Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

slightly embarrassing urine odor question

(9 Posts)
corgikelly Thu 14-Aug-08 14:48:49

It really is true that one loses all modesty while pregnant...I can't believe I'm about to ask this question of people I've never met!

Ahem. To make a long story short, my urine has smelled funny for about a week. To be more precise, it smells like bacon.

I have a relatively long history of UTIs, so I'm always on the alert for a potential infection and can usually read my body well enough to head them off super-early. But other than this odd smell, nothing seems amiss.

Has this side effect happened to anyone? Should I be worried? (on a strictly metaphorical and non-medical level, I associate bacon with protein, and protein in the urine is a no-no, correct?)

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 14-Aug-08 14:58:01

my wee smells funny - not like bacon but not quite normal! I think it's normal in pregnancy.

Bluebutterfly Thu 14-Aug-08 15:03:16

Is it a funny colour? Or is it nice and clear like water?

Is it uncomfortable when you go?

See your gp if you are worried!

Bluebutterfly Thu 14-Aug-08 15:04:25

Also - when I was pg I had a very heightened sense of smell. Do other things smell different and/or stronger than pre-pgy?

corgikelly Thu 14-Aug-08 15:09:42

Haven't noticed any other smells in my daily life...

The wee isn't a funny colour, but it is probably slightly darker than it should be (I have a loooong history of not drinking enough water and always being slightly dehydrated).

Think I'll wait and see, try to drink more water, and go see the gp if any other symptoms develop.

Thanks!

balanomorey Fri 15-Aug-08 18:52:56

Hi
Just came across your post and had the same, but after I'd given birth....hadn't smelled it before then. TBH at the time, I was so wrapped up in the turmoil of a new baby that I didn't ask about it and with all the samples of wee they ask for after the birth, nobody commented on it so I assumed all must have been been OK & that it was normal.

Strangely enough, I was convinced last week I was in the very early stages of pregnancy, literally a few weeks...I had lots of symptoms and one of the things that led me to believe this was that I weed and had the bacon smell again!...period came this week - but it has been an unusual one and not progressed as it normally does maybe suggesting that maybe I did catch, but it never came to anything.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've had the bacon thing going on and it is obviously somehow linked to pregnancy. How far gone are you? I wondered if I had it because my dd was overdue (she was nearly 10 days late)and I wondered if it was more to do with the lochia than the wee. But maybe you should just mention it to your midwife to be on the safe side - would love to know what she says.

Sorry I can't be of much more help, but just to say I experienced it too and had a normal pregnancy & gave birth to a healthy dd smile. Good luck and take care. x.

Kezza7779 Fri 15-Aug-08 20:24:17

PMSL @ bacon!!!! that made me chuckle!

itstim Fri 26-Sep-08 22:39:13

My three year old daughter has recently had wee wee smelling like uncooked bacon....obviously she is not pregnant and had no STD's. Her urine test came back neg for wide spectrum analysis.

I am stumped. She is has temp swings quite high. Been controlling them with kids panadol.

To be honest, I have lost confidence in doctors in this country over the years. I almost always seek information on the internet. That is why i am here.

RaggedRobin Sat 27-Sep-08 21:58:12

err... yes blush!

happened to me with both pregnancies. both were absolutely fine, but i always wondered whether other people could smell me too!! blushblush

it went away when babies arrived if that helps!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now