Talk

Advanced search

Low lying placenta at 20 week scan

(12 Posts)
Tessiebear Tue 15-Feb-05 09:19:11

Just found out mine is. Who has had this??? Whose had moved by 34 weeks - whose hadnt???

Titania Tue 15-Feb-05 09:20:19

I had this with dd. It moved my the time I had my scan at 34 weeks. Did they say how low it was?

lockets Tue 15-Feb-05 09:21:28

Message withdrawn

blueteddy Tue 15-Feb-05 09:23:40

Hello Tessiebear!
Hope u get some reassurance about your LLP!

Moomin Tue 15-Feb-05 09:26:11

9 out of 10 move up by 34 weeks scan and then another high proportion of these move up by 38 weeks, so you've probably nothing to worry about. it's very common.

dinosaur Tue 15-Feb-05 09:28:05

I had this with DS3 and it had moved by the time I had a scan at 34 weeks.

Tessiebear Tue 15-Feb-05 09:31:37

lockets - it is posterior
Titania - i am not sure how low exactly
Blueteddy - morning!!!

blueteddy Tue 15-Feb-05 10:03:56

Sounds positive that your LLP will rectify itself dosen't it?!
Have you recieved that call from D yet?

Grommit Tue 15-Feb-05 10:08:44

I had this and was told there is a 90% chance of it moving up by 40 weeks. In my case it didn't move and I had a c-sec at 39 weeks as it was very low. The c-sec went well and now have a lovely ds!

Sallie Tue 15-Feb-05 10:15:26

I had this and it had moved up by 34 weeks. Was actually nice to have a 34 week scan - a bit of a bonus!

thelollipoplady Fri 18-Feb-05 07:59:52

hi tessie - i'm due in june as well and just had the same thing said to me at my 20 week scan. it's really reassuring to see all the reports of placentas that have moved - the statistics of it moving up are really high. my sonographer described it as being like a piece of sellotable stuck onto the side of a balloon that's not fully blown up. As your uterus gets bigger - like the balloon - the placenta moves up and well out of the way. Most of the other research you do on the net will say this as well, although I had a look at a few sites and worried myself sick about placenta praevia! I think the best thing is just to forget about it until the 34 week scan.

All the best tessie x

Ellbell Fri 18-Feb-05 14:07:31

Hi Lollypop and Tessie

Good luck. It is very unlikely that your low-lying placentas at 20 weeks will cause you any problems later. Hold on... I'll just copy in something that I wrote in answer to a similar question a while ago... (haven't worked out how to link to another thread yet!)

20 weeks is far too early to worry about what your placenta is doing IMHO. When I had my DDs, my hospital actually refused to comment on the position of the placenta at the 20 week scan, as they said it was irrelevant. Most placentas, even those which are low-lying at 20 weeks, will 'move' out of the way by the time you approach your EDD.

(The placenta doesn't actually 'move' btw, it just appears to do so. It was explained to me as being like a piece of sellotape stuck to a balloon. When the balloon is deflated, the sellotape might be quite near the bottom, but as you blow the balloon up - or as your uterus expands - the sellotape appears to move higher up the side of the balloon. This is why most placentas will be well out of the way by the time your baby is big enough to be born.) ... Lollypop - think we must have had the same sonographer!

Placenta praevia (when a placenta is low-lying enough to prevent a natural delivery) is 'graded' on a scale of 1 to 4. 1 means that the placenta is just touching the edge of the os (mouth of the cervix), 4 means that the placenta is completely covering the os.

My own experience is that in both my pregnancies my placenta was low-lying at 20 weeks. Of course, because the hospital didn't mention it I wasn't aware of this the first time round. However, at 27 weeks I began to bleed quite heavily. I was admitted to hospital and they discovered that I had grade 4 placenta praevia. (They told me that my placenta was sunk in the os like a plug in a sink.) Because I kept bleeding on and off, I was not allowed home and eventually had my DD by c-section at 36 weeks. Please DON'T PANIC! Apparently it is very rare for this to happen (my hospital saw a couple of cases a year). However, if you know that your placenta is low-lying and you do notice any bleeding, however slight, it's important to get to hospital asap to get it checked out. It is VERY RARE for the placenta to come away completely, but IF it does it is an emergency situation and the baby would have to be delivered immediately.

With my second pregnancy I was inevitably worried about the position of the placenta, but they still didn't want to tell me anything about it at my 20 week scan. In the end I insisted and basically said that I was gonna lie there till they told me where it was (I explained my history) and they did admit that it was low-lying again, though not actually covering the os. I had another scan at 34 weeks to confirm where it was (I wouldn't even have been offered this, btw, if I hadn't insisted on being told where it was at the first scan - they are so convinced that it won't be a problem) and it had 'moved', and I had a very successful VBAC with my 2nd DD.

In other words, I was really unlucky the first time around because I kept bleeding and getting everyone a bit worried. But most of the time it really is NOT a big deal and there is no reason why you shouldn't have a totally normal pregnancy, labour and delivery.

Good luck to both of you...

P.S. Please don't let what I've said about emergency situations worry you. Everyone knows that all kinds of emergencies CAN occur in pregnancy, but mostly they don't! I was very very unlucky... and even so at the end of the day I had a healthy and beautiful DD who was defiitely worth every minute of the 10 weeks I spent in hospital waiting for her to arrive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now