24 weeks with my second. Every person and pregnancy is different so don't worry.

I'm 32 weeks and have only gained 5lbs! I did gain more but got sick and lost it all again.

I'm going to be at least one size smaller at that the end of this pregnancy than I was when I started out. I can still just about get into my pregnancy jeans at 32 weeks!

The Dr isn't concerned as my baby is measuring about right for my dates.

rarebreed Tue 26-Aug-08 12:44:51

I was really bloated from about 16 weeks onwards, didn't really get a bump til about 18/19 weeks though, am now 36 weeks and the size of a whale smile

Anna8888 Tue 26-Aug-08 12:46:31

I didn't show at all until four months with my first child.

And I have had two miscarriages at 11+ weeks and barely showed (absolutely no-one had noticed I was pregnant).

babyignoramus Tue 26-Aug-08 13:00:23

Thanks everyone. Not really worried at all, just nice to hear from others. I also suffer with IBS and have gotten into the habit of eating less to control it so am doing my best to scoff a bit more! Will be nice when I can blame the bump on the baby rather than the remnants of a flabby beer belly.

babyignoramus Wed 27-Aug-08 18:14:19

Hmmm - think I spoke too soon. In the last 24 hours I have developed a tiny but rather obvious bump!! shock grin

lollipopmother Wed 27-Aug-08 18:32:03

I didn't show until 18 weeks at the very earliest, although it was only noticable because I knew I was pregnant iykwim. I would say I didn't have a proper bump until at least 22 weeks, before then I just looked like a bit of a bloater!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now