Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! Chickenpox

(8 Posts)
babyignoramus Wed 13-Aug-08 10:11:43

My sister and 2 year old niece were due to be coming to visit me this weekend, but DN poss has chickenpox. We are still planning to go to them regardless as I want to see my parents but I am 12 weeks pg - I had chickenpox when I was 11 - am I ok to be around her if she has it?

Ta!

MiniMarmite Wed 13-Aug-08 10:18:06

Hi BabyI

I think the only risk is if you haven't previously had chicken pox. NHS guidance here: www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=1109

PortAndLemon Wed 13-Aug-08 10:19:23

If you've had it you should be fine.

Tapster Wed 13-Aug-08 10:44:48

Warning I had it as a child and then caught it from my baby niece when i was 30, at the time the GP said that it was increasingly common to get it twice. Stay clear to be on the safe side.

fragola Wed 13-Aug-08 10:55:26

My brother had chickenpox as a child and then caught it again when he was in his twenties. It is possible.

babyignoramus Wed 13-Aug-08 12:12:09

Thanks all - have done some research (thanks for link MiniMarmite). Apparently if I catch it again it is a reactivation of the same virus which poses no threat to bubba. Only first time catchers are in trouble. We're keeping our fingers crossed it's a false alarm - have been planning this weekend for ages - typical!

ChocOrange05 Wed 13-Aug-08 12:12:23

A colleague at work recently had shingles (same virus) so I was advised to see my doctor. Apparently it depends if you are immune to the virus or not and even if you have had chicken pox before it doesn't mean you are immune. The check should be done routinely at your first blood tests so your doctor / MW should know whether you are immune. Give them a call and ask.

babyignoramus Thu 14-Aug-08 12:12:16

Thanks again everyone - niece has been to the docs and it was a false alarm. Huzzah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now