Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Phengran - anyone taken it?

(7 Posts)
countrylover Sun 24-Aug-08 16:53:11

I'm 6+2 and suffering from not only nausea but also insomnia - mmm, what a great combination. Just when you think you can't get anymore tired you loose two nights sleep worrying about not sleeping..

I spoke to NHS Direct today out of desperation and they said to get Phengran over the counter. Whilst it's not advised in pregnancy, it's ok to take and it will help me sleep and reduce the nausea.

It sounds too good to be true. Anyone else tried it with success for either nausea or insomnia?

MrsMattie Sun 24-Aug-08 16:57:53

I don't understand it 'not being advised in pregnancy' but still OK? I wouldn't take it if NHS Direct can't be clear about the risks

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 17:01:18

It's a antihistamine, hence reduces the nausea. My mum used to give it to me for travel sickness, it used to knock me out though. It doesn't work for some people so maybe you should try some relaxation exercises first.

I've checked for you, it does say avoid in pregnancy so I really wouldn't take it to be honest with you.

katz Sun 24-Aug-08 17:02:20

i was prescibed phernagen (sp) for severe hyperemesis, it knocked me out completely from about 20 mins after taking it for 12 hours. i really wouldn't take it without a prescription. my GP was hesitant to prescribe it and i'd not kept anything down food wise for 3 days and water for 2 days.

deanychip Sun 24-Aug-08 17:03:21

While i sympathise i would advise you to not take this unless you know 100% that it is safe to take ESPECIALLY at 6 weeks, just because this is such a crucial time in development.
I would not risk it if i were you.

Its for travel sickness primarily with the side effect of drowsyness.
Used it on my son, never for myself though.

beeny Sun 24-Aug-08 20:44:31

Im suffering from insomnia,go to sleep very easily but wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning and have morning sickness.I am only 8 weeks pregnant.Am desperate

kittyDug Sun 24-Aug-08 21:22:56

Hi Guys, I'm working in pharmacy and this is not recommended in pregnancyshock. This is very often abused by parents giving it to children to make the kids sleep at nightangry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now