Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Midwife appointment - advice?

(4 Posts)
plantsitter Tue 19-Aug-08 17:37:15

So it seems the hospital didn't get my GP's referral letter for my 1st midwife appointment. I had my 13 week scan and everything was ok, but it means I won't see a midwife until I'm 18 weeks pregnant, in 2 weeks' time.

I got bad sickness and diarrhea a week or 2 ago - I called NHS direct who said it would be ok but I'm worried that all the straining might've damaged the baby, something I wanted to talk to the midwife about.

Would you book an appointment with the GP before the scan just to see if everything's ok? Or is the GP just going to get annoyed because there's nothing evidently wrong with me at the moment - I'm just worried?!

PortAndLemon Tue 19-Aug-08 17:54:02

Straining won't have damaged the baby. Plenty of women are violently sick and have diarrhoea for the entire first trimester (or longer) -- the reproductive system is designed to cope with having all that stuff thrown at it.

If you've had the scan and all is OK, you're feeling fine now, and you've got a midwife appointment in two weeks, then I wouldn't bother seeing the GP. If you do all they'll do is check your blood pressure and urine anyway, and they'll know less about pregnancy and birth and what's normal etc. than a midwife will.

plantsitter Tue 19-Aug-08 20:16:20

Thanks P&L. That's what I've been trying to convince myself of.

PinkyDinkyDooToo Tue 19-Aug-08 21:12:31

TBH you would probably only have seen the mw at your booking in and then not until 18 weeks anyway. They really don't bother with you much early on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now