Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SPD or normal pregnancy pain?

(6 Posts)
artichokes Sun 17-Aug-08 20:20:59

I am 24 weeks. For past few weeks the bone at the centre of my pelvis has been very painful when I sit on the ground and especially when I try and get up from the ground. Now it is aching all the time, not really bad pain but a dull ache, when I walk it aches more and when I stand from a sitting position it starts to really hurt.

I have only put on 12lbs and my bump is not big.

Could this be the beginnings of SPD or is it normal? This is my second pregnancy, I never had anything like it with DD but then maybe second pregnancies hurt more as your muscles are all shot.

Verso Sun 17-Aug-08 20:38:08

Sounds like SPD to me, artichokes. I had it with my DD and it was exactly like you describe (nothing this time round so far though, apart from occasional twinges - touch wood). Does it feel like you've (ahem) been kicked by a horse? Someone said that to me and I thought it described it perfectly.

Btw it's nothing to do with how much weight you have/have not put on. It's just your ligaments reacting to the relaxin hormone a bit too effectively and allowing the front joint in the pelvis to come apart too much... means it kind-of grates together when you do certain movements - like getting into the bath or in or out of a car or so on.

If you still have it in a week or so it would be worth asking your midwife about a physio referral.

naturalblonde Sun 17-Aug-08 20:43:49

I would recommend mentioning it to your midwife asap as i have the same thing, and my physio appt is 2 weeks before my due date, so have been suffering for about 6 weeks now sad

naturalblonde Sun 17-Aug-08 20:44:33

Sorry that doesn't make any sense, what i mean is, it can take ages to get an appt with physio so the sooner the better!

pistachio Sun 17-Aug-08 20:57:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chandellina Sun 17-Aug-08 21:07:08

as a precaution, i would start following the guidance on coping with SPD- like keeping your knees together when sitting and sleeping (and rolling over) - lots of web sites with advice.

it crept up on me and i thought it was normal pregnancy stuff until i could barely walk around week 35. Would have been great to see a physio but the earliest appointment was two days before my due date and i had baby a week before that in the end.

Happily, it has totally gone away now, post-birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now