Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pram recommendations please!!

(60 Posts)
helsywebb Fri 22-Aug-08 16:55:55

Hi, Im currently trying to decide which pram is the best to go for. Im looking for a pram which has a carry cot, car seat, and also a pushchair facing towards and away from me!!

I quite like the quinny buzz, the Mamas and papas Herbie, and the Silvercross 3d pram system, or Silver Cross Linear freeway

Can anyone recommend any of the above, or can you recommend any others?

Im very confused!!!

Thanks ;)

MiniMarmite Fri 22-Aug-08 16:59:21

Worth looking at the Stokke Xplory too. I haven't had my baby yet so haven't actually used but it has all the things you are looking for...

CaptainFabioHiltsTheCoolerCat Fri 22-Aug-08 17:02:18

Go to a shop and test drive them.
Work out how easy they are to put up/down etc, especially one handed.
Will they go in a car boot - if so, will they fit?

Also bear in mind you will use the prammy bits for 6 months then say fuck it and get a Maclaren/similar.

cathym Fri 22-Aug-08 17:18:46

Glad you menioned Maclaren because thats my suggestion, but didn't want to add this post earlier because the OP seemed to have a specific list of requirements.

We got a Maclaren Techno/XT. This can be used from birth as it allows the baby to lie flat. That is much better for the baby than leaving them in the car seats. It is really light weight and doesn't take up much space (it lives in the back of the car permanently) and especially if you buy online is vastly cheaper than the bulky travel systems that a lot of people buy. The front wheels rotate so you can turn it on a sixpence, essential for when you are going round the shops on your own. My daughter is now 2.5 and it is still the only pushchair we have had, and has stayed in perfect nick so will be using it with number 2 (with a buggy board for our daughter). I reckon I should be on commission

becaroo Fri 22-Aug-08 17:27:50

Silvercross 3d is ace.

jojoisamum Fri 22-Aug-08 17:30:51

If you need it to go in the car make sure it fits in the boot before you buy - we didn't *stupid twit*

lauraloola Fri 22-Aug-08 18:31:10

Mutsy 4 rider - Its fab! It has everything you asked for and is really nice to push.

rrrayray Fri 22-Aug-08 19:11:37

I like all the ones you mentioned, but in the end i've got for one thats new to the market. The Out and about Nipabout.

Does everything Quinny does, but cheaper, lighter, and i just think i prefer it!

My advice would be go to an independent baby store which has a wide variety and play around with them and see which one you thinks will work?!

dinkystinky Sat 23-Aug-08 21:06:21

I have the Quinny - was great when DS was really little but he stopped fitting into it aged almost 2 (and he's thin and tall - chunky and tall would have been out of it even earlier). Also, the front wheel got really sticky after about 6 months... that said, if you want a travel system, it was very handy. We now use a cheap umbrella stroller most of the time for DS.

madmouse Sat 23-Aug-08 21:15:01

I am addicted to my phil and ted although it does not have what you want.

Baby lies flat in it to start with and you can see the baby's head as the back of the pushchair is open and there is a peeping hole, although baby cannot face you.

Lying flat is better than car seat.

It is also a pushchair that you keep using rather than spend hundreds and then chuck it for a mclaren.

benandoli Sat 23-Aug-08 21:29:19

what about the bugaboo

star6 Sun 24-Aug-08 06:27:17

I just got a mamas and papas lunamix. haven't had my baby yet(i'm 33 weeks), but good reasonable price, lies flat for newborn and adjusts to upright later on and theres a window through hood to see the baby although doesn't face you. It's light and easy to fold/unfold and I liked the way it pushed the best.

TarkaLiotta Sun 24-Aug-08 07:42:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wellbalanced Sun 24-Aug-08 09:14:10

I have the phil and teds that i intend using for work (nanny) for sch runs as ive got a 2yr old and sch abit too far.
You can use a cocoon with it that is similar to a carrycot (can face you too i think? As this is only way clips in-not with seat on top thou!!!) Phil&Teds also do a car seat but i think it looks daft on it so wont buying that.
My advice is buy a pram with one handle they are much easier to push/steer.

Im also buying a new big pram, Ive been looking at the Maxi cosi Mura 3, with carrycot, seat and car seat modes. Think its new only ever seen in shops. But im liking it.
Ive used and love the Quinny.
Ive used and hated the Bugaboo (chasis-problem getting up and down)
I know alot of people have had problems with the M&P Luna-feels flimsy to me, only pushed it once.
I will never have a Maclaren espec from birth as i just dont feel the baby is well supported.
Ive used the Out & about nipper in a double and i like it-alot.

Kezza7779 Sun 24-Aug-08 10:45:57

i have the Britax vigour 3+ and it has all you asked for. carry cot, carseat and pushchair all clip on so so so so simply with no extra bits to clip on and off, all fit forward or rear facing.
its light weight, 3 wheeled (rubber wheels not blow up so tyres dont need pumping or wont get punctures), funky looking and of course Britax car seats are one of the best around too. you can also get an isofix base fitted into your car with this car seat to save you belting it in - it just clips on and off easily.
I LOVE it and you must try it.

horsemadgal Sun 24-Aug-08 11:07:09

If it has to rear face then Bugaboo for sure, all the others weigh a tonne!

wellbalanced Sun 24-Aug-08 11:19:00

For all those with Bugaboo's have they changed the chasis on these? How do you find putting it up and down? I love the look but had problems with it myself and know of alot of others that have too. Thanks

pickie Sun 24-Aug-08 11:31:00

I love the Nipper out and about wished I bought it from day one and not tried the M&P (expensive but crap quality), Maclaren (good but small wheels so quite hard pushing up the hill esp. when they get older), Quinny Zapp, no shopping basket plus topples over too easily ansd again not suitable for over 2.5 plus.

Downside of the nipper is that is is rather large but the ease of pushing it makes up for it!

ellideb Sun 24-Aug-08 12:05:33

Definately the Silver Cross 3D Linear freeway, I have one and I think its great! I have done a review for MN about it, take a look!

bootus Sun 24-Aug-08 12:28:34

Sorry to add to the confusion....cosatto mobi. Loads of extras, good price in comparison to some of the other options and also car seat/carrycot etc a little longer on the base/bigger so if babs is biggish will still fit in for while. Looks good too. x

wellbalanced Sun 24-Aug-08 20:31:54

Bootus-i had my heart set on the cosatto mobi then when fell pregnant went off it!! When get to the stage of looking at prams ill def go and view/push it.

spottedandstriped Sun 24-Aug-08 20:38:17

The bugaboo chassis has changed a bit. There used to be buttons you had to press and slide at the same time which was complicated. This has now changed. I have a bugaboo and have a love hate relationship with it. I love the way it looks, it is hugely manouverable and lightweight. The problem is it is in two pieces when it has to be put in the boot of the car and the putting down/putting up is a bit of a technique (now can do easily but at first a bit complicated). Overall though a big fan. I also like the many different positions you can have - an engineering masterpiece!

LaTrucha Sun 24-Aug-08 20:42:07

Hauck Infinity has everything you want, is light and very easy to steer and is cheap in comparison to the ones you mention. It's well worth a look IMO. The only things I don't like about it after 8 months is it has a really small shopping basket - although I think I've seen a newer model with a bigger one. here

Backgammon Sun 24-Aug-08 20:45:05

I've got the mamas and papas pliko and really like it. Pushchair doesn't face me but they've brought out the Pliko Switch now which does.

Backgammon Sun 24-Aug-08 20:45:21

(Pliko pramette I meant to say)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now