Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is the arrival of DC2 as 'exciting' as the arrival of a first baby?

(9 Posts)
jenniferturkington Wed 13-Aug-08 09:21:04

I am pg with DC2, all being well it will be born in Feb. Looking back at when ds arrived I remember how exciting everything was. Dh and I were obsessed with this little bundle, watching him constantly (doing nothing generally!), everything was a joint effort and ds took up every minute in those early days. I spent hours breastfeeding, with DH adjusting cushions, checking websites for infon on latch etc etc
I just wonder what happens with subsequent babies? I'm worried that it won't be as 'new', and the baby will not get the same sort of all consuming attention? My ds will be 20 months when dc2 arrives.

broccolispears Wed 13-Aug-08 09:24:33

I don't think there's a general rule - every family will react differently.

For me, I enjoyed the arrival of DC2 so much more because I was relaxed and confident and took the time to love having him instead of worrying that I was doing everything wrong.

The fact that you are already worrying about DC2's arrival suggests to me that it will be just as enormously important and wonderful in your family as the first one.

hatrick Wed 13-Aug-08 09:25:56

Message withdrawn

jollyjolly Wed 13-Aug-08 09:26:52

Now this is just my opinion and i'm sure its different for others.
I was has 2 ds's, ds1 was 15 months when ds2 was born. I was very concerned about ds1 being left out, so when ds2 arrived and was napping most of the day i didn't have loads of time to sit and stare at him, i wish i did. I did have some time becuase i had an emergency section so couldn't do too much with ds1. But i definitly couldn't give my second son the attention that my first had.

It was very exciting and lovely to have a baby in the house again, but it was never as peaceful as it was with my first, and certainly isn't now, they are 2 yrs and 10 months. busy busy.

For me it wasn't as new, because i'd done it befre, but it was special in its own way. I think its important not have any expectations of how it will be and to try not to compare, because having a 2nd child is just as special for its own reasons.

Hope that makes sense, and enjoy enjoy enjoy

blinks Wed 13-Aug-08 09:34:13

agree with broccoli- it's not as "exciting" but it's more enjoyable in a way because you're more relaxed and confident.

aurorec Wed 13-Aug-08 09:45:55

DC2 is due in 3 weeks, and I am soooo excited! I haven't had a chance to focus on the pregnancy as much as the 1st time round, DD is 2.5 and VERY active, but not that it's so close I can't wait.

The main difference I guess has been the lack of shopping grin I am re-using the cot/bedding/nursing stuff, but I went to Mothercare a couple of weeks ago and bought some tiny boy PJs and onesies- aaahhh! I just washed them in preparation for packing my hospital bag, and it's suddenly made it so much more real.
I can't wait to have an infant again, to be able to nurse etc.

And it will be so exciting to see how DD reacts to her little brother.

cherrylips Wed 13-Aug-08 12:44:53

yes, yes , yes!

belgo Wed 13-Aug-08 12:46:15

I'm pregnant with dc3 and I'm finding this pregnancy and the prospect of having another baby every bit as exciting as having babies one and two.

elmosgirl Wed 13-Aug-08 12:48:55

My DD1 was 18 months when DD2 arrived. I found the pregnancy very different, I just didn't have time to spend hours looking over baby books and stuff. I wasn't as excited second time round.

But when she was born it was just as amazing as with DD1, she doesn't get as much time and no chance of sitting gazing at her on the sofa all day with a toddler around but everything is just as special.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now