Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it harder to stay at work longer when pg with number 2?

(22 Posts)
mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Sun 10-Aug-08 21:06:11

Am 16.5 weeks pg with number 2 and think I would like to leave work as early as possible (29 wks) because I have a 3 year old and with my job I start at 7am and don't want to walk to work in the dark whilst heavily pg.
With ds I worked upto 34 weeks. Guess I am seeking permission? lol!
How did others feel about leaving work with 2nd baby? (or 3rd!)

RhinestoneCowgirl Sun 10-Aug-08 21:09:57

I'm planning to stop earlier this time too - pg with DC2 and have a 2-yr old. I'm definitely more knackered this time and I also want to have some time with DS on his own before the baby arrives.

Last time I worked up until 37 weeks. I know what you mean about seeking 'permission' wink, but tbh you know what's best for you and your family. Also now mat leave is paid for longer, has made the choice easier.

SazzlesA Sun 10-Aug-08 21:13:50

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Sun 10-Aug-08 21:14:28

Yes and I had to stay there till 37 weeks for money.

Gave birth at 38+2.

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Sun 10-Aug-08 21:14:42

Ah thanks! Feel better now lol! Know what you mean about wanting to spend time with ds before baby comes too.
You did well to do 37 weeks!

morningpaper Sun 10-Aug-08 21:15:48

I stayed right until the end because it was much easier than being at home with a toddler! And I got loads of attention cups of tea and people were lovely to me.

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Sun 10-Aug-08 21:17:08

I guess it depends on what hours you do and childcare. I am lucky enough to work around dh's hours so dont pay childcare.
My maternity pay is 6 weeks full pay then I get 90% of my pay (which tbh isn't a lot differnet as I am parttime) When I was full time I worked longer for the money.

Heated Sun 10-Aug-08 21:19:52

What feels right for you is the right choice. Your baby, your body.

I stayed a couple of weeks longer at work with no 2 until 38-9 weeks since I wanted as much time as possible with the 2nd as I had only 6 months maternity leave and not the 9 I had with my first. And I got bored waiting for dc1 to make an appearance.

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Sun 10-Aug-08 21:23:23

Keep thinking it may be easier to hang on longer as I am part time now, but looking back to when I was pg with ds I found my job very hard. I do a lot of manual work so got very tired easily. I am a window dresser so it is hard to squeeze into the window at 8.5 months pg too!

mummy2t Sun 10-Aug-08 21:29:17

i was on sick with ds1 but with ds2 i planned on stopping at 34 weeks. i got to 37 weeks, finished work on friday and had bubba on sunday. you finish when you feel ready to. i felt on top of the world with second pregnancy i thought i'd be bored if i finished earlier. it all depends on how you feel at the time and all the other factors, other children etc. good luck xxx

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Sun 10-Aug-08 21:33:48

I am having an elective c section so that was another reason for me to leave work a little earlier this time.
Wow mummy2t, that was a close call - leaving friday and having baby on Sunday!smile

ceebee74 Sun 10-Aug-08 21:33:57

I am 25 weeks pg and also have a 2yo and am starting to find it hard work - I work 4 days a week and by Friday, I am shattered. However, I have planned to stop working completely at 36 weeks but weeks 33-36, I am using holiday to work 2 days only each week so I am having a 'wind-down' period aswell which I hope will mean I can manage to 36 weeks.

Tbh, I don't want to finish too early as the plan is for DS still to go to nursery as normal so I will just be bored if I finish too early - I guess there is only so much sleep a person can have wink

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Sun 10-Aug-08 21:36:10

ceebee- good idea to use Nursery! Ds will be at playschool every morning from September so I am planning my shopping trips for last minute bargains (and collecting sticks for my nest!)

ceebee74 Sun 10-Aug-08 21:39:58

Mumfor1sttime - shopping is another reason why DS is still going to nursery - I am due end of November so I will need to do all my christmas shopping before baby comes along!!

I still plan for DS to go to nursery for 3 days for all my mat leave so I can spend some one-on-one time with DC2 and DS stays in his routine and plays with his friend - I know he would get so so bored stuck at home with mummy and baby bro!!

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Sun 10-Aug-08 21:45:40

I am due in January, so also wanted to get some xmas shopping! Have started buying chrimbo prezzies already (how sad am I!)Even sent dh up in the loft at the weekend to see if we had any christmas paper!
I have a weeks holiday left so guess I could use some of that to also have a wind down period - good idea!

I guess it will be important for them to have their routine and structure that they are used to.
Congrats btw!

mummy2t Sun 10-Aug-08 21:53:03

it was close, he was early though, i think he realised mummy was ready and everything was done lol

juneybean Sun 10-Aug-08 21:55:19

My friend worked upto 10 days before second was born, I guess it depends how you are feeling?

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Mon 11-Aug-08 08:24:13

I guess it does depend how you feel.

At least you were organised then mummy2t!

OMaLittle Mon 11-Aug-08 08:33:43

37 with 1, 34 with 2 (2 yr gap)

The ONLY helpful thing I remember from the first time round is that I definitely didn't want to work until 37 weeks!

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Mon 11-Aug-08 13:39:59

This is my mind set too OMalittle! I want to leave earlier this time.

MissusH Mon 11-Aug-08 13:52:13

I worked to 37wks with dd. I am finishing at 35wks this time although the first 2 wks are annual leave. In fact I finish next week - whoo hoo!!!

I want as long as poss off work afterwards with baby, but I also want to spend the last 2wks of the summer hols with dd as it will be her last as an only child!

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Mon 11-Aug-08 14:00:07

Good thinking MissusH to spend rest of summer hols with your dd. I only have 12 hours holiday left now, I work 16 hours a week so not quite a week. I also have 5 hours lieu time to use up. So may try and use that to delay my leave.
Feels weird doesn't it when you think your lo won't be an only child any more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now