Talk

Advanced search

breach at 31 weeks - should i be worried

(9 Posts)
wombleprincess Thu 21-Aug-08 16:26:52

or any thing i can do to help turn her?

gladders Thu 21-Aug-08 17:09:56

am sure someone more qualified will come along but in the meantime...

moxibustion (form of acupuncture) can help

positioning - i was advised to spend time on all fours with bum in air (how dignified!) to try and shift him... they reckon far fewer babies were breech when women scrubbed floors regularly!

have also heard of swimming (aiming to touch the floor occasionally) and wearing cycling shorts (not at the same time!)

that's all i can think of. 31 weeks is still plenty of time anyway?

might be as well to think about whether you would be happy with elexctive section or would prefer trial of labour? if trying labour, see if this is within hospital policy... (wasn't at mine) - but there is a lot of stuff out there. Mary Cronk (sp?) is a midwife with lots of experience of breech births - lots of websites with info.

hth

TinkerBellesMum Thu 21-Aug-08 17:18:51

Wouldn't worry about 31 weeks, in fact babies can turn in labour, so I had planned not to have an early section and go with it.

A study showed that there was a higher than normal amount of mothers with breech babies amongst those that do aquanatal. So handstands in the water are supposed to help.

Ice on your ribs will relieve the pressure and baby will move away from it.

Daddy speaking to baby low down as baby will move towards the familiar voice.

Sitting the wrong way on a sofa.

Leaning over a birthing/ exercise ball.

cathym Thu 21-Aug-08 17:40:07

I had this problem and when I asked at the hospital if there was anything I could do to help they said there wasn't anything you can really do. Didn't stop me trying all the exercises though just in case.

georgiemum Thu 21-Aug-08 17:48:28

You have a bit of time yet. About 38 weeks is when they suggest external cephalic version (ECV). This is successful in about two thirds of cases. About 3% of babies make it to the birth breech - and they can even turn at the last moment

You can try going on all fours (the 'polar bear') or sitting on a dining chair backwards (think of the Christeen Keeler photo).

You can use hypnosis - the theory here is that stress causes all the muscles in the tummy to tighten so that the baby doesn't have too much room to turn easily. Relaxing all the muscles helps here.

Good luck!

notcitrus Thu 21-Aug-08 19:15:26

I was told at my 33 week appt not to even think about what way round my baby might be until 36 weeks - he was still doing somersaults!

Apparently leaning forward or being on all fours helps the baby get the hint nearer the time. Now at 36 weeks mine's head down but back to back - which apparently I shouldn't be concerned about until at least 39 weeks, seeing as he's not engaged at all yet. My midwives seem very hot on the telling me not to worry - anyone would think I was a somewhat anxious first-timer or something... blush

Tangle Thu 21-Aug-08 20:31:19

There is plenty of time and chances are your baby will turn by itself. That said, my DD was one of the few that didn't, and I was glad I knew in advance so that I'd had a chance to think, try things and plan what I wanted to do.

Try and get hold of "Breech Birth" by Benna Waites - its very approachable and gives a good balanced view of the different options available. It also has a chapter on complementary ways to encourage baby to turn (in addition to those mentioned, a chiropractor skilled in the Webster technique might help). "Breech Birth: What are my options" by Jane Evans is also very informative.

How you birth your breech baby is a very personal choice. Our decision was to have DD at home as a breech baby with independent midwives skilled in breech birth (completely hands off, as practiced by Mary Cronk). A CS wasn't our first choice, but we recognised that that was where we'd go if things didn't work to plan. We were not prepared to consider a medicalised vaginal breech delivery (on your back in stirrups, probably in theatre, probably with an episiotomy, probably with an epidural and almost certainly with forceps - oh, and probably being used as a training exercise so with a large supporting cast looking on...).

NHS midwives should have breech skills (around 50% of breech babies are undiagnosed before labour, so they must deliver some of them) but whether they are confident and what their hospital protocol states may make it difficult to get a vaginal breech birth in hospital.

Note that it is not for your hospital to "permit" or "allow" you to plan a vaginal breech birth (in the words of Mary Cronk, "'Allow' is not a word to use to a mentally competent adult"). That said, I'd be very cautious of trying one without competent and confident midwives.

Fingers crossed DD turns for you, but you do have options either way

wombleprincess Fri 22-Aug-08 06:43:21

thank you all!!

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 22-Aug-08 07:51:20

Mine has turned 3 times since 31 weeks (now 34) so I wouldn't worry yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now