Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Midwife says she can tell baby's sex from it's heartbeat

(18 Posts)
Seabright Fri 15-Aug-08 19:27:26

Anyone else's midwife told them they can do this? She listened to the heartbeat and said "it's a XXXXX", whereas the sonographers have said it's the opposite.

I can't believe you can tell from listening to a heartbeat, can you?

crokky Fri 15-Aug-08 19:31:55

One sex is supposed to beat faster than the other.

But it's utter crap, no way can she just quickly listen to the heartbeat and say what sex the baby is. An unborn baby's heartbeat goes up and down loads anyway.

Wheelybug Fri 15-Aug-08 19:34:28

I think the sonographer might have a better idea !!

With dd she was on a heart trace for about 72 hours prebirth and was showing a heart beat you'd expect for a boy (can't remember which way round they are) !

beanieb Fri 15-Aug-08 19:37:09

Should a Midwife really be doing that?

CountessDracula Fri 15-Aug-08 19:37:44

yeah mine said that
she was wrong though!

fedupandisolated Fri 15-Aug-08 19:42:53

I used to be a midwife and worked with someone who claimed this. Lets be honest - she had a 50/50 chance of being right.

saralou Fri 15-Aug-08 19:43:41

i work with someone who used to be a midwife.. she was right both times!

i never took her word though, but i loved the whole guessing games and old wives tales, it was all for fun!

WorzselMummage Fri 15-Aug-08 19:49:00

its horse for a girl train for a boy

Tatties Fri 15-Aug-08 19:56:59

My midwife got this wrong. Said it was a horse when it turned out to be a train grin Also the prodding around just before you listen to it can make the heart rate increase (girls' heart rate is usually faster)

Flo23 Fri 15-Aug-08 20:06:18

Normal fetal heart rate is between 110 and 160 beats per minute. Boys heart rates are apparently at the lower end of this range, girls supposed to have a faster heart rate.

In my experience, it has been proved wrong many many times!

ScottishMummy Fri 15-Aug-08 20:29:48

sorry total urban myth.falsehood.no clinical basis.fetal heart rate is a range.lower 1st trimester increasing latterly

NotAnOtter Fri 15-Aug-08 20:31:28

if you search the archives there is a link to a study that shows all theorising to be bull...its totally randomn

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 15-Aug-08 20:33:09

Message withdrawn

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 15-Aug-08 22:57:49

Girls' heart rates are usually faster but after they are born - in the uterus it makes no difference - so it's bollocks! How unprofessional.

Dalrymps Fri 15-Aug-08 23:01:33

My midwife said ds sounded 'like a train' and therefore must be a boy. However, she did say not to buy blue just yet as she might be wrong.
My sils parents were told she was a boy from her heartbeat and they bought blue EVERYTHING, oops!

mrsmalumbas Fri 15-Aug-08 23:03:56

Tis bolleaux.

I was assured I was having a boy based on heartbeat.

This boy is called Lydia and loves pink and purple glittery things and barbies. Oh, and she doesn't have a winkle.

imaginewittynamehere Fri 15-Aug-08 23:24:48

It's rubbish. My aunty had non identical twins & was assured that the difference in heartbeats meant she was having a boy & a girl, guess what - 2 girls...

Kif Fri 15-Aug-08 23:26:55

According to that theory I'm a boy... a fact that occasionally still gets brought up by my family to general hilarity.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: