Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

breathless, dizzy, exhausted, stars, nausea, cramps at 31 weeks...

(33 Posts)
star6 Mon 11-Aug-08 08:18:52

That's how I've been feeling last few days. And feel like I can't catch a deep breath until I lay down on my side (then I just end up falling asleep). Randomly throughout the day, I'll look around and see lots of stars in front of my eyes and feel a bit dizzy. I've always and throughout pregnancy (31 weeks) had very low bp, so this could be it... and low iron (but this is getting a bit better). So tired I feel like it's the first trimester again. I've been having cramps like I'm about to get my period (but I've never had horrible cramps, so they aren't all that bad) off and on over past few days especially if I'm standing for too long... and feeling nauseous when trying to go to sleep and at other times throughout the day (but not actually sick).
I talked to dr on the phone, she said, "sounds normal". Really? Does this sound normal to other pg women? Just curious because I feel like I'm losing my minid!

lazaroulovespastries Mon 11-Aug-08 08:21:37

Are you taking anything for your iron?

Don't speak to dr, speak to your midwife as soon as you can. Mention the starts, breathless, dizziness. When was your last appointment with her?

star6 Mon 11-Aug-08 08:24:00

I have never really seen the MW... only talked on teh phone with her when I'm lucky. She only comes to my dr's surgery on Tuesdays and it's hard to get appointments with her, so I usually see the dr/gp.
I was taking iron tabs but they weren't working at all (even 3, 3X/day) so now I take floradix and it has improved the iron level, but it's still below 8 (last time was 7.something before that I had a 4.8 and 6.8, I think). I've been asking for the iron injection, but they don't want to give it to me.

lazaroulovespastries Mon 11-Aug-08 08:28:43

Where is your nearest maternity unit? Do you not have regular appointments there?
How often do they check your urine, bp, iron levels, etc?

hatcam Mon 11-Aug-08 08:36:51

star6 you poor thing, lots of sympathy - I felt exactly like this (were you round my house last Sunday taking notes?!!!!), called the mw who said best get checked out, went to local antenatal unit at hospital who were brilliant. They said rest, rest and rest some more, iron levels low, bp low but the only solution was to take the iron supplements and rest.

They thought cramps (as you describe) were baby's head engaging early. Breathlessness was due to low iron levels, tiredness and baby kindly stretching his big ole' feet right out to push up on my diaphragm.

Hope this helps and is maybe reassuring?

Sounds like you have as much luck seeing your mw as I do......which part of the country are you in?!

Hope you feel better.

star6 Mon 11-Aug-08 08:37:11

They used to take regular blood tests for iron, but not anymore (it's almost like they gave up because nothing works well). I have normal appointments - last one was at 28 weeks with gp (because no room with MW) before that 24 weeks. I have another one at 32 weeks (next tues... first time with MW). Nearest maternity unit is at the hospital but I think that's for emergencies?

star6 Mon 11-Aug-08 08:40:13

Thanks, hatcam and lazarou.
I feel like all I do is rest. Baby's head certainly should not be engaging at 31 weeks, right? shock
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this, though. Nice to hear from other pg women.
It's so hard to believe the superskinny, super cheery, never been pregnant very young, new doctor who tells you, "all sounds normal". angry How does she know?

lazaroulovespastries Mon 11-Aug-08 08:41:01

YOu could ask gp to check your bp, make sure it's ok. A nurse could do that at the surgery for you. Tell them when your next appointment is and just ask if they can see you today just to check you over as you are worried.

hatcam Mon 11-Aug-08 08:42:27

Most hospitals have an antenatal unit where they can assess you, many open by 9am and they'll never ever turn you away if you're worried about something. Give the midwife a ring, if you can't speak to the community midwife (ours is permanent answerphone) then ring the labour ward, a midwife will always listen and give decent advice. You sound like you want some reassurance and they'll definitely be able to do that, if they think you need it they'll get you into the antenatal unit to monitor you for half an hour or so/re-check iron levels/test for infections etc. I felt like I must be some fraudster going in to be monitored (thinking well it's not an emergency) until I realised I couldn't stand up properly as I was so dizzy!!!!

hatcam Mon 11-Aug-08 08:44:02

apparently head engaging is not unusual (I was horrified and wanted to cross my legs immediately smile) but doctor was very reassuring and says it happens and it doesn't necessarily mean baby will come early....I'll prob be 10 days late again like last time!!

Aubergenie Mon 11-Aug-08 08:46:55

I had a midwife appointment last week and my BP was slightly raised. They were concerned about the possibility of pre-eclampsia so sent me for some further tests. One of the things that I kept being asked was whether I was dizzy, seeing stars, or had any pain under my ribs, as pre-eclampsia can be very serious. It may well not be the same thing in your case, but I would say get it checked as ASAP just to be on the safe side.

star6 Mon 11-Aug-08 08:48:06

Thanks That is really helpful. As soon as 9.00 arrives I will ring the hospital antenatal unit.
Its really the stars that are throwing me off so much... weird sensation.

star6 Mon 11-Aug-08 08:49:12

ok. oh my god. ok. i'll call them very soon. I've always had such extremely low bp... isn't pre eclampsia really high bp? oh no....

lazaroulovespastries Mon 11-Aug-08 08:50:57

Don't panic star. I also agree you should ring maternity unit direct.
Are your swollen up at all?

EffiePerine Mon 11-Aug-08 08:51:38

yes, def ring them. It might just be your low bp, but no harm in going in to be monitored (your GP sounds a bit crap tbh)

Aubergenie Mon 11-Aug-08 08:54:16

Sorry - I really don't want to frighten you. Yes, pre-eclampsia is high BP (along with protein in the urine, swelling etc). It may well not be that, but best to get yourself checked out.

star6 Mon 11-Aug-08 08:54:33

ok. no swelling, just period - like cramps, not bad though.
EffiePerine - yes, gp is crap. Everytime I ask her a question, she says, "let me talk with the other drs and see what they say and get back to you". It's obvious that she's new and young, but a bit of confidence in herself would help!

star6 Mon 11-Aug-08 08:55:53

no worries, aubergenie - I'm easily sent into a panic. going to ring them asap.

Aubergenie Mon 11-Aug-08 08:55:55

Sorry - I don't want to frighten you. Yes pre-eclampsia is really high BP (and swelling and protein in the urine etc), so it probably isn't that in your case, but you shouldn't be seeing stars and they should really check you out. Good luck!

lazaroulovespastries Mon 11-Aug-08 08:56:33

Ok, no swelling is a good sign, but you should still phone maternity unit and ask to be seen.

lazaroulovespastries Mon 11-Aug-08 08:57:59

It does sound like your iron levels are very low and they are not being properly controlled. Anyway, they will advise you.

star6 Mon 11-Aug-08 09:29:20

I rang and they said a nurse at my gp surgery could check my bp if I am worried (they are very busy today) but she said if I'm REALLY worried, I can ring back and try to see a midwife at the hospital.
I rang the gp surgery and they can see me to check my bp at 5.30pm today.

Aubergenie Mon 11-Aug-08 09:33:46

Good - I'm glad you're getting it checked.

Sorry about double posting before. I thought it had deleted itself but it obvioulsy hadn't. blush

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 11-Aug-08 09:37:24

Poor you star. Hope they can sort you out/reassure you.

Just wanted to offer further reassurance on the engaging thing. First babies engage much earlier than subsequent ones. Dd was engaged for at least 6 weeks before being born, so certainly no need to panic if it is that.

star6 Mon 11-Aug-08 09:41:26

thanks csws.
I googled "baby engaging and pregnancy" to find out more about this. I thought engaged was like "dilated" - like, he's on his way! blush
but engaged is a good thing actually! Hooray!
He was feet down but a few days ago i think definitely felt him turn,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now