Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypnobirthing and VBAC/Caesarean- any experiences?

(6 Posts)
MarkStretch Tue 19-Aug-08 14:47:05

I am 15 weeks pg with DC2 and contemplating my birth choices.

I am medicated for high BP, my consultant has concerns about me developing PE and has offered me a cs at 39 weeks.

My midwife is encouraging me to go for a VBAC (dd was emer-cs).

I am wavering between the two, worried about a VBAC going wrong and terrified at the thought of another cs.

Anyone had experience of using hypnobirthing techniques? It was recommended to me as it might help me to feel more relaxed and in control. I have the number of a lady in my area and wanted to gather opinions before I ring her.

surprisenumber3 Tue 19-Aug-08 14:58:16

Hi - I don't have any experience of hypnobirthing but I have got high BP and have had PE and also a VBAC!

With DS1 I had PE from 27 weeks with him being delivered by emerg c/s at 34 weeks as I was so poorly. We were both fine. With DS1 I had high BP throughout but it never developed into PE and he was born by VBAC at 40 weeks, the VBAC I found fantastic to be honest.

I am pg with number 3, total shock and surprise, but I hope with another normal delivery.

Will watch this thread from the hypnobirthing aspect very closely as it sounds very interesting.

Best of luck x

georgiemum Tue 19-Aug-08 15:01:30

I teach HB after doing the course before having DS. I went into the birth feeling confident but (being a complete wuss where it comes to any form of pain) I also knew exactly what pain relief I could have at which stage. I didn't have any form of pain relief - I really didn't feel the need (and I have gas before having jabs at the dentist).

VBAC is something that I am asked about frequently and yes, it's ok.

With regards to the blood pressure, you learn relaxation techniques that will help that before the birth.

HB is a technique that gives you all the information you need to keep calm and in control. You learn relaxation techniques for use before, during and after the birth which make sure that you remain relaxed and in control.

Phone your lady and talk to her - don't feel pressurised if it doesn't sound right for you. Think about it and discuss with whoever will be at the birth with you (they will also need to attend classes - the course is 12 hours in total). If you haven't already, see the HB website www.hypnobirthing.com (this is the official site of the HypnoBirthing Institute that we are regulated by - not to be confused with hypnobirthing with a small h and b!)

Good luck and keep us posted!

MarkStretch Tue 19-Aug-08 15:26:22

Thanks you for your replies.

I will ring the woman and see what she says.

Does DH have to come too or is it optional?

georgiemum Tue 19-Aug-08 15:30:35

Hi there - afraid he has to come too... Get him to speak to your lady too if he has any questions.

I generally find that the other halfs that come dragged to classes but end up being really enthusiastic!

MarkStretch Tue 19-Aug-08 20:26:41

Bump.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now