Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please help, restless legs

(15 Posts)
KnickersOnMaHead Sun 17-Aug-08 20:58:57

Message withdrawn

4andnotout Sun 17-Aug-08 21:00:46

cold or warm flannels laid on your legs?
Im getting a weird crampy thumb thing this time, pregnancy is just so fun and glam isn't it!

DisplacementActivity Sun 17-Aug-08 21:03:43

Message withdrawn

ratbunny Sun 17-Aug-08 21:05:06

I used to find stretching them constantly helped, as did walking on the spot.
its rubbish isnt it!

DisplacementActivity Sun 17-Aug-08 21:09:07

Message withdrawn

Sibh Sun 17-Aug-08 21:11:59

I had DD2 on Wednesday, and the restless legs stuck around for two days after that. They have finally gone, thank God. Well, the legs are still there ...

It's iron that is recommended I think, so make sure your levels are up. My doc also recommended a glass of hot milk before bed which helped too (calcium can be a factor).

My own innovation was flight socks which made a difference for a short while and the last few nights before I went into labour a shallow hot bath for 20 mins gave me some sleep.

Nothing worked consistently, but I found the most reliable thing was using an antenatal hypnotherapy CD (Effective Birth Preparation by Maggie Howell) before bed. Now, you can only use this from 36 weeks, but the breathing exercises meant I relaxed enough to get to sleep before the cramps ratcheted me fully awake.

The cramps really are distressing: hope the random tips here offer some help

AnnVan Mon 18-Aug-08 05:59:16

Reflexology can hel with the restless legs.

stickybean Mon 18-Aug-08 07:03:54

Get your iron tested, it worked with me after suffering for ages.
Also, have a bath as the very last thing before you go to bed, this doesn't get rid of it permanently but can get rid of it for long enough for you to fall asleep.

woose Mon 18-Aug-08 12:18:18

I have been having this, very annoying. I have just been massaging my legs for about 30 mins before bed and that has helped.

erracticrunner Tue 19-Aug-08 16:24:00

I'm 33+6 and find restless legs a nightmare, but just started drinking hot chocolate before bed...works a treat for me!

fledtoscotland Tue 19-Aug-08 16:34:09

i have terrible restless legs and have been told its linked to my anaemia. if you arent pregnant you can take quinnine to stop restless legs (tonic water is a source) but am not sure if its recommended during pregnancy.

also poor circulation can cause restless legs so make you arent spending too long on your feet

Heartmum2Jamie Tue 19-Aug-08 21:21:22

I just looked this up last night in the MN archives and some people sworse by using the shower head to pray cold water on your lower legs about 15 minutes before bed. Something to do wth the cold helping improve circulation.

Now there may be something in the cold helping as I don't feed my outdoor rabbits until I am ready to go to bed and then check my raised veg beds for slugs, so spend about 15 minutes outside before sleep. It was nippy out last night and my restless legs calmed down by the time I went to bed.

woose Wed 20-Aug-08 08:47:49

I might try the cold shower thing tonight

KnickersOnMaHead Wed 20-Aug-08 13:17:41

Message withdrawn

chloemegjess Mon 25-Aug-08 22:52:37

I have this problem too!! I am disperate for a cure as I had it for the whole 9 months last time and have it again now at 5 weeks. Can't do this for another 9 months or I will go mad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now