Talk

Advanced search

sore throat and pregnant - what can I do??!

(16 Posts)
Dozymare Sun 17-Aug-08 12:48:16

Am 27 weeks PG and have a bad sore throat. Have tried the usual honey and lemon to no avail....any other remedies??

Thanks

purpleflower Sun 17-Aug-08 12:50:07

I was told I could use strepsils.

Hope you feel better soon.

mum2bagain Sun 17-Aug-08 12:59:29

Lemsips are good and safe. The paracetamol will help with the pain. I always put a little extra honey in it too to soothe my throat. give it a try, Get better soon.

fragola Sun 17-Aug-08 13:10:47

I thought that Lemsips weren't recommended in prgegnancy because of the phenylephrine.

I sucked lots of boiled sweets when I had a sore throat, which seemed to help.

LackaDAISYcal Sun 17-Aug-08 13:15:07

you can get lemsips that are just paracetomol and lemon, but not lemsips iyswim....boots do one without phelylephedrine in.

alternatively if you can get some soluble paracetomol, you can gargle with it and it gets right to the site of the problem.

Gargling with TCP is good too, if a bit horrible, but it helps to kill off the nasty little bugs causing the sore throat.

Dozymare Sun 17-Aug-08 13:17:12

thank you all...will try lemsip but will check for ue in pregnancy

LackaDAISYcal Sun 17-Aug-08 13:18:55

go on dozy...gargle with the tcp....you know you want to grin

SesQal Sun 17-Aug-08 13:19:14

fragola and Daisy are right - don't use Lemsip because of the phenylephrine. There are generic ones with just Paracetamol and vitamin C. If you ask the counter assistants in Boots they should be able to show you.
Hoep you feel better soon.

Dozymare Sun 17-Aug-08 13:20:46

lacks you are making me want to heave - no way could I do the TCP.....am almost retching just thinking about it grin

Cathpot Sun 17-Aug-08 13:21:43

gargle with hot salt water - not nice but it works

LackaDAISYcal Sun 17-Aug-08 13:23:31

sorry wink

Use the soluble paracetomol then. I used to gargle with tcp and either aspirin (obv a no-no at the minute though) or paracetomol when I used to get horrible tonsilitis as a nipper. Gargling much more effective according to my GP.

Dozymare Sun 17-Aug-08 13:25:30

ah saltwater - that is the "Home made" solution" I was looking for. Couldn't check with my mum as she is away! off to boil kettle now

bikerunski Sun 17-Aug-08 14:26:40

Boots Honey, Lemon and Glycerin Linctus is OK during pg. It says so on the bottle, and I checked with the pharmacist too. Not as effective as "proper" drugs, but very sooting. They do a blackcurrant one too.

dorothybunny Mon 18-Aug-08 14:12:23

I went to the Dr's in my last pregnancy with a sore throat that wouldn't go away and he said I had acid reflux with was reaching my throat. Was so suprised as had no idea it could be indigestion/heartburn related and I'd had no other indication this could be the cause. He prescribed Gaviscon. Just a suggestion but do you think this could be whats causing your sore throat?

hanaflower Mon 18-Aug-08 14:14:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ceolas Mon 18-Aug-08 14:15:53

Soluble paracetamol gets my vote. Hope you feel better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now