Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

oooooooo bigger home means i can consider a home birth doesnt it?

(22 Posts)
misdee Tue 12-Aug-08 20:10:25

so what do i need to know?

[gets excited!]

Flossish Tue 12-Aug-08 20:11:33

torch
cushions
old duvet
decorating sheets
cool music

Why does it being bigger mean its ok to do it when not before BTW?

misdee Tue 12-Aug-08 20:13:47

our bungalow means no room to swing a small kitten let alone give birth in lol. its quite cramped here.

actually ther hallway would be the best place space wise here
hehe.

PetitFilou1 Tue 12-Aug-08 20:18:51

waterproof groundsheets and lots of them (apparently) - ask me in two weeks when I've done it grin

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 12-Aug-08 20:26:25

Only if you escape the claws of GD wink.

misdee Tue 12-Aug-08 20:27:39

yes and if baby turns the right way in time as well.

so far so good regarding GD though lol.

bohemianbint Tue 12-Aug-08 20:29:07

Our house is 2 up 2 down but I had a Hb last time and aiming for another one this time! Will be a helluva squeeze putting the birth pool up in the front room though and will have to make sure the blinds are well shut... wink

misdee Tue 12-Aug-08 20:37:21

birthing pool wouldnt fit in here, footspa might wink

have asked dh, he said i would panic that midwife wouldnt get there in time. told him he could catch if needed! he wasnt amused lol.

bohemianbint Tue 12-Aug-08 20:45:47

misdee - am getting really worried about that myself! First baby took about 4 hours from start to finish so paranoid this one mught fly out before anyone can get here! Have two friends whose fellas ended up delivering their 2nd babies because they came so fast...

Tangle Tue 12-Aug-08 23:06:02

Hmm - I'd rather have DH catch at home with MWs on the way than have DH catch in the car in a layby...

Mary Cronk has a list of suggested equipment for a homebirth on her website. The link given here is actually to the homebirth uk website (if you haven't come across it), which is a wealth of information

btw - DD was breech and born at home wink

Ceolas Tue 12-Aug-08 23:10:26

Great idea. You're a pro by now anyway

misdee Wed 13-Aug-08 08:42:21

i di give birth quite quickly through. even with dd1 and from waters breaking to actually giving birth was 36 hours, the actual contractions/dilated stage was only a few hours.

dd2 woke up in labour, had her in under two hours.

dd3 waters were broken late afternoon, contractions to giving birth was under 3hours.

am just thinking it will be easier child care wise.my mum can sit in the kitchen making us tea and toast and keeping an eye on the kids.

honeyapple Wed 13-Aug-08 09:00:03

just to say- i bought a load of plastic for covering the floor and didnt use any of it- still in it's packaging...

instead i lay an old sleeping bag and duvet on the floor which was fine- not as much gunge as you might think!

good luck
xx

Tangle Thu 14-Aug-08 13:08:10

I think it depends on what type of flooring you've got and how attached to it you are. You don't know how much water you're carrying around, or how fast its going to come out. You don't know how much blood or meconium there's going to be.

You can get a cheap groundsheet from B&Q for a fiver, and that way you're covered. Literally

lubyluby Thu 14-Aug-08 13:11:19

misdee- you can have a home birth anywhere, i ahve delivered a lady in a caravan with her 3 other children watching!
see your midwife and ask to book a home birth, you can alwasy chaneg your mind at a later date, even when you go into labour you can say bugger this i'm off to hopsital.

belgo Thu 14-Aug-08 13:11:56

Sounds like a great idea Misdee, I'm hoping for a second home birth in October.

This is a list Thankyouandgoodnight posted on another thread, also someone else suggested anglepoise lamp:

Thankyouandgoodnight on Wed 13-Aug-08 21:28:47
Tea and biscuits for the midwives

Your antenatal notes

Max of 10 towels (all wash fine!)

1 enorm large cheapo plastic sheet from B&Q / material shower curtains (as non slip)

One hospital bag for you and baby just incase

Gym /birthing ball for you / other things you might find helpful(!)

Maternity pads for immediately post shower

Pack of pampers disposable changing mats to put under you to absorb bleeding pre-shower(unless midwives bring inco pads)

Paracetamol for after pains

Arnica 200cc (if you fancy)

Camera

Blanket / clothes for baby etc

Surface for midwives to write etc

Plastic bowl to be sick in just incase

sweetkitty Thu 14-Aug-08 13:27:33

I had my second homebirth 4 weeks ago, this is what I had:

- Asda smartprice shower curtains (about 4) 2 on bed 2 round bed, secured in place with Asda smartprice fitted sheet
- maternity mats from Boots (changing mats would do MWs never bring enough inco pads)
- about half a dozen old towels
- supersoft kitchen roll (for mopping up)

erm that was about it, MWs brought lovely gas and air and everything else (well it was delivered about a week before)

Had a standard hospital bag packed just in case and it's also good to have everything in one place like sanitary towels, nightie, clothes for the baby etc

Also had co-codamol for afterpains (they were horrendous this time sorry) and Diamorphine in case I needed it.

We don't have room for a pool and my labours are too fast to fill it anyway, I laboured on my bed on my v shaped pillow with the gas and air in the foetal position.

sweetkitty Thu 14-Aug-08 13:29:20

Oh forgot MWs asked for a hard clear surface just incase they needed to give the baby some oxygen etc

babylove123 Thu 14-Aug-08 14:01:49

Thanks,

this has been v informative for me. I am 25 weeks pregnant and off to see mw this aft to say i want a homebirth.........wish me luck!

FruitynNutty Thu 14-Aug-08 14:03:32

My flat is teeny tiny but I'm still hoping for a homebirth hmm

belgo Thu 14-Aug-08 14:04:33

good luck babylove!

babylove123 Fri 15-Aug-08 13:02:52

Spoke to the midwife about homebirth - said thats what i wanted. She didnt say no but didnt seem enthusiastic about it. She said that they would have to have someone come out and assess my home for suitability (wont be a prob, have a 3 bed house) and then it'll be a case of seeing what they say at that apt because they'll discuss me being overweight etc. I know they say the heavier you are, the more likely your muscles cant push the baby out and you'll need an assisted delivery but my muscles are pretty strong and im damn well gonna give it a go!!!!! lol

Guess we'll see!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now