Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Heart racing- reassurance needed!

(7 Posts)
MarkStretch Mon 11-Aug-08 10:44:33

I am 14 weeks pregnant and my heart keeps racing for no reason.

I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks in the past but it often happens when I'm not anxious about anything.

Last night I was just lying on the sofa watching telly and it started.

I'm being monitored for my BP this pregnancy but DH has been taking it at home and it's been fine, really good in fact.

It's worrying me! What is it? Anyone else had it?

PetitFilou1 Mon 11-Aug-08 10:50:25

Sounds like palpitations which are caused by the extra blood volume you have circulating (I think it is something like 40% more than normal). In that case it would be normal. But if you are getting dizziness, shortness of breath or have any history of cardiac problems you should probably be seen by a doctor. Have you mentioned to your mw? I would if it were me.

pinkblossom Mon 11-Aug-08 10:52:30

Hi

I have had these symptoms once last year and it scared the hell out of me. In fact I had to call an ambulance as my heart was racing so much and I was on the verge of passing out. I had pins and needles in my arms and then my heart starting "thudding". It was really awful. I wasn't pregnant at the time. When the paramedics arrived they checked my blood pressure and heart etc. and everything was normal. I went to the docs for tests and again everything was normal. The doc said it could have been a panic attack but like you, I wasn't anxious about anything and had no worries etc.

No advice I'm afraid but just wanted to let you know that I understand what you are going through. It is really scary.

MarkStretch Mon 11-Aug-08 10:57:38

Thanks for the replies. I does really freak me out, I know what it's like to have panic attacks but mine were always triggered by something rather than just out of the blue.

It seems worse in the mornings too. I have been taking some iron supplements as I was really anaemic last time round.

broodymom Mon 11-Aug-08 15:11:36

Hi just wanted to add that i got this last pg and am experiencing it this time. i was put on heart monitor during labour though because it was through the roof but i had epidural and gas and air and was not feeling anything lol!! I have been diagnosed with an irregular hearbeat, but it is not life theatening just a little more pronounced during pg as another poster says its down to the increase in your blood. Hope this helps a little xx

gem1981 Mon 11-Aug-08 16:55:16

hi
I too used to suffer from panic attacks that have stopped now thankfully

my attacks used to happen when i least expected them especially at night when i was relaxing in front of teh TV.

best just to mention it to your midwife but in the meantime try and relax and not stress about them too much as this will only make them worse.

pretty soon yor happy pregnancy hormones will kick in and they give you a lovely natural high /relxed feeling which i personally think is one of the (few) perks of pregnancy.

mammaof5 Tue 12-Aug-08 05:48:46

I suffered from the same thing only my "attacks" included sever heart pounding and racing and nausea, cold sweats and almost hyperventilating. My doc said it was a textbook panic attack but when I looked into it myself it can be a symptom of several things. I spoke to a midwife who is also a nutritional counsellor and she said my adrenal glands were out of whack (especially because pregnancy is REALLY hard on adrenal glands and I had just lost a baby). She recommended that I keep my blood sugar at an even keel (no highs or lows) by eating a low glycemic diet and having protein every two hours before I got hungry. She also said to exercize at least every other day and to cut out caffeine (crucial), alcohol and tobacco. In 2 days I was symptom free. She said it happened in the middle of the night because that is when the body was trying both to recuperate and also my blood sugar would dip so she had me eat a protein snack before bed as well. She said that if I would lay on the floor with my feet in a chair it would help to reset my adrenals and I should be all the better for it. I never did this as I felt so much better immediately. Adrenals need a lot of vitamin c so when I feel like this now I eat high vit c foods and I don't end up thinking I need to go to the er because I'm having a heart attack. I am so glad I didn't go on Prozac as my doc suggested. Be sure to do your own research! Good luck, I hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now