Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

does baby h/beat change over 9mths

(11 Posts)
tommy1 Mon 14-Feb-05 23:01:19

was wondering if anyone knows if the heart rate changes in pregnancy, baby h/rate 154/164 at 24wks preg. maybe girl?

AussieSim Tue 15-Feb-05 03:30:36

Drs, don't give the heart rate method of telling sex any credibility. The only way to know the sex is a good lateish ultrasound or when it is there for you to see with your own eyes. I found out in my 20 weeks scan and utterly refused to speculate beforehand, which didn't stop others. Everyone who would speculate guessed I was having a girl (wishful thinking on their part as I alread have a DS) but I am having a boy, which I am thrilled about. BTW his heart beat was 139.

geekgrrl Tue 15-Feb-05 06:53:10

this whole theory is based on the idea that girl babies are slightly smaller - the smaller the baby the faster the heartbeat (generally) as the blood takes less time going around the body (children start off with a heartbeat that is more than twice as fast as an adult's). I don't think it holds any water - your baby's heart beat can be affected by all sort of things - sleep, a good kicking session etc.

misdee Tue 15-Feb-05 08:10:41

this babies heartbeat was at the 130-150 mark. dd's heartbeats were always around 160. but this one is also a girl. but its fun guessing

Toothache Tue 15-Feb-05 08:12:47

Ds's heartbeat was always around 125-135 bpm. Dd's averaged at around 150bpm. But the weighed exactly the same! It is fun guessing though.

blueteddy Tue 15-Feb-05 08:27:10

I noticed, while attatched to the heart monitor in early labour with ds2, that his heart rate varied from 120 - 170 bpm!
I think it depends on how active your baby is at the time!

teabelly Tue 15-Feb-05 09:16:26

It's definitely only a guessing game, but they generally say less than 140 = boy, and for most of my friends who've followed this 'rule' it has been correct...so possibly...I'd go with it but then I'm a sucker for all old wives tales

MommyD Tue 15-Feb-05 10:41:51

I have had two boys and listening in from about 20 weeks BOTH boys pretty much constant at 135-145.

I am not sure about how this might change over a pregnancy, although I am pretty sure it was the same all the way through, for me. Being a worrier, I am sure I would have questioned it if had changed in either pregnancy!!

I am pg with number 3. I do not want to know the sex (we did with ds 1&2). I want to try and guess. The midwife listened in a couple of weeks back and it was 160, which got me thinking maybe a girl this time. It was early days, I could not tell whether the baby was moving and for all I know it could have been a baby boy all pumped up and doing the tango..... I'd quite like a girl for a change, but would no doubt be honoured to be the Mum of three strapping lads!

Have you felt the same this pg as with your other three, tommy1???? I have been much sicker in this one. With my first two, not a day's nausea, with this one it's been nausea 24x7 for 2 months!!!!

HunkerMunker Tue 15-Feb-05 10:52:32

DS was 150ish and he was 8lb 10oz. Also VERY active (thought he was going to kick his way out through my tummy some days!).

tommy1 Tue 15-Feb-05 14:38:20

mommyD i have felt yuk really all way through this prg, not so much sick but not blooming should one say! my first 2 sons were with different partner(ex hub) and i was so sick with them both!! no.3 son no sickness and no.4 just yuk. very low bump, quite moody, back ache , you name it! got midwife this wk , as not seen anyone since 16wks, now 28wks, talk about laid back new system for low risk mums!

Twiglett Tue 15-Feb-05 14:40:49

DS' heartbeat was around 160s throughout (8lb at 39 weeks)

DD's heartbeat was around 140s (7lb 2 at 39 weeks)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now