Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chicken Pox

(3 Posts)
bikerunski Thu 14-Aug-08 10:52:34

I am 35+2. One of the girls in my antenatal class has just found out that her nephew, who she babysits, has chicken pox. She doesn't know if she has been exposed.

I have had chicken pox (about 30 years ago!), do I need to avoid her (I'd rather not!) just in case? What about Shingles?

gem1981 Thu 14-Aug-08 11:43:48

not 100% sure best to check with your MW

if you have had it then you should have the antibodies.

I am not sure about shingles though.

be sure to give your MW a quick ring becuase if you do contract it and you have it whilst you are delivering then there is risk you can pass it to baby.

don't want to worry but its always best to be on the safe side i feel.

i came into contact with someone who had chicken pox in this pregnancy and as i have never had it i went into panic mode -phoned mw and she ran some tests and it reassured me.

HTH

LittleMyDancingForJoy Thu 14-Aug-08 11:51:30

If you've had chicken pox you can't get it again. Shingles is possible although rare, but because it's a resurgence of the same virus, rather than a new infection, no problem for pregnant women iirc.

Has the girl in your class had chicken pox? If she's had it, she can't carry it except on her skin, i.e. if she touched one of her nephew's spots and then touched you almost straight away. So as long as she washes her hands, she can't carry it unless she's never had it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now