Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Patient choice: does it exist when thinking about where to give birth?

(12 Posts)
Smittals Wed 20-Aug-08 08:40:26

I'd like to give birth in the same place as last time (Rosie Maternity Hospital, Cambridge). Like last time I live about 30 mins drive away in a different town, and about 5 minutes from the nearest hospital. My GP tells me that the policy now is that patients from out of the area are assessed on need before being allowed to go to the Rosie, and was doubtful I'd be able to choose. I feel anxious about this - I want to be in the best place for my baby and me. So does true patient choice exist or is it conditional in your experience?

PetitFilou1 Wed 20-Aug-08 08:45:58

My experience is that you have a choice but a limited one - eg where I live it would be the local hospital, one of the local birthing centres or at home. I've chosen home this time.

In London where I had my previous two dcs, I had a choice of three hospitals each time including ones with birthing centres attached (and obviously the choice of home as well)

I would talk to a community mw if I were you - the Rosie sounds like it is a mw led unit????

LadyMuck Wed 20-Aug-08 08:46:07

Absolutely conditional for antenatal care ime but if you turn up in labour then I doubt that Rosie wold send you away smile

FioFio Wed 20-Aug-08 08:47:12

Message withdrawn

LazyLinePainterJane Wed 20-Aug-08 09:01:54

Well, I live in the council borough for one hospital but much closer to several others (odd shaped area) and could choose (apparently freely) which one I went to. There are certain hospitals in the area that take depending on need and higher risk though.

bikerunski Wed 20-Aug-08 09:15:06

My mw asked me where wanted to go. I asked her what my choice was, and she rattle off pretty much every hopsital or birthing centre within 40 miles. I chose the only hospital I knew (from Ears Nose and Throat!). It is in a different Health Authority (or whatever they are called these days) to the one that I live in, but we are right on the county boundary. My community mw is quite used to this. No probs so far. Barnsley treat me as one of their own, Huddersfield have never heard of me.

snickersnack Wed 20-Aug-08 09:36:15

I was given a choice of three (in London) but am fairly sure if I'd asked I could have gone elsewhere. Agree with whoever said they woudln't turn you away if you turned up in labour! I know people from as far away as Bishops Stortford go to the Rosie even though the Princess Alexandra is nearer, and that must be at least a 30 min drive.

babypringle Wed 20-Aug-08 09:43:58

Hi Smittals - I am in Bishops Stortford and have requested the Rosie (where I also had ds 2 years ago). Haven't heard for certain but the midwive didn't think there would be a problem. Could you ask your GP to try to refer you there anyway, and then follow up the referral yourself?

Smittals Tue 02-Sep-08 11:55:52

Hi, sorry it's taken a while to get back. But the good news is that I'm in at the Rosie for scans/bloods/delivery, but will still be under the local midwife team for the usual check ups. Phew! Now all I have to do is deal with the questions from the local team as to why I'm not giving birth locally.

laweaselmys Tue 02-Sep-08 12:02:57

Hey Smittals I'm trying to get checked in to the Rosie too, and there seems to be all sorts of odd things going on with their paperwork atm!

Smittals Tue 02-Sep-08 14:02:03

Laweaselmys - for my first pregnancy there was a lack of communication between the local GP/midwife team and the Rosie and I think I ended up calling the Rosie to check what was going on. Could something like this be holding you up? I rang the Rosie reception number and explained I needed to be booked in for the first scan but hadn't heard anything, then they sorted it out. Had just 'fallen into the gap' so to speak between the two different teams.

wellbalanced Tue 02-Sep-08 15:24:57

I was given the choice of which hosp to choose. I didnt choose the one that was nearest but my gp was fine with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now