Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

when did you notice a bump when preggers?

(23 Posts)
dinny Sat 16-Aug-08 17:39:30

and when did you wear mat clothes?

mum2bean Sat 16-Aug-08 17:48:52

i first got a mini bump at 4 months, then got a real bump at 6. not really wearing mat clothes, just everyone elses!

dinny Sat 16-Aug-08 17:49:41

wonder how long can keep it hidden at work - porob 6 months max?

tab1 Sat 16-Aug-08 17:50:50

others started noticing bump at 5 months but i was maternity trousers from 3 months as waist disappeared.

Tinkerisdead Sat 16-Aug-08 17:51:55

i was about 10 weeks when clothes were tight but at 16 weeks i had a definate bump. i went straight to over the bump maternity jeans and they were soooo comfy and ive just steadily grown into them.

FruitynNutty Sat 16-Aug-08 17:52:18

my "bump" is out already and I'm only 9 weeks shock I realise I've been eating more than I should lately but my belly is really out of proportion to the rest of my body and it's normally flat (ish)
Depends if this is your 1st or subsequent pregnancy? This is my 2nd which I think is why I'm so big already smile

dinny Sat 16-Aug-08 17:55:35

he, F&N, think we are on March thread together!

yeah, this is my third pregnancy - can't remember when I noticeably looked pregnant with dd and think it wasn't yet with ds (am 11.5 wks)

FruitynNutty Sat 16-Aug-08 18:07:43

oh yeah, I thought I recognised your name smile I've lost track of the March thread, far too long! smile
Are you showing yet?
I still can't get over the size of my tummy, I must have major water retention!

lauraloola Sat 16-Aug-08 18:12:30

9 weeks I was in clothes one size bigger then from 16 weeks my bump suddenly appeared. I got some work trousers from Next with elastic and buttons at the side so that you can adjust to your size.

dinny Sat 16-Aug-08 18:18:25

Fruity - I can see tummy has changed but it isn't at all noticeable to anyone else I wouldn't think

waist is getting thicker though!

elkiedee Sat 16-Aug-08 18:54:25

At work legally you're meant to let them know officially 15 weeks before your due date anyway. First time round some people still seemed surprised when it was announced at about 6.5 months. I don't think I'm showing yet that much at nearly 17 weeks, but suppose I might sooner than last time. I do need to find my maternity clothes and maybe buy a couple more new skirts though, as two of the skirts that saw me through first pregnancy are worn out and 3rd isn't as nice.

dinny Sun 17-Aug-08 15:30:09

is it 15 weeks before? had thought it was less....

CuppaTeaJanice Sun 17-Aug-08 15:39:28

The bump appeared on Christmas day after I'd scoffed all the turkey!!! About 5.5 months at that point.
I didn't buy any maternity tops - just got some 'bump bands' from ebay (lycra tubes that cover the gap between trousers and top). Needed mat trousers at about 6 months. New Look have a good inexpensive range.
Baby was big, though (10lb 4oz)!

OneBoyOneGirl Sun 17-Aug-08 15:50:35

with my first my bump arrived around 16 weeks and i was in maternity clothes at 26 weeks, but must admit with most things i just bought the next size in normal clothes. My second i had a noticable bump at 13/14 weeks and was in maternity clothes at 16 weeks.

nickie2 Mon 18-Aug-08 10:00:33

I could see changes afoot from at least 3 months. When I went for my first scan, I wasn't wearing maternity clothes, but I did have the zip on my skirt half done up. I had to get maternity jeans pretty early on as my normal ones were getting too tight.

I guess because it's my first, I noticed the changes more than usual. Nobody that I hadn't told had noticed the bump though. Probably about five months before I started getting comments...

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 18-Aug-08 10:06:33

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 18-Aug-08 10:08:01

Message withdrawn

bogie Mon 18-Aug-08 10:09:42

1st time with ds I didn't show untill 5 months this time I was showing after a few weeks and I have been huge all the way through.

Wisknit Mon 18-Aug-08 12:09:21

5 months with dcs1&2
This time I have a slight bump at 14 weeks. Shocking!

zoejeanne Mon 18-Aug-08 16:05:25

I started to get a small bump at about 14 weeks (this is my first), but I think it was only noticable to people who knew at that stage - I'm still in most of my normal clothes now (with the help of hair bobbles round buttons!) so can't be much bigger than normal. However this morning 2 people at the swimming pool asked me when I was due - so guessing this is the week I look officially pregnant and not just softer round the middle, if people feel confident enough to ask without running the risk of accusing me of being fat! I'm 22 weeks now, btw

CatIsSleepy Mon 18-Aug-08 16:10:00

FruitynNutty-am 9 weeks too and I think my bump is beginning to show already too, I can't believe it...certain trousers are a bit tight
it's probably not enough for other people to notice though, especially if I wear loose tops

it's my second and i thought my bump was big the first time
this one's going to be huuuuuuuuuge

vogue1 Tue 19-Aug-08 16:36:16

I was bloated from the very beginning although the 'proper'bump came at 4 month. However started to wear maternity clothes much earlier as I felt so comfortable in them...

dan39 Tue 19-Aug-08 19:35:01

zoe I did the hair bobble thing too!! I noticed my bely and waist at 9 weeks tho no one else did, needed bigger/more comfy trousers from then, gave up and bought mat trousers with the elastics at the side at 12 weeks but they were reall uncomfy - went for over the bump stretchy trousers at about 13. Was on hol in France at 14 convinced in a bikini that I just looked fat not preg, but by the time I came home at 15 I had a def bump - which dh noticed when he hugged me! - and am now 16 weeks and ple are starting to comment. Funny enough one of the nice things about showing is that dh now more engaged in the whole thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now