Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you first see a midwife?

(19 Posts)
FlirtyThirty Wed 20-Aug-08 09:43:52

Hi there,

This is my first pregnancy, so sorry for the basic questions. I have not been told when I will see a midwife yet and my GP is less than forthcoming with information. I have to book my 12 week scan at the hospital today but no mention of midwives yet. Would it be normal not to see a midwife until after the 12 week scan?

Thanks,
Flirty x

tinkisnearlyhalfway Wed 20-Aug-08 09:48:11

you should see a midwife @ 8-10wks

TheBlonde Wed 20-Aug-08 09:49:16

I have always seen them after the scan so 13-14 weeks

MamaG Wed 20-Aug-08 09:50:05

I saw one v early (6 weeks IIRC) but only because I was unexpectedly pg and was wildly unsure on dates

I think its more usual to see them as TheBlonde says

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 20-Aug-08 09:58:11

The GP should tell you where your midwife should be but if they are being rubbish, call your nearest family centre to ask. The GP doesn't need to refer you to a midwife, you just need your NHS number, and as the MW has to book your dating scan you need to see one! About 10 weeks is normal.

MrsTittleMouse Wed 20-Aug-08 10:00:34

I had my first midwife appointment at 10 weeks. The only important thing to sort out at this stage is the 12 week ultrasound scan, as they can get booked up very quickly, but you're doing that, so you will be fine.

cathym Wed 20-Aug-08 12:10:33

In our area they have changed the way it is done so you get an appointment as soon as you are pregnant and then they do the second half of the booking in appointment at around 10 weeks. I think this is really good because right from the start you know who to call if there are any problems and they can give you all the advice and info you need about eating properly etc.

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Wed 20-Aug-08 12:34:38

I saw midwife at 8 weeks at my gp surgery, she then booked my scan at hospital for 12 weeks.
You will get a 'welcome pack' with lots of leaflets, info, paperwork to read and for doctor/midwife to fill in as your pregnancy progressses. These are your notes to keep at all times.
Would have thought you need your notes for the scan? Maybe I am wrong.

Neeerly3 Wed 20-Aug-08 12:38:36

i had my 'booking in' apt at 10 weeks, I then badgered for an earlyish scan due to having had twins before - I saw midwife again at 13 weeks to go over blood test results and to discuss screaning for downs etc. I will have those blood tests around 16 weeks, another scan at 20 weeks and then i think i see the midwife every 4 weeks for a while, one trip to consultant as i had prem delivery with twins, and then every two weeks and the every week until delivery....thats my area though, i know every area is diff.

ScaryHairy Wed 20-Aug-08 12:40:02

It depends a lot on where you live. When I had my daughter (in West London) I had a scan at 12 weeks and a booking appointment at about 14 weeks.

wearymum200 Wed 20-Aug-08 12:40:39

GPs here book dating scans. Saw MW for 1st time at about 14 weeks (not 1st preg though). Varies widely by area.

catstar Wed 20-Aug-08 12:51:39

Hi there - for my first pregnancy I had my booking in appointment with the midwife at 17 weeks and that was at the GP surgery. This time round I am booking in at 15 weeks with a midwife at the hospital.

I seem to remember I didn't get given my notes until my 20 week scan. I think it all varies from area to area though.

Hope this helps and congratulations grin!

kgirl Wed 20-Aug-08 12:52:31

I saw the GP about a week after I discovered I was pregnant, they gave me the pregnancy pack which has loads of leaflets in, the numbers for your midwife and the book for your maturnity notes. I had to ring the midwife for an appointment, which in my area is between 8 and 10 weeks, and ring the hospital for my 12 week scan.
For both the midwife and the scan u need to have your maturnity notes, unless the midwife gives them to u when u see them. It depends what they do in your area.

ForeverOptimistic Wed 20-Aug-08 12:52:39

In our you see one at 12 weeks and then not again until 26 weeks.

theyoungvisiter Wed 20-Aug-08 12:53:28

14 weeks both times (after the dating scan)

Then nothing until 22 weeks.

theyoungvisiter Wed 20-Aug-08 12:55:11

in our area they like you to have your notes for the scan but it's not essential - you just fill out a form instead with your dates on (and it's all computerised so they shoudl have the basic info from your GP referral).

cathym Wed 20-Aug-08 13:38:31

I can't believe how little some people see their midwife, or how late the first appointment is. All of a sudden I feel really lucky. It dosn't bother me so much because this is my 3rd pregnancy, but for first timers it can be quite a difficult time when you don't really know what is normal etc, and having the support of a midwife is really useful. I have already been referred to the hospital due to problems, without the midwife to do that I would have needed an appointment with the GP. I know GPs know what they are talking about but midwfies obviously have a lot more experience in that department

theyoungvisiter Wed 20-Aug-08 13:41:24

I think there is a new protocol to say that you SHOULD be seen before the scan, so that they can discuss if you want any tests/bloods/nuchal fold etc and what the implications are.

But not many places seem to be up to speed with this yet - or perhaps they are relying on GPs to have that chat when you first see them. If so, mine didn't, either time!

FlirtyThirty Wed 20-Aug-08 13:45:42

Thanks SO much ladies for your advice and comments!

My GP has been Sh*t! Truly. I had never seen the woman before (in fact come to think about it, I've never seen the same Dr or nurse twice at my surgery!) When I was asked which hospital I wanted to give birth in, I was stunned. I was 4weeks PG with my first child and had no idea I had to decide so fast. Anyway, I picked one and she sent mwe on my way. Today I received the 'choose and book' form, which I though was for my 12 week scan. It was only because I couldn't book one around 12wks that I thought to call the hospital and check. They were REALLY helpful! They told me the form the GP had given me was not form my scan at all (in spite of this being written on the envelope) but instead was to arrange my booking in appointment. So...I am know meeting a midwife at the hospital on 16 Sept (Fingers-crossed, I'll be 8+4).

I'm SO glad to have found this website...without it, I would be lost with the information (or lack of it) that I receive from my GP!

Thanks again,
F.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now