Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Kidneys and bladder distended at anomaly scan

(4 Posts)
Bex300 Tue 12-Aug-08 18:12:03

Hi, just wondered if anyone else has had similar problems and how common this was?

Our baby (boy) was found to have a slight blockage somewhere at the 20 week scan- his kidneys and bladder were quite distended. We have just had another scan at 25 weeks and his left kidney is now much worse at 14mm which seemed to concern the consultant but he said they dont need to do anything until he is born and plenty of people survive with just the one kidney.

We have another scan in 4 weeks but I really dont want to go in case its worse still (I will go- its just horrible not being able to do anything!)

hope you all happy and healthy xx

greenlawn Tue 12-Aug-08 18:44:14

Very common in boys - try not to worry! DS1 had this but it resolved itself - so he had anti-bs for ages after he was born as a precaution, and extra scans - I think the last was when he was about 6 months old.

Bex300 Tue 12-Aug-08 19:07:34

Cheers greenlawn, thats what I need to hear! The consultant did mention surgery after he is born..fingers crossed for it resolving itself and just a course of antibiotics, thanks x

pleasechange Tue 12-Aug-08 19:46:51

We had this at an antenatal scan, and so DS had a postnatal scan at 1 week old and his kidneys were then fine. Like greenlawn's DS, our DS was on antibiotics until then as a precaution.

We've been told that this is very common for boys at antenatal scans, so please try not to worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now