Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had successful ecv when very overweight?

(5 Posts)
terrystyg Mon 11-Aug-08 12:22:04

I'm jumping ahead really cos I don't even know if baby is breech yet but midwife is pretty sure. I'm 34 wks, got a scan next Mon to find out. She said some of teh consultants at our hospital are really good at turning babies, but I'm worried they won't be able to do it through all my padding....?

Tangle Tue 12-Aug-08 11:38:45

I would talk to the consultant before agreeing to have it done and see what their take and experience is, but if the MW can feel enough to be sure its breech I would have thought they'd be OK.

DD was breech from 28 weeks and never turned - we declined an ECV and she was born at home as a breech baby. Two books we found very useful were "Breech Birth" by Benna Waites and "Breech Birth: What are my options" by Jane Evans. They both looked at the pros and cons of CS, vaginal breech delivery (medicalised) and vaginal breech birth (hands off) in a very balanced way and helped us choose the course of action that was right for us as a family. The Benna Waites book also has a chapter on complementary methods you can use to encourage the baby to turn by itself.

Good luck

terrystyg Tue 12-Aug-08 20:48:11

Thanks tangle!

mammaof5 Tue 12-Aug-08 22:24:16

I am very overweight and had no problems with them turning the baby. You might try some other things first before you get to that point, I think they wouldn't even consider turning the baby until 36 weeks. Try pelvic tilts and crawling on hands and knees several times a day. Look at the website spinningbabies.com too, they have some great ideas. Good luck!

mammaof5 Tue 12-Aug-08 22:24:19

I am very overweight and had no problems with them turning the baby. You might try some other things first before you get to that point, I think they wouldn't even consider turning the baby until 36 weeks. Try pelvic tilts and crawling on hands and knees several times a day. Look at the website spinningbabies.com too, they have some great ideas. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now