Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did your second baby engage?

(10 Posts)
lilithxx Wed 20-Aug-08 22:02:52

Hi,
I'm a little concerned as I am 39+ weeks and baby is not engaged.

Liz

Greatfun Wed 20-Aug-08 22:14:25

DS was 2/5ths engaged at last check up and arrived the day before his due date if thats any help.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 20-Aug-08 22:18:55

They normally engage during labour don't they?

sweetkitty Wed 20-Aug-08 22:20:31

Never

Her head only went into my pelvis 10 minutes before she was born after the MWs broke my waters to bring her down and speed up my labour.

My labours was 2h 30m start to finish and the easiest of my 3 despite her being my biggest baby.

wellbalanced Wed 20-Aug-08 22:24:59

This can occur as early as 33 or 34 weeks, but may not happen before labour starts. If the baby engages in the pelvis early this does not mean that you will give birth early. Usually the baby will engage in the pelvis by 37 to 38 weeks, but not always.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 20-Aug-08 22:32:31

Hello again wellbalanced . You sound like you're quoting from a book there. Knowing that you're expecting your first, can I just check if this is something that you've been told to expect? It sounds right for a first baby, but not for subsequent ones, which I believe often don't engage until the last minute.

sweetgrapes Wed 20-Aug-08 22:33:46

Didn't. Until labour, that is.

sweetgrapes Wed 20-Aug-08 22:35:48

Second time round there's more room down there for baby to float around. So they don't engage till somewhere in actual labour(usually!)

wellbalanced Wed 20-Aug-08 22:40:06

I wouldn't use quoting from a book but yes something read. 2nd 3rd 4th 5th etc can be different depending on tummy muscles and babies position to change right up until the birth. But it can also engage early like 1st.
Am i wrong? I read too much i know!!!

feetheart Wed 20-Aug-08 22:49:10

Mine bucked the trend and engaged from 32 s*dding weeks - very uncomfortable chasing a toddler with a bowling ball between your legs shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now