Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else gained very little weight in pregnancy - was your baby ok? (TMI

(30 Posts)
ajm200 Thu 14-Aug-08 17:14:24

Hi Everyone,

I'm a little concerend that I have not gained anywhere near enough weight this pregnancy and that my baby may be very small as a result.

I had only gained 8lb by 28 weeks then developed a really bad cough that is preventing me keeping down food. I've now lost over 3lb making my total pregnancy weight gain at 31 weeks less than 5lb. The Dr seems unconcerned but the MW is starting to worry as my baby bump is starting to measure a few weeks short of my dates.

My other concerns for this baby are my constant anaemia, exhaustion and need to take meds to stop the cough.. I've been threatened with hospitalisation if I don't get more rest but resting is impossible with a constant cough/vomiting and a very active toddler

Anyone been in a similar situation, what was the outcome?

ajm200 Thu 14-Aug-08 17:23:19

bump

lou33 Thu 14-Aug-08 17:30:58

a friend of mine gained only 14lbs during her first pregnancy and had a healthy 7lb boy

i would go see your consultant if you are concerned though

Ewe Thu 14-Aug-08 17:35:13

Are you very skinny? Tbh, I wouldn't worry, providing you get better quickly you have plenty of time to put more weight on. Also, the baby takes everything it needs, you're the one who will end up thinner/weaker etc.

Presume you are taking pregnacare or similar? Are you on iron (spatone or floradix) for anaemia?

DillyTanty Thu 14-Aug-08 17:35:53

have they scanned you? the midwife should be asking for a scan if she's worried, and saying nothing if she's not.
i actually lost weight when pregnant with dd, she came at 38 weeks cos my waters broke early and was a very respectable 6 and a half pounds. we were scanned a lot because people with high BP (me) can develop placenta problems and she kept to her slightly-below-average growth line the whole time. (dh and i are also slightly below average btw. grin)
if you are fearful, always get a scan. ask the midwife why she's not pushing for one if she's tutting at you.
re my weight loss... i have PCOS normally, my suspicion is that when i'm pregnant my insulin levels etc actually work properly for once. smile

SNoraWotzThat Thu 14-Aug-08 17:39:29

After very bad morning sickness I lost weight and then only gained approx 7lb with dd1. She was a healthy 6"12oz baby.

dd2 was totally different.

kys Thu 14-Aug-08 17:47:54

Try not to worry, I only gained 8lb while pregnant with my ds. I was v underweight before i fell pregnant and hardly showed at all. When i went on maternity leave at 37 wks someone even asked why i was leaving!!! The mw was worried about my low bmi and i had monthly scans to check the babys growth, he was born 2wks early weighing 5lb 7lb and totally healthy. Sometimes they dont think before they speak and end up worrying people needlessly.

Tidgypuds Thu 14-Aug-08 17:56:46

I wouldnt worry, i gained very little weight during my 2nd pregnancy (due to finding out about ExH affair) I was eating well but not a great deal and was actually losing weight, there was a lot of worry about not eating enough calories to sustain the pregnancy, they measured bump, scanned and I had to see the dietician. DD was born weighing 7lb 15oz. I think there was a lot of worry for nothing.

It was me that wasnt putting on weight not the baby as the day after I gave birth they weighed me and I was 6 stone sad

ajm200 Thu 14-Aug-08 17:58:20

The MW has started to suggest that a scan might be needed but they are so unreliable. My DS was thought to be a big baby estimated to be 10lb+, he was only 8.4. Last time, I gained nearly 2 stone.

I'm taking spatone and pregnacare and trying to eat but not managing to keep much down.
The problem that is causing the vomiting isn't likely to go away until after the baby is born either as the meds that have eased my symptoms slightly have caused nasty side effects for me (nothing that would harm baby)and I might have to stop them which means going back to constant coughing and sickness.

bamboostalks Thu 14-Aug-08 17:58:45

On the day I gave birth to my daughter (7lbs 8), I weighed less than I had at the beginning of my pregnancy. I had terrible morning sickness, lost loads, then went off loads of food and could not keep anything down. However baby was always good for dates so I would ask for a scan. Good Luck.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 14-Aug-08 18:04:56

If you are scanned, ensure you have at least a couple. Predicting weights via scan is quite unreliable, however if you have more than one scan they can tell whether the baby is increasing in size, ie a trens can be plotted.

I don't weigh myself during pg, but I am sure I don't put that much on. I grow a big bump, but I actually lose weight from other places. DS1 was 9lb 1oz and I'm sure this lo will be about the same.

callmeovercautious Thu 14-Aug-08 18:11:50

I lost weight for ages, at the end of PG I was the same as my pre PG weight. 2 weeks after I was a stone lighter. I had some extra weight on me to start with though. DD was 7.4.

KnockOffNorbert Thu 14-Aug-08 18:37:04

I put on 2 kg from weeks 7 to about 16 then stayed the same throughout - no one seems worried about it (MW even said well done!) but I am overweight anyway. THe main thing is really is that your not lacking anything, and your not too thin or anything. Take a pregnancy supplement (rather than just folic acid), I presume baby really needs vitamins etc. rather than calories as such. As long as your eating a decent amount I am sure it'll be fine, obv. request scans etc. (if they haven't given them already) if you ar worried/baby is measuring small etc. My baby (this time) was actually big on the last scan, and with DS I put on about 2-3 stone he measured small and was 6lb6oz, so it's not always an indicator. {{hugs}}

nancy75 Thu 14-Aug-08 18:42:21

i didnt gain any weight during my pregnancy, i went from a size 12/14(about 10 stne) pre pregnancy to a size 10 at around 20weeks, at full term i was a little under 10stone. i measured small on the fundal heighht measurement thingy but scans showed everything was ok and dd was 7lb 8oz and fine.
my friend who was pregnant at the same time put on 4 1/2 stone and her dd was exactly the same size as mine.

PInkyminkyohnooo Thu 14-Aug-08 18:46:48

You need to make sure you are eating as well as you can, for your own body's sake as much as anything. I lost weight with two HG pregnancies and the babbies were fine. I was not well, though.

PInkyminkyohnooo Thu 14-Aug-08 18:47:24

babies- lol not babbies!

oopsacoconut Thu 14-Aug-08 18:49:54

Hiya

I am still 1 and half stone lighter than when I fell pregnant - had HG and lost close to 2.5 stone now so picked up some but unlikely to make up a stone and a half in 8 days! MW not worried and bubs is growing nicely. MAke sure what you eat is good for you not just junk to make up weight.

DillyTanty Thu 14-Aug-08 19:27:09

v good point about the unreliability of scans, actually. my consultant says that while he always gets it right wink, a surprising amount of sonographers don't. so yes, you want a line to follow. (i TOTALLY suspect it's fine and you're just feeling low and panicked cos you're not well right now, it must be knackering being sick all the time.) but you need to know, for your peace of mind. smile

elkiedee Thu 14-Aug-08 19:28:11

I gained 4 lb between 12 and 40 weeks due to sickness/acid/appetite loss, and people told me they thought I'd lost weight beforehand. Baby was 7 lb 7 oz and was ok. Unfortunately I've put it all on and more since then and don't seem to be about to lose it in this pregnancy.

mum2bean Thu 14-Aug-08 19:32:00

before my pregnancy i weighed 7and a half stone (bad i know) im now 30 weeks gone and now weigh 9 stone, and my last scan revealed a fairly big baby (1lb2oz) i just seem to have a belly and nothing else.
i was worried but my MW seems unconcerned as i was so small to begin with.

Zebraa Thu 14-Aug-08 20:57:57

I am 5ft 10 and at 9 months I weighed 10st 3lbs. When I gave birth I had a tiny belly bump but within a week it was like it'd never happened, not a mark or bump. When I started bfing, I lost too much weight and so had to stop and switch. It's perfectly normal, everyone is different.

My DS was 8lbs 6 by the way! Just to put your mind at rest.

Zebraa Thu 14-Aug-08 21:00:32

I should add that I suffered a bit because I had little support in terms of weight and my bp was sky high at times and was hospitalised for back pain and sickness. I think it's better for you to gain weight but your baby will be fine.

Don't worry honey

ajm200 Fri 15-Aug-08 08:30:42

I'm glad to hear that all of your babies were fine. I am just feeling very low at the moment and I guess it is adding to my worries.

Zebraa Fri 15-Aug-08 11:16:00

Have you had a scan recently, since you've been feeling unwell and losing weight?

If not, why not request a scan, just take yourself down to the hosp and get checked out. If it's going to put your mind at rest, it must be worth it?

Hope you're not suffering too much. I promise it will all be worth it in the end.

mummy2t Fri 15-Aug-08 15:02:34

i lost weight for the first 22 weeks of my second pregnancy, not through illness , i just lost weight, how i dont know cause i was eating like a pig, bubba was taking it all i think. even when i was at delivery day i looked and felt thinner than i did before, just with a bump on my front, sounds daft i know. baby was born at 37 weeks and weighed 6lb8oz so not a bad size to say he was early. ds1 was born at 36 weeks and weighed 6lb2oz and i had very servere morning sickness and didnt keep anything down much for the 20 weeks. did effect bubba, just me. they take everything they need and if there is anything left over you get it. cheer up and good luck to you xxxxxxxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now