Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

please remind me what I shouldn't eat!

(35 Posts)
surprisenumber3 Wed 20-Aug-08 15:29:20

almost 6 weeks preg with 3rd DC and have realised I can't remember what I can and can't eat...well I haven't been pregnant for five years :D

seem to remember pate, soft ice cream, things in bakers that have been kept warm all days, nuts....what else?

Thank you!

tinkisnearlyhalfway Wed 20-Aug-08 15:55:37

list of what you cant eat -

any soft cheese i.e feta, camenbert etc cold
ok if cooked in say pasta or on pizza

all pates a no no

you cant have 99 icecreams that come out of the machines. icrecream from freezer is fine.

cold deli meat i.e pepporoni a no but ok again on pizza

have to be careful with seafood i.e prawns ok if in freezer and cooked

no soft boiled runny eggs hard boiled fine

laweaselmys Wed 20-Aug-08 16:02:15

Why can't we have pepperoni? I haven't heard that one.

Also remember, you cannot eat shark.

waggledancer Wed 20-Aug-08 16:18:34

This page www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/nutrition/foodsafety/cheeseexpert/ is helpful. And this one www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/pregnancy_eat_003744.htm.

MKG Wed 20-Aug-08 16:30:12

Limit Tuna because of high mercury levels.

aurorec Wed 20-Aug-08 16:49:21

No 99s????

I didn't know that I've had a few this pregnancy. What's the problem with them?

fragola Wed 20-Aug-08 17:07:04

Don't forget raw and undercooked meat!

fragola Wed 20-Aug-08 17:08:06

Pepperoni I presume because it's cured rather than cooked, same with salami and parma ham - there's a risk of toxoplasmosis.

WorzselMummage Wed 20-Aug-08 17:08:54

I read on another message board that we must not eat mcfurrys from mc d's either hmm

i'll be ignoring that.

tinkisnearlyhalfway Thu 21-Aug-08 11:56:54

you arent meant to have mcflurrys or 99's as they both come out of icecream machines risk of listeria

EffiePerine Thu 21-Aug-08 11:58:57

peanuts is a bit of a grey area, some say avoid if allergies in family, others say exposure in womb decreases risk of allergy. Prob depends on your family history and how relaxed you are feeling

Personally I am still eating runny eggs and peanut butter...

TheHedgeWitch Thu 21-Aug-08 12:02:57

Message withdrawn

PetitFilou1 Thu 21-Aug-08 12:06:45

Here you go - look at the Food Standards Agency website page

www.eatwellgov.uk/agesandstages/pregnancy

WorzselMummage Thu 21-Aug-08 12:10:46

I've managed to eat mucflurrys for 28 years and never got listeria.

If icecream machines posed any kind of risk to the general population they wouldnt be able to sell them atall surely ?

I have been pregnant 5 times and have never been told this 'risk' it just seems to be something which is talked about on message boards.

cornettos are nice though grin

CaptainKarvol Thu 21-Aug-08 12:16:33

yes, but the thing with listeria is that as a normal, healthy, non-pregnant adult if you had caught the bug the chances are you would have had a mild, 'fluey' illness. Not necessarily thought, 'urg, I have listeria'. It's not the mother that listeria really harms (unless you have a weakened immune system), it's the baby.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 21-Aug-08 12:18:23

feta is ok! it's pasteurised. Only unpasteurised cheese is a risk. Deli food is out because it can pick up bacteria being out for hours and with other foods (cross contamination)

PetitFilou1 Thu 21-Aug-08 12:21:15

Agree with kat - feta is ok
and captainkarvol is right about listeria

kat2907 - hope you are ok, that other thread has got in a bit of a pickle and the op seems to have disappeared, I don't blame her!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 21-Aug-08 12:22:49

Lol
I've bowed out now - my perspective is a bit skewed as I'm full of pregnancy Grrr so I don't know when to stop!

hanaflower Thu 21-Aug-08 12:23:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dinny Thu 21-Aug-08 12:24:44

if you had listeria, would you know?

I have been a bit rubbish this pregnancy already, looking at that list

what are the dangers of listeria when pg?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 21-Aug-08 12:29:37

The dangers of any of those illnesses - listeria, salmonella, toxoplasosis etc are that if you get them in early pregnancy they can cause mc or birth defects. I think you would know if you got salmonella but listeria and toxoplasmosis are just flu like symptoms so you may not know.

CaptainKarvol Thu 21-Aug-08 12:33:37

If you had listeria, you would probably know you had something but might well think it was just some virus. Dangers are as bad as they can be - miscarriage, stillbirth. Which is NOT to say that they are definitely going to happen even if you were exposed to listeria - you can be exposed and still not catch it. Just that they might, and it's a pretty good idea not to get exposed to the bug if you can help it. Listeria is rare, but concentrated in vulnerable people. I did find one internet link saying about 1/3 of all cases are in pg women.

dinny Thu 21-Aug-08 12:38:41

shit, have eaten poached eggs I think this pg that weren't hard-cooked

have also had fresh white crab (which IS cooked) - is that OK?

WorzselMummage Thu 21-Aug-08 12:41:57

Eggs are vaccinated against salmonella if this coutry anyway nowerdays

SpookyMadMummy Thu 21-Aug-08 13:19:52

No seafood which filter feeds like prawns sad

I LOVE prawns and have been craving them....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now