Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just found out I'm pregnant and I know nothing, help !

(40 Posts)
SandyR Tue 15-Feb-05 14:42:59

After 5 years of trying I'm now about 7 weeks (I think) pregnant. Test positive but told Dr won't see me until 12 weeks. I know nothing about being pregnant or bringing up a baby and am scared I'll do something wrong. Can anyone give me any advice? Apart from my partner I haven't told anyone as we are worried something might go wrong. Am very, very excited and very relieved to have found this website.

FineFigureFio Tue 15-Feb-05 14:46:45

congratulations

usuually, in my experience, you are seen by a midwife or your gp before 12 weeks for a 'booking in' appointment and to book your scan. Things may have changed though as my two are 5 and 3!

beachyhead Tue 15-Feb-05 14:46:56

Work out your due date and then go onto one of the ante-natal club pages - you are probably due in October, so I would introduce yourself there and see what everyone else is up to. Good Luck....

Pidge Tue 15-Feb-05 14:46:58

SandyR - congratulations - that is brilliant news - particularly after waiting so long.

No-one knows anything first time round - but muddle through we do! And mumsnet is the source of great advice. I remember at 6 months pregnant holding a friend's baby and thinking "Yuk, you mean I'm going to have one of these?" ... but becoming a mum has been the best thing that ever happened to me. Enjoy your pregnancy and good luck.

FineFigureFio Tue 15-Feb-05 14:47:48

and you must be so shell shocked after 5 years of trying, i am so happy for you. try not to worry, i think we all panic when we first find out we are pregnant even if it was planned

006 Tue 15-Feb-05 14:48:13

Many congratulations - how exciting! Do try to not panic about stuff.

The start of my pregnancy was absolutely appalling as I lost my Dad and completely neglected diet/sleep and so on, but all is fine. These babies really do take care of themselves. Of course you wont be able to resist buying tons of baby magazines!

I know many doctors don't want to see pregnant ladies until they are 12 weeks or so, but that seems so unreasonable when you are so excited/anxious/psyched up (take your pick .

I asked to be referred early to the midwifery team for my current pregnancy on the basis that it would be too late for a nuchal translucency scan if I wanted. The receptionist did not really know what I was talking about and blinding her withy science seemed to do the trick!

Anyhow, congratulations again! Hope you are feeling well as well as shocked!!

tiredemma Tue 15-Feb-05 14:48:42

congratulations!!!
i found that up until my scan at 16 wks that i didnt actually believe i was pregnant!
i didnt have a clue either but i bought a great book from mothercare which was my bible throughout both of my prgnancies- it was Dr Miriam Stoppards - pregnancy and birth book.
its excellent and has great pictures in it too. id recoomend this book to anyone who needs the answers to EVERYTHING re preganancy.
good luck and congratulations again!

Toothache Tue 15-Feb-05 14:50:35

Yeeaahhh!!! Congratulations! Even with my 2nd baby I was terrified when I found out, so you're not alone.

Firstly, if you have a +ve home test, then you ARE pregnant. Nothing much to do in the 1st few weeks. Just eat healthily, but make note of some of the things to avoid (liver pate, raw eggs, unpasteurised cheeses), although you can be as strict as you like with that. Make sure you start taking folic acid tablets (if you're not already). You can buy them in the chemists.
You will probably feel quite tired in the 1st few weeks, so be nice to yourself. Your body is in the middle of the most amazing transformation you will EVER experience! Enjoy every moment. Nobody knows what they are doing first time around.

Lastly... you have come to the right place!! Mumsnet is the best place ever for advice no matter what time of day or night.

ThomCat Tue 15-Feb-05 14:50:52

Wonderful news, really happy for you.

What is it you're scared of and what specific things can we help you with with regard to answering all the questions running through your head?

Chandra Tue 15-Feb-05 14:51:29

You can be seen by a midwife, just need to make an appointment at your surgery and she will give some valuable advice about what to do at this stage (it mostly relates to what you should or should not eat plus, if you have a cat, you are about to get a 7 months holiday from cleaning its tray )
Congratulations!

Chandra Tue 15-Feb-05 14:52:20

Miriam Stoppards Book is great, very accurate IMO.

prunegirl Tue 15-Feb-05 14:53:23

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Tue 15-Feb-05 14:53:36

congratulations

the normal feelings in your pregnancy will probably be panic, fear, surrealism and joy .. don't worry about it .. they're all normal .. with DS it felt surreal until a good month after he was born

you won't do anything wrong ..

keep taking your folic acid
don't take any medicine without checking with GP (paracetomal fine) or pharmacist first
avoid pate, mould-ripened cheese, too much tuna, swordfish
eat healthily
don't worry about feeling sick or not
don't worry about mood swings or not

have you checked a due date calculator , then find your ante-natal thread group and say hello ?

Congratulations

LapsedGymJunkie Tue 15-Feb-05 14:54:28

Hey stick with us kid you will be alright.

I was married for 8 years before I conceived Ds

Baby Centre on line (or something like that) is good.

I bought loads of books, and the only one that I consistently used was a book called What to Expect when you are Expecting. Short on glossy pictures and big on sensible questions and sensible advice.

OOOOH I am so excited for you and I don't even know you.

Ameriscot2005 Tue 15-Feb-05 14:54:50

Congratulations, Sandy.

Don't worry about knowing nothing - that's where most of us started out. You've got another 7 or 8 months to learn about babies.

Try to enjoy each stage as it comes.

LapsedGymJunkie Tue 15-Feb-05 14:56:17

TC that was really nice of you, are you OK ??

LapsedGymJunkie Tue 15-Feb-05 14:57:50

LOL just read taht TC and it sounds as though I should be surprised that you are a nice person.

Meant to say, are you ok today. ??

handlemecarefully Tue 15-Feb-05 15:01:07

Really thrilled for you - after 5 years of trying wowee!

Echo what the others have said - join an antenatal club on here and you will soon become 'educated'

SandyR Tue 15-Feb-05 15:05:45

thank you all so much for your messages. Now I'm crying (oh dear, hormones already?!), I didn't expect such a wonderful response. I will check out the antenatal club thing, thanks. Mostly scared as its still so early and I truly didn't think we could have a baby, but am trying to relax about it. Also worried as I'm 37, my partner is 50 and this is our first baby. Am taking Pro Natal tablets and not eating cheese, eggs, pate etc. Was worried that I feel so good and not sick or anything but glad to hear that's OK.

Kayleigh Tue 15-Feb-05 15:12:35

SandyR, many congratulations. And welcome to mumsnet

NameChangingMancMidlander Tue 15-Feb-05 15:18:44

Awwwwwwww fantastic ! Congratulations Welcome to mumsnet

Toothache Tue 15-Feb-05 15:20:43

SandyR - The sickness might kick in tomorrow!! I didn't feel nauseous until about 6 or 7 weeks, so brace yourself.

Sounds like you are doin everything 'right'. Best wishes for a wonderful pregnancy. I'm sure we all look forward to that birth announcement in 7mths time!

Everyone is anxious in the early days. You'll feel much better once you've had your scan. Until then it's sometimes hard to believe there's anything there at all.
I cramped for the 1st 3mths of both my pregnancies. I felt like I my period was about to start all the time. But I have 2 bouncing babies to show for it now.

Good luck.

otto Tue 15-Feb-05 15:21:29

Congratulations. Babycentre.co.uk is a good site too. You can key in your due date and get weekly, then monthly updates of how you and your baby are changing. It's very exciting!

gingerbear Tue 15-Feb-05 15:31:13

Congratulations Sandy, like you I was 37 when I had my first baby. There are plenty of older first timers on here too.

I used babycentre.co.uk when I first found out I was pregnant - there were loads of questions I had. I found mumsnet soon after DD was born. You have come to the right place!

Merlin Tue 15-Feb-05 15:34:40

Congrats SandyR - I'm sure you will find this site invaluable - whatever emotion/problem etc you feel during the coming months you can be sure someone on here will have gone through the same thing and will be able to reassure you and offer advice - Mnetters are brilliant!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now