Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Off work with morning sickness and need advise

(12 Posts)
Sugarplumb83 Mon 11-Aug-08 17:08:31

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and have had morning sickness on and off for the last 3 weeks. I have worked for part of it but also been off 2 times for a week each time (doctors notes) My doctors note is about to run out and I am still feeling sick, I'm going to see the doctor on Wednesday. I'm worried because someone at work has told me that they can make me take my maternity leave early if I'm off sick more than 3 seperate occasions. I worry that if my sickness passes and I go back to work and then it returns again and I have to have more time off I'll be penalised but theres not much I can do about it.

Does anyone know what my rights are and if I can be penalised?

Thanks

Cosmogirl Mon 11-Aug-08 17:14:52

Hi Sugar, I am 7 weeks and have bad nausea, so noticed your thread. I'm not clear on the laws but if you don't get any joy here, might be worth posting in 'employment' too.

Hope it passes soon.

Sugarplumb83 Mon 11-Aug-08 17:20:00

Thanks cosmo I'll try employment too. Good luck with the morning sickness

Diege Mon 11-Aug-08 17:22:36

Sugar, I'm sure that's wrong about them making you take maternity leave due to sickness. They can do this after about 34 weeks I think, but certainly not during first or indeed second trimester smile.

mrsgboring Mon 11-Aug-08 17:22:53

They can only make you start your maternity leave if you are sick for a pregnancy related reason at 36 weeks or later - or you give birth. So you are fine, don't worry.

windyweather Mon 11-Aug-08 17:23:02

Don't think they can force maternity until 6 weeks before you are due. (may have changed since my ds born 2.10 ).
Should not penalise you!
If you are stil ill stay off, hopefully on full pay too.

slinkiemalinki Mon 11-Aug-08 17:24:47

I don't think that's correct what you've been told - I work for a firm of lawyers and was told that the firm can trigger my maternity leave if I am off sick (even for one day) for a pg-related reason after the beginning of the fourth week before the expected week of childbirth (this "EWC" is the Monday before your due date). So they can't trigger it before you are more or less 36 weeks pregnant give or take. A long time off for you!

elkiedee Mon 11-Aug-08 17:27:17

They can make you start maternity leave early if you're off sick once within 4 weeks of your due date, but I've never heard of what this person has told you.

Also, pregnancy related sickness should not be counted in the same way as ordinary sickness, with the doctor's note to confirm that this is what it is.

Sugarplumb83 Mon 11-Aug-08 17:30:33

Thanks to everyone for your advise. I have been stressing about it which I think has made me feel worse. I feel much better now. Fingers crossed I'll stop feeling sick soon.

TheHedgeWitch Mon 11-Aug-08 22:33:11

Message withdrawn

AnnVan Tue 12-Aug-08 06:07:02

Sugarplumb - I was off work for about 3 months with hyperemesis. My employer didn't force early mat leave on me. I think it can only be done in the last month before you're due if you have preg related sick leave.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 12-Aug-08 07:26:32

you can't legally start mat leave before 29 weeks anyway. you don't even have to tell them you are preg until week 24ish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now