Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

i think i may have ANOTHER kidney/bladder/urine infection, do not want.......

(20 Posts)
mum2bean Sun 24-Aug-08 16:18:12

to see my gp, as last time i done this, he prescirbed me tablets, that not only did he say could harm my baby!(but at 26 weeks i wasn't that far gone anyway!!!!) they gave me bloody thrush, and i have never had that in my life, and i ended up in hospital as i started to bleed(thought the worst)but it turns out it was the thrush mixing with the infection being helped by the tablets!!!!

i have left it for a week, hoping it will go away by drinking loads of water, but now i have a really bad pain when i walk in the right of my back, i cant lay on it, or anything, as i also have bad rib pain (again in the right!) any suggestions without me having to get those awful tablets, and then having to have a thrush tablet(internalangry)and cream?

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 16:25:02

Kidney failure is far worse than the effects of the medication. I'd go to the doctors, maybe there's a different antibiotic you can take. Don't leave it. Damage to kidneys from an infection is irreversible.

singyswife Sun 24-Aug-08 16:28:28

Agree with previous poster however, I have kidney stones and take regular infections, Drink LOADS. I mean LOADS. Everytime you are in the kitchen or toilet have a glass of water. Cranberry juice also helps with the burning and pain. If you are going to keep being prone to infections I would get into the habit of drinking gallons and gallons. Go to the gp this time and get the meds but then drink plenty and you should be able to ward off infection. What did he say it would do to the baby??????????

mum2bean Sun 24-Aug-08 16:35:54

he said it could harm the baby ie kill her, but i shouldn't worry as i wasn't that far gone!!!!! bf almost killed him when he said that, and i just well, gobsmacked totally.

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 16:36:46

What's the name of the antibiotic?

singyswife Sun 24-Aug-08 16:36:48

what kind of ab's did he give you?

singyswife Sun 24-Aug-08 16:39:28

Hi, I found this:

Antibiotics in Pregnancy
What are the antibiotics considered to be safe at any stage of pregnancy?
Penicillin is known by several different names and is known to be safe. Common penicillin drugs include amoxycillin, cloxacillin and methicillin. There are many other types.

Another group of antibiotics which are not known to cause any harm to the fetus are the cephalosporins. These too are known in a variety of names. Those commonly used include cephradine, cefuroxime, cefotaxime, cefalexin, cefaclor, and cefadroxil.

What about tetracyclines in pregnancy?
Tetracyclines (there are several which fall in this ‘group’) are known to be harmful in the second half of pregnancy, where they can be incorporated in the developing bones and the forming teeth. With the latter, the discolouration caused is permanent.

Even though the confirmed harm appears to be confined to the second half of pregnancy, the standard advice is to avoid them throughout pregnancy. The advice also applies to the period after delivery, if the mother is breast-feeding.

What about trimethoprim?
This drug, which is commonly prescribed for urinary tract infection, is frowned upon by most doctors when it comes to use in pregnancy. There is a theoretical risk, yet to be confirmed, that the baby may be harmed. This is based on the fact that it is a folic acid antagonist. Most doctors would prefer to use alternatives.

I would like to add that I get Cefalexin when I have kidney infections and they work very well.

bubblagirl Sun 24-Aug-08 16:42:09

i wouldnt put it off i got really ill as i didnt go ended up with temp of 105 being rushed to hospital it can cause your body into thinking its in labour which can distress baby i didnt realise and felt so stupid i was having contractions every min for 2 weeks and was so ill with it had to have iv antibiotics

so just go and get tablets and dont do what i done as gp went mad at me in a nice way have good relationship with gp i didnt realise at first that this wasnt what pregnancy felt like werent until i couldnt move vomiting bad contractions that my friend rushed me to gp who in turn rushed me to hospital

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 16:42:23

Medical staff always put the mother's health before that of the baby, however they wouldn't give you medication whilst pregnant unless they really had to.

Go back to the GP with a urine sample, they can send it off to see what bug it is so they can give you antibiotics that will kill the bug.

bubblagirl Sun 24-Aug-08 16:43:57

not sure what tabs i got but its common in pregnancy that you can get thrush anyway better than being in severe pain with kidney infection

hope you feel better soon x

mum2bean Sun 24-Aug-08 16:47:47

i was given amoxycillin. i was later told by a friend/mw they wouldn't harm the baby, but, when i went to the hospital the MW there said i should not finish the course and throw them away as they had given me thrush and secondary infection???
but i'll go again anyway, not sure i really want kidney failure, and the pain im in at the moment

singyswife Sun 24-Aug-08 16:50:29

Drinking plenty eases discomfort too. Hope you feel better soon they are a nightmare.

ilovemydog Sun 24-Aug-08 16:51:04

Take the antibiotics if your GP prescribes them, but eating yoghurt helps thrush as it has the right kind of bacteria or something.

singyswife Sun 24-Aug-08 16:52:31

Yeah but it has to be the danone ones with the good bacteria in them. It could just be coincidence that you have got thrush.

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 16:53:11

hmm She should have told you to see your GP. They don't give you antibiotics without a good reason, thrush is because the antibiotics kill all the bacteria, even the good ones so the thrush has a chance to take hold.
Keep drinking lots, it will help to flush them out. Is your urine cloudy/brown?

mum2bean Sun 24-Aug-08 17:05:22

it's cloudy some days but not others? i had a mw app last week, and everything seemed fine when she done the stick test thing.
i have an app with a nurse tues, so hopefully she'll/he'll be able to shed some light on what my body is up to lol

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 17:08:16

Take a sample with you and ask them to send it off.

mum2bean Sun 24-Aug-08 17:10:13

i will do thanks for all the advice. i dont think i would have done anything until it was too late!

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 17:12:10

smile I hope you are feeling better soon. Try to drink lots of water.

LeonieD Sun 24-Aug-08 19:02:22

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now