Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Glucose (Diabetes test)

(14 Posts)
Shelli08 Fri 22-Aug-08 21:49:43

Has anyone had a diabetes test and been sick afterwards? It happened to me yesterday and they have told me to go back next week and redo the test but i dont want to go through it again, i was all shaky sick and dizzy, has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know if you can opt not to have it re done? any help would be appreciated x

Evelynsmum Fri 22-Aug-08 21:52:33

Hi Shelli,

Poor you. The GTT is not my idea of fun. I wasn't sick but shaky and felt very faint. Promised not to drive until I'd had something to eat or I don't think they would have let me out of the dept.

As for repeating the test you don't have to have any test if you don't want to. Why do they want to retest you? If its not a good reason I'd probably not go for it.

Big hugs.

Shelli08 Fri 22-Aug-08 21:55:31

Its just because i have a family history of diabetes and i just worry if it will affect the baby but i think if i was diabetic i would of discovered that by now so not sure if to go ahead with it

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 23-Aug-08 09:02:11

I threw up for 3 hours during/after my test, so it had to be abandoned. I had it repeated 3 weeks later, at 17 weeks, and it was discovered that I do have gestational diabetes.

You wouldn't necessarily have any idea that you had it - I have had no symptoms at all from it, and have had it for 17 weeks now! Am controlling it through diet.

Whilst you can decline any test, my view is that it is fairly foolish to decline a test that can uncover a problem that can be dealt with simply, but can cause all sorts of problems if left undetected.

I also have family history of diabetes btw.

3andnomore Sat 23-Aug-08 09:16:51

Hi there....in my last pregnancy I refused to take the GTT. I was found to have Gestational Diabetis the pregnancy before and had the GTT at quite a late stage...but found out afterwards, that if taken that late it could give a false positive.

One of the reason I refused the GTT in my last pg was, that again they wanted to take it past 30 weeks.

However, I did have the HbA1c test instead and also took my daily bloodsugars to keep an eye on it all...and that was a solution my midwives were happy enough with.
Maybe you could talk to your midwifes about this?

Here some Info about the test copied from a website:
Diabetes and the A1c Test:
The A1c test (also known as HbA1c or glycated hemoglobin) is a good general measure of diabetes care. While conventional home glucose monitoring measures a person’s blood sugar at a given moment, the A1c test indicates a person’s average blood glucose level over the past few months.

LeonieD Sat 23-Aug-08 10:09:18

Message withdrawn

3andnomore Sat 23-Aug-08 10:17:13

But GTT, if performed at a to late stage of pg can also give you false positives!

Like I said, I combined it with checking my Bloodglucose level several times a day....basically treated myself as having GTT, also ate the way I would if I had it....and it did fare me well...for starters there was no one messing about with my HB plans...which were spoiled in my 2. pg thanks to testing as Glucose intolerant in my 2. pg....

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 23-Aug-08 10:25:49

If you were sick before the 2nd lots of bloods were drawn, then I would probably either do the test again (not a nice prospect) or agree to do daily blood glucose monitoring for a week or so.

Whilst there is much debate on GD and it's treatment and it's causes, there are undeniable risks if left untreated.

There are different options for you to take, so research and find out what is best for you.

LeonieD Sat 23-Aug-08 10:26:53

Message withdrawn

3andnomore Sat 23-Aug-08 11:27:48

Hm, here is an interesting article about the pro of using A1c instead of GTT

link

LeonieD Sat 23-Aug-08 18:52:54

Message withdrawn

LeonieD Sat 23-Aug-08 19:02:59

Message withdrawn

EffiePerine Sat 23-Aug-08 19:16:54

Sympathies, the test is nasty but if you have a family history of diabetes it is a good idea

some things that helped when I had mine:

eating a large and slow energy release meal last thing the night before (i.e. just before 9pm as my test was at 9am).

Not doing anything in the morning before going to the tes

resting in between the blood samples with a book

mine was done at my local surgery, which was great as it's only 5 mins walk and I could come home between times. Were you at the hospital?

3andnomore Sat 23-Aug-08 19:31:02

I read through the links that you posted, but some of the studies seem rather small....so, not sure how valuable those are, tbh.

Personally I was happy at the time to do as adviced by an online midwifery friend who was also specifically trained in Diabetic care...s
my daily bloodsugar profile was perfectly fine, just as it had been in pg 2 where they made the big hoohaa about me having GTT....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now