Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Caffeine in Pregnancy?

(9 Posts)
ScaredOfEverything Mon 18-Aug-08 21:24:40

Hi everyone

I am a 20 week pregnant caffeine addict. Have started to worry I am drinking too much. I have 2 cups of coffee a day and one can of diet coke blush

Do people think is too much?

Thank you!

Bronze Mon 18-Aug-08 21:28:57

Don't know how much caffiene a can of coke has in it but 3 cups of coffee is ok.

Bronze Mon 18-Aug-08 21:29:42

caffiene caffeine
In fact a little bit is good

pinkspottywellies Mon 18-Aug-08 21:30:54

I think that comes within the recommended limits. Something like 4 cups of coffee - which for my particular weaknes equates to 6 bars of chocolate smile

pinkspottywellies Mon 18-Aug-08 21:32:06

Found this on Babycentre:

The Food Standards Agency advises that a safe limit for pregnant women is 300mg of caffeine per day - about what you'd get in three mugs of instant coffee (100mg each) or eight cans of cola (up to 40mg each). Any more than that may possibly lead to babies having a low birth weight or even miscarriage.

fryalot Mon 18-Aug-08 21:33:39

Apparently there is about 75mg of caffeine in an average cup of coffee, and under 200mg of caffeine in pregnancy is perfectly safe. Some people recommend up to 500mg of caffeine.

Either way, you're safe with two cups of coffee. Don't know about the diet coke though but you could always switch to the caffeiene free stuff?

ScaredOfEverything Mon 18-Aug-08 21:48:12

Thanks for the comments ladies. Makes me feel better...

ScaredOfEverything Mon 18-Aug-08 21:48:13

Thanks for the comments ladies. Makes me feel better...

mathsmummy27 Mon 18-Aug-08 22:04:38

Can I hijack and ask a quick question? Anyone know about Red Bull? Am a bit of an addict, gave up for last pregnancy but really knackered atm. Caffeine seems to be within limits (80mg) but taurine and other stuff?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now