Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

braxton hicks - when do they start?

(21 Posts)
kazbeth Mon 11-Aug-08 19:24:51

I've been getting random crampings for the last week or so (I'm 21 weeks). I can't remember this from last time but then maybe I'm just more aware this time round.

Isn't this too early? (I thought you only got them a few weeks before labour - didn't get them at all last time)

overthemill Mon 11-Aug-08 19:26:19

probab should check. i dont think they should start so early. i had cramps throughout but had an 'irratible womb' so had contractions all the time

MrsMattie Mon 11-Aug-08 21:21:04

From 20 weeks onwards -ish is quite normal, I think, unless you are getting very strong , regular ones, in which case, go to the hospital and get checked out. Otherwise, check with your midwife - maybe give her a ring tomorrow just to put your mind at rest? I am 24 weeks pregnant and have been having them most days for the past week or so. Midwife says normal.

Bex300 Tue 12-Aug-08 18:33:25

I have had them since about 18weeks. Different wombs I guess, midwife not worried. I am now 25 weeks and get them most days, more so after sex and if baby is moving lots. Have you spoken to your midwife? Did she reasure you?

susiecutiebananas Tue 12-Aug-08 18:35:26

I had them from about 18-19 weeks. If they are regular at all then you ought to get a midwife / GP check. If not, it really can be BH this early. Despite this, if you are at all worried, you must go and be seen, they will not mind at all. It is what they are there for.

jollyjolly Wed 13-Aug-08 14:52:20

They can start from very early on, but you don't start feeling them until you're further through, nomrally around where you are. I got them early with both my boys and i went to the hospital be checked quite a few times as they were getting as close as 4 mins apart, not painful but very tight.
It was nothing, if you start getting pain with it, then get checked out.

DisenchantedPlusBump Wed 13-Aug-08 14:52:53

Im 20 weeks and got them the other day after doing some serious tidying up!

bikerunski Wed 13-Aug-08 16:18:23

I haven't had any and I am 35 weeks. Should I be worried?

milkmoustache Wed 13-Aug-08 17:32:13

First time round I had them from 20 wks, this time I haven't had any and I'm 39 wks - but then again this baby is kicking like a kangaroo so there's no chance of forgetting about it! Incidentally all the BH's had no effect on the birth - I didn't have a single contraction of my own and had a lengthy induction plus an emergency C-section, so that was all a bit of a wasted effort!

betterhalf Wed 13-Aug-08 17:35:03

I never had any at all and went into labout the night of my due date.

tamarto Wed 13-Aug-08 17:36:35

I never had any with all three of my pregnancys, don't be worried be grateful bikerunski grin

PetitFilou1 Wed 13-Aug-08 18:12:56

I've had them since 15 weeks but have irritable womb due to having had three pregnancies close together (19 month gap then three year gap)

ninja Wed 13-Aug-08 18:20:46

I've had them before I've felt the baby both times (16ish weeks, maybe before 2nd time) - I also get ALOT of them, certainly more than once an hour - if I'm active more than once a half hour. I'm 34 weeks now and they're taking my breathe away and a bit sore.

I guess what I'm saying is that everyone's different and yes I think from my experience it is normal.

pixsix Wed 13-Aug-08 18:37:17

I'm 23 weeks with my first and have had them since 18 weeks. The first time I felt them I saw my midwife because i was worried but she confirmed that they were BH and that it was fine to feel them at that point. Like Disenchanted, I feel them more when I've been moving around a lot. Hope you feel reassured soon.

pixsix Wed 13-Aug-08 18:40:33

Should have said also Bikerunski that the midwife told me that many women don't feel them at all, especially in their first pregnancies. HTH

Lcy Wed 13-Aug-08 18:50:02

Bikerunski - I am 40 weeks (about to pop) and never felt one!

kazbeth Wed 13-Aug-08 18:50:05

Thanks everyone that's reassuring that others have had this too. Sorry for the delay in replying - I completely forgot I posted this - how dippy am I! blush

I haven't been able to speak to the midwife as she's been on holiday but wasn't too worried as they aren't painful at all and I've been getting so many movements.

It really does show how different pregnancies can be - even for the same person - this one is nothing like my first at all.

bikerunski Thu 14-Aug-08 08:55:01

Thanks ladies, yes this is my first pg, so maybe I don't knwo what I am meant to be feeling? But I am being kicked to deathm there is certainly nothing wrong with this baby's limbs!

Dooleymum Thu 14-Aug-08 10:37:29

Hello, this is my first time on mumsnet so be gentle with me blush!
Due with first baby on 11th october , having a 32 week scan next week to see if low lying placenta has moved ( fingers crossed eh??? )
On the braxton hicks thing, I really dont know if I'm experiencing them??? Having lots of tingles at the top of my bump which are irregular and not painful at all. Thought it may be things stretching but at antenatal class last night midwife got me thinking if they could be braxton hicks???? hmm
dooleymum
x

PetitFilou1 Thu 14-Aug-08 10:43:34

Dooleymum tingles doesn't really cover it - your bump goes rock hard (so much so that someone else could feel the difference between that and how your belly normally feels)
btw have you tried going on the October antenatal thread - would be good place to start on MN

Dooleymum Thu 14-Aug-08 10:56:37

Ahhh thanks petitfilou! I'll have a look at the october thread!
Definately not bh contractions then!!!!!
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now