Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Beside myself

(23 Posts)
Trinaluce Sun 17-Aug-08 23:38:18

Hi all

Wonder if anyone has any tips. I've been having contractions since yesterday morning and they're now getting unbearable. I've got a TENS unit on and have taken paracetomol but I can't take them any more. Mat unit say they can't give me any further pain relief unless I'm in established labour - which I'm not. Damned contractions WILL NOT get regular and I'm just beside myself now. Best advice from the mat unit was to mobilise: all that does is make the contractions more painful and me more tired. ANYBODY help?!

Fou Sun 17-Aug-08 23:41:09

Bounce up and down on gym/ birthing ball?

Go in and scream at midwives?

Fou Sun 17-Aug-08 23:42:42

If you start a new thread with the title "help I'm in labour now!" you'll get more response.

JonahTakalua Sun 17-Aug-08 23:43:05

you could have a bath for pain relief - though that might slow things down.

FanjolinaJolly Sun 17-Aug-08 23:43:16

i HAD A LONG EARLY LABOUR WITH DS 1 AND IT IS AWFUL ISN'T IT.cAN YOU MANAGE TO GET INTO A BATH? i FOUND THIS HELPED TEMPORARILY.(obv without the tens machine)

How regualar are the contractions?

TotalChaos Sun 17-Aug-08 23:43:36

feeble suggestion but does having a bath help?

Trinaluce Sun 17-Aug-08 23:44:01

- Don't have one
- Hosp. is 45 minutes away, I've already been in twice. I can't face being sent home again. We've spoken to them on the phone and they said they would not got me anything unless labour is established - which it ain't

Fou Sun 17-Aug-08 23:45:52

Is there any possiblility of you getting any sleep?

Trinaluce Sun 17-Aug-08 23:46:55

Bath doesn't help at all, it pushes me into an uncomfortable position - can only bear to be in the thing for about 5 minutes - and not exactly agile enough to leap out

Trinaluce Sun 17-Aug-08 23:48:12

Can't lie down!

kormachameleon Sun 17-Aug-08 23:52:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Trinaluce Sun 17-Aug-08 23:57:51

As far as I know, it's for medical reasons - they can't get me merry on pethidine or entonox if things aren't far enough advanced

kormachameleon Sun 17-Aug-08 23:59:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Trinaluce Mon 18-Aug-08 00:02:30

One more contraction like the last one and I may just do that!

Fou Mon 18-Aug-08 00:03:11

If you need pain relief , you need pain relief angry

How on earth are you going to get to hotpital again if you get any worse?

Trinaluce Mon 18-Aug-08 00:05:31

DH has been doing the driving. We just keep going in...

MrsPorty Mon 18-Aug-08 00:12:56

Is the pain in your back? (rather than front) If so might be that baby is in back to back position and the contractions don't get very regular as the head doesn't press evenly on the cervix. I'm not a professional or anything but that's what happened to me.

Trinaluce Mon 18-Aug-08 00:16:21

There is some pain in my lower back, but when we were in last night - and earlier today - they said bab was lying side on and the head was nicely down, so no worries there. Also no explanation....

alfielooloo Mon 18-Aug-08 00:32:46

Hi Trinaluce, I found that going on all fours and rocking backwards & forwards helped a little bit. Is your Tens turned as high as it will go?
I know this won't help with your pain, but every contraction you have brings you closer to meeting your new baby smile

Ate Mon 18-Aug-08 00:34:56

Trinaluce, how are they determining whether labour is established? Some do it according to regularity and length of contractions, some according to dilation of cervix.

It is possible for women to contract irregularly right through to transition so the contraction rule seems daft to me!

If you are in pain which you find unbearable and want pain relief, do go in.

In the meantime, breathe deeply and slowly, concentrate on what's happening with your body and relax as much as possible. Focus on not tensing up and FWIW, I found a firm lower back massage really helped with back pain.

thumbwitch Mon 18-Aug-08 00:35:30

Go back to the hospital and have a meltdown at them - they should be giving you support and pain relief, or at the very least better advice! Really, go and create hell there so that they keep you in.

PootyApplewater Mon 18-Aug-08 01:05:25

How are you doing, Trinaluce?

onelittlelion Mon 18-Aug-08 01:16:39

I had all the pian in my back. Have you eaten. I was in too much pain to eat and ended up with load blood sugar which the mw's said meant the contractions were there but ineffective. Only relief I got was dh driving put me to sleep a bit. Still woke up for every contraction tho. Is so hard isn't it? Thinking of you and hope things have progressed or you've found some relief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now