Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Will I ever enjoy food again?

(22 Posts)
Cosmogirl Tue 12-Aug-08 17:16:06

Hi,

I have only had morning sickness [more like all day nausea] for a week but it feels like a lifetime. My relationship with food, not to mention my sense of smell, has completely changed and I am mourning the me that used to get excited about ham and pineapple pizza or some chinese food.

I feel sick constantly, and am trying to eat regularly, but nothing really appeals....I need some positive stories or hope that this will pass, and I will enjoy food again. I can't imagine feeling like this for 9 months....I am 7 weeks today.....

TIA

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 12-Aug-08 17:22:08

It will pass - I just can't tell you when!

There will come a point in the pg where you have to say to yourself 'Cosmo, step away from the food' blush grin

I know it feels awful at the moment, but it will get better. Just keep repeating it to yourself!

Pruners Tue 12-Aug-08 17:28:23

Message withdrawn

MrsTittleMouse Tue 12-Aug-08 17:32:08

Oh dear, you have my sympathy. I have to say that my relationship with food wasn't great through all of my first pregnancy, even though the morning sickness went away. Didn't stop me from being ravenous and scoffing vast amounts of cake at the end though. I think I was making up for lost time in the first trimester.

Cosmogirl Tue 12-Aug-08 17:33:08

Thank you both smile I really needed to hear that it does go away. This feels like a life sentence at the moment and no matter how many people tell me 'it is a good sign'....I just want it to end! Sounds dreadful I know...

ChocOrange05 Tue 12-Aug-08 17:39:58

Tia - I am 28+3 today and food has been the biggest difficulty / inconvienience during my pregnancy. While pre-pregnancy I was completely unfussy, would try anything and liked (almost) everything, during pregnancy I have become unbelievable fussy and completely gone off meat and fish. Which for someone who LOVES food is a real pain.

Having said that it hasn't stopped me eating and when food is put in front of me I'm fine but I have been so indecisive during pregnancy that I never know what I want to eat so sometimes end up wondering around the shops until something takes my fancy, I often find deciding the day before what I am going to eat the next day helps. Since the beginning when I ate very little my appetite has been increasing (in terms of portion sizes).

I have no idea if this will change post pregnancy but I hope so too.

Sorry if this post hasn't made you feel more optimistic but just wanted to share that you're not alone!

littleducks Tue 12-Aug-08 17:40:25

I had hyperemesis twicw, hated food but right at the end of both pregnancies i liked a bit too much!

Good luck with the pregnancy and feel better soon

aurorec Tue 12-Aug-08 17:53:42

It will feel like forever but it will pass eventually.

And when it does pass you'll immediately forget how bad it was. I was sick like a dog for my 1st pregnancy, at the time thought there was no way I go through it again. Then it went away, until I got pregnant again that is.... grin

MrsTittleMouse Tue 12-Aug-08 17:55:53

It does go away completely - as soon as I wasn't pregnant any more I felt completely fine. It was quite a shock to be able to eat anything again, and I spent a while not eating things out of habit and then thinking "hang on a minute, I like eggs normally" and gorging on soft boiled eggs and soldiers.

aurorec Tue 12-Aug-08 18:36:36

The day I was able to have coffee again I nearly cried... grin

ten10 Tue 12-Aug-08 18:46:41

Have lots of sympathy for you
I had absolutely no appetite, just didn't want to eat anything
and was sick at least twice a day for the first 12 weeks (give or take a few days)

but once it went away I had a lovely pregnancy and really enjoyed being pregnant,
fingers crossed you have an easy pregnancy too after a difficult start

Qally Tue 12-Aug-08 20:54:41

My morning sickness was so horrible I was given meds for it - apparently they're loathe to do that. Then it just went - two weeks to adjust (felt vaguely unwell through habit, if that makes sense) and now I scoff everything in sight with greater pleasure than ever before.

I lost half a stone in the first trimester. I've gained 3 and a half since. That tells it all, really. ;)

Scarletibis Tue 12-Aug-08 21:29:03

I had the food thing too!
Morning sickness both times until week 14 and food tasting weird thoughout pregnancy.

I found myself having to find substitutes for things I'd gone off, like grapefruit juice instead of orange juice and espressos insead of coffee with milk.

BinkyB Thu 14-Aug-08 16:51:14

I haven't been sick yet - am hoping I won't as I've only ever been sick twice in my life. But I just feel queasy the whole time - can only face toast, cheese on toast at best. Was told in another thread that it goes after 14th week - that's only (arg) 2 months away for me!

i remember it well it does pass.
i was off food for a while i felt constantly nauseous till 11 wks then got into food again

VersdeSociete Thu 14-Aug-08 17:01:10

Oh it's so horrible, poor you. One thing to look forward to is breastfeeding - suddenly you are ravenous and enjoy sweets and cakes like a small child! So hard to imagine from where you are. I found things improved at 10 weeks in my first two pregnancies so that would mean not long to go
<doesn't mention third pregnancy>

VersdeSociete Thu 14-Aug-08 17:01:56

I found ice helped...

Cosmogirl Thu 14-Aug-08 17:05:55

Thanks ladies smile. Knowing that things should improve in the second trimester is the only thing keeping me going at the minute! I refuse to listen to people who say they felt nauseous for 9 months <sticks fingers in ears and sings la la la>

BinkyB - Sorry to hear you are feeling rough too. I am the same. Haven't thrown up yet but have all day nausea. I too am rarely ever sick, so this is really tough for me. There are a few of us struggling with MS on a thread on this board called 'Tips for nausea'. Feel free to join us and complain about the sickness. It helps to share your feelings I find.

wasabipeanut Thu 14-Aug-08 17:06:44

Oh I remember this phase very vividly. I love food - eating and cooking but from around 5 weeks to 15 weeks I got a really good insight into what it must be like to have an eating disorder. I'd look at a plate of food and burst into tears because I really wanted to enjoy it but I just couldn't face it.

I had hideous morning sickness which peaked when DH and I went to Mauritius for our last flash foreign holiday. Every dinner felt like a trial because they served such huge portions. I could pick at a tiny bit of it and then it was always "was the food not good?" etc.

All I wanted to eat was marmite toast and bagels. Plain carbs and salty food bizarrely - anything else made me heave.

It will pass I promise!

wasabipeanut Thu 14-Aug-08 17:08:02

Oh yes Versde is right - when I was bfing I ate like a horse. I'd get dh to bring me snacks when ds was having one of his many night feeds wink

nixpix Thu 14-Aug-08 20:02:20

It's really weird isn't it. I was really surprised too as I like Wasabipeanut love my food and totally went off most things. Just eat what you can and if worried about lack of green / nutritious stuff take a pregnancy vit pill as a bit of an insurance policy.
I couldn't eat /smell any meat, spicy food, cooked meals. Couldn't stand plain water too which was most weird. Ate mostly toast, strawberry milkshake, crisps, ribena. Was never sick, just felt like I had a permanent hangover stomach which churned and threatened imminent eruption. Like a car sick nausea.
Couldn't stand getting too near people and smelling their breath, even if not unpleasant as it smelt so strong and 'personal'. Any perfume and fragrance made me heave.
It's a horrid stage and I felt guilty as I'd tried so long to get pregnant and didn't feel as if I was enjoying it as I should have been and felt bad lying on the sofa moaning to DP.
Like everyone else has said itdoes pass. Mine was all gone by week 14.
Still am affected by floral fragrance too.

Cosmogirl Thu 14-Aug-08 20:37:19

Thanks wasabi and nixpix. It is dreadful isn't it? I can't stand the smell of water either - wtf?! Mine is similar to what you had - constant nausea, but so far no vomiting or dry heaving. But then again I am on 7+2 so maybe those joys are still to come....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now