Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

PLEASE HELP!!! 5 or 6 weeks pregnant and inhaled roach killer fumes while abroad...

(8 Posts)
BeTheChange Sun 24-Aug-08 10:42:09

I found out I was pregnant on the day I was due to go overseas with work. First time pregnant - didn't expect it to happen so fast! Very happy but mind in a whirl. I've been away for 2 weeks now and ended up breathing in pretty toxic cockroach killer fumes for 3 nights in a dodgy hotel last week. Really really scared and worried that this will have damaged the baby...I'm early stages so think should be ok?! Please help - haven't even had chance to speak to doctor at home as flew out 6 hours after took pregnancy test ('just in case'). Feeling very alone.

misi Sun 24-Aug-08 12:15:09

can you go to a local doctor?
as you are there on work, has your company got health insurance for where you are?
I have no idea what is in roach killer but if you are worried, ask the hotel for a look at the packaging to get an idea of the chemicals in it, and see what the safety info is, ie on chemicals here, there is a section on what to do if you inhale, ingest or whatever the product and often a number to call or an advice to go see a doc.
depends on where you are, but a lot of countries have a similar sort of set up like our COSHH, so if they have only industrial packaging for the product, their COSHH sheets or equivalent should give the details of what and where etc.

pudding25 Sun 24-Aug-08 12:20:27

Please don't stress. You are so early on, I dont think baby is even attached to you via umbilical cord yet (I am sure someone will correct me about that) but think of all the people who get super pissed up before they realise they are pregnant and are told not to worry. I was on holiday, drinking every night without knowing I was pregnant and the dr told me not to worry.

BeTheChange Sun 24-Aug-08 14:26:00

Hello - thanks for replying so quickly. I'm in Ethiopia and not keen to see a doctor here (I'll be home later this week).

I'm really interested to know at what stage things you inhale/ingest could have a negative impact on the baby. Like you say pudding25 - I am very early on, and lots of people get drunk/smoke heavily before they realise they're pregnant... so I'm hoping everything will be ok.

Don't know what was in the roach spray - I'm in a different place now (have been travelling around a lot). I've googled it but can't really find anything helpful...

misi Sun 24-Aug-08 16:03:54

ah, ok. its not till around 16 weeks that the baby changes over to properly feeding off of you if I remember correctly, so doubtful any damage done, more concerned about you really.

whats the product called?

best to go see a GP when you get home anyway, after travelling round ethiopia. you would normally go anyway when first finding out so no worries there.

let me know what is was if you can and I'll have a trawl through my vast online store of useless websites

BeTheChange Sun 24-Aug-08 16:49:49

Thank you... will try to stop panicking then...

The english words on the can were just 'roach spray' I think - it was probably called something else in amharic, but my amharic isn't very good!

Yes, will book in to see GP when get back...

misi Sun 24-Aug-08 16:59:06

I googled 'roach spray' and only one chemical based spray came up, the rest were all organic or natural and on the chemical spray they were more worried about ingesting the actual liquid or getting it in your eyes or skin, no mention of inhaling fumes. when you get back, have a trawl through google to see if any of the products look familiar

BeTheChange Sun 24-Aug-08 17:01:16

Thank you for your help... very much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now