Talk

Advanced search

6wks pregnant and due to have wisdom tooth out under general anesthetic

(13 Posts)
babypringle Thu 14-Aug-08 16:43:01

i think i know what the answer is, but I've just found out I'm pregnant and I am due to have a wisdom tooth removed under general anesthetic next month - can I have a GA whilst pregnant? Obviously I don't want to harm the baby but I've been waiting two months already for the operation, the tooth is infected so I really do not think I can wait until after the baby is born in April. Has anyone else been in the same situation?

hanaflower Thu 14-Aug-08 16:44:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

babypringle Thu 14-Aug-08 16:45:48

but it's driving me mad, i'll remove it myself with rusty scissors if it isn't removed shortly ...

PetitFilou1 Thu 14-Aug-08 16:47:36

No, I don't think so. I'd ring the dentist who is due to do the op and ask for advice particularly as it is infected.

geordieminx Thu 14-Aug-08 16:49:47

Is there no way they can do it locally?

geordieminx Thu 14-Aug-08 16:49:48

Is there no way they can do it locally?

babypringle Thu 14-Aug-08 16:51:46

the consultant didn't really give me an option. i think the roots are a bit odd. from what i've googled, consultants prefer removing under GA because they can be rougher!

hanaflower Thu 14-Aug-08 16:51:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MiniMarmite Thu 14-Aug-08 17:18:04

This was on babyworld.co.uk:

Wisdom teeth
Q 'I have just been told by my dentist that I have two rotting wisdom teeth that need extracting and he is referring me to the hospital for this to be done. He says it is routine to have a local anaesthetic whilst pregnant and not harmful to the baby. Is this true? He offered me antibiotics if the teeth were painful but as they are not I declined them. I asked if I could take them safely if the teeth were to get painful and he also said yes. I'm 10 weeks and very anxious to do things right.'

A. 'It is generally wise to avoid medication during pregnancy, and this is especially important during the time when the foetus is most likely to be affected by external influences (weeks 3-11). However, there is no evidence that local anaesthetics are harmful in the early stages of pregnancy. Large doses of local anaesthetics can have harmful effects later on in pregnancy, especially around the time of delivery. Procedures to remove wisdom teeth are often carried out under general anaesthetic, and I would advise that you discuss this issue with the oral surgeon to whom you have been referred, to make sure that the operation can be done under a local.'

'General anaesthetics vary in their potential effects. The main risk associated with these agents is a possible increase in the risk of spontaneous miscarriage. There is no known association with congenital abnormalities. When a procedure requiring a general anaesthetic is necessary, the usual recommendation is to wait until you have passed 11-12 weeks. Should a general anaesthetic be necessary, arrangements can be made for you to see the anaesthetist prior to the operation taking place to discuss the procedure and any possible risks associated with it.'

geordieminx Thu 14-Aug-08 17:36:21

Basically if it is necessary then I would wait another 2 months to be on the safe side sad

You have my sympathies though - I've had 3 taken out - I know how horrible they can by - although mine were all under local - I was pregnant at the time of one of them, but the dentist woman said it really needed to come out, she had a child herself so I trusted her IYKWIM?

AlexandraPeppernose Thu 14-Aug-08 20:45:52

I had to have surgery and the surgeon refused until I was well into my 2nd semester. HTH

AlexandraPeppernose Thu 14-Aug-08 20:47:18

I had to have surgery and the surgeon refused until I was well into my 2nd trimester. HTH

babypringle Thu 14-Aug-08 20:54:46

thanks everyone. i've got my first midwife appt on monday so i will go thru it with her before phoning the dental consultant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now