Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else suffering/suffered with SPD?

(18 Posts)
ellideb Sun 10-Aug-08 11:33:38

I'm 35 weeks today and I am feeling thoroughly miserable and fed up due to the amount of pain I am in, mostly at night.

I feel like I am awake every 20 mins to either get up for a wee (understandable and expected) or because I'm in such pain with my pelvis (not expected or tolerable).

I'm so tired and restricted and I'm trying to tell myself its practice for when babe's here but I just want to be able to relax and do usual stuff like going for a walk, vacuum, push a shopping trolley, carry things occasionally, but if I do I know I will be suffering that night. Even if I do take it easy, the night's are still hard.

How oh how am I supposed to go another 5-7 weeks??? Trying to roll over in bed at night is such a painful ordeal I'm considering sleeping upright on the sofa.

Sorry its such a moan-fest but I'd like to hear from others who are or have been in the same boat and is there anything you can do/did to ease the pain.

I am secretly hoping babe will arrive at 37 weeks or they will offer to induce me even though that goes against everything I want for my 1st birth. Help!

Kerri1983 Sun 10-Aug-08 11:43:15

Hi, if I walk quite a bit during the day I do get aches and pains that night.

I am experiencing really bad pain during the night when turning over, I mentioned it to the MW and she just advised to sleep with a cushion between my legs. For me this just keeps me awake longer as I get hot and uncomfortable.

Look on the bright side you are 10 weeks ahead of me sad

MrsMattie Sun 10-Aug-08 11:51:15

I sympathise hugely.

I had sudden and severe SPD from 30 weeks onwards in my last pregnancy. By 36 weeks I couldn't walk without crutches and was in terrible pain almost all of the time.

This time around I've had it since about 16 weeks (now 24 weeks). It's not severe so far - I'm not holding out much hope for later on down the line though! - but it means I also suffer for it if I exert myself even a bit with shopping, cleaning, looking after my toddler etc, and night times are very uncomfortable.

Have you seen a physio about it? At this stage in your pregnancy there isn't a huge amount they can do to stop it, but they can do a few things to at least try to relieve the pain- painkillers, a support belt, crutches, advice on positions / exercises that can ease it a little bit. If it's really bad they can also do some manipulations on your pelvis to try to realign it (only works temporarily, though, as the pregnancy hormones mean that everything is loose and soft and slips back into awkward positions again pretty soon). Worth a shot? You might be able to get a quick-ish referral to an NHS physio through your midiwfe - in some areas you can even self refer I think? If not, might be worth finding a private physio in your area and forking out for a couple of sessions?

Best of luck. It's horrible, I know, but if it's any consolation, it usually eases massively very quickly after the birth.

ellideb Sun 10-Aug-08 11:52:46

Sorry to hear you're suffering too, I've tried the pillow thing to and it really doesn't help does it? I've had this from around 20 weeks and its just getting worse which is why I'm finding it hard to look on the bright side! These last few weeks are the biggest hurdle!

Kerri1983 Sun 10-Aug-08 11:55:26

MM did the SPD cause you problems for the birth??

KnockOffNorbert Sun 10-Aug-08 11:59:42

I have SPD (diagnosed too late for physio though) - all that 'worked' for me is just give up. I tried to hobble around, trying to do normal things but was swinging from extreme pain to having to rest in pain etc., so now I just don't do anything that may make it worse which unfortunatly includes waking DH up to change DSs nappy (DH works nights), not picking up anything (unless I really have to), no hooovering, mopping etc. I am 40 + 2 so only a max. of about 8 days left to leave everything up to DH, but I am in much less pain. Also have been house bound for about a week now and pretty bed bound.

HoveRocks Sun 10-Aug-08 12:11:42

Hi all, I'm new here-was desperate to find someone in the same situation this morning. Taken two hours!
I'm 31 weeks and lost it big time this morning with my partner cos there was no clean spoon for my cereal. He's thankfully very understanding. I don't know how.
I can't take this anymore. It really is the lack of sleep and pain we have to put up with that makes everything worse.
I mentioned the pain I get to my yoga teacher and she just said it must be the weight and to wear a support belt.
It has helped slightly, but things are SO painful at night. I didn't think I may have SPD-have MW Thursday so I'll mention it to her.
I hate that I can't even stroll into town anymore. The stairs at our current flat are such hard work sometimes I don't wanna go out cos of the thought of coming back up the stairs later. We're moving to a house in about 4 weeks but I'm really starting to go insane!

MrsMattie Sun 10-Aug-08 12:13:08

With my last pregnancy I had to just admit defeat eventually, too@KnockOff. This time I've caught it early and have been doing certain exercises which so far have at least stopped it getting worse...but we'll see!

Kerri - I ended up having a c-section but that was nothing to do with the SPD (I went very overdue and an induction failed).

Actually, another good reason to see a physio is to get some proper advice on birth positioning, as women with SPD aren't advised to labour in certain positions. Also good idea to put it in your birth plan / maternity notes, so that if you did end up needing an anaesthetic (epidural for instance) the midwives won't let your legs flop open too wide, which can cause damage to an already struggling pelvis.

notcitrus Sun 10-Aug-08 20:14:58

ellideb - I'm 35 weeks too and been suffering too. Got signed off work at 25 weeks as I was so exhausted, and given lots of painkillers and a physio appt, and the physio told me flat out I wasn't allowed to commute any more. So ended up working from home for 6 weeks (3 days work, 2 annual leave).

In some ways it's been easier that it's really bad, because there's no point me thinking 'I should do X', because I simply can't. So all food in the house has been from Mr Tesco, ditto everything else I've bought is off the internet, got a cleaner in for a few hours, etc. Things that get dropped on the floor stay there (or picked up with my toes...)

2x500/30mg paracetamol/codeine gets me to sleep for some hours - I'm trying not to take it much in the day as I get a bit sick and it's not great for the baby if he's born soon after - but he's still so active he's clearly not being doped out by it. I wedge myself in place so I don't need to turn over for 6 hours or so - and remember all the advice on weeing, leaning forward and then leaning back, so bladder empties better.

The physio exercises help for turning over, and a support belt does help when I really need to get to the corner shops/post box. We hired a wheelchair for a couple weeks so I could get to a gig and the theatre, and we'll get one again soon for a couple other events. You need someone to push, though - self-pushing is OK in shopping centres but not on local pavements! I also feel a bit like my 99-year-old godmother who used to phone everyone in her address book and ensure she had a visitor each day. I make sure I get out of the house weekly at least just to stay sane! grin And post stupid amounts here. blush

The physio has put an enormous bright pink sticker on my notes saying I have SPD and must not be placed on my back in labour, checks must be done on my side, and my knees must not get more than Xcm apart (X is currently 40cm but will be re-measured in labour). MrNC has a piece of string he's supposed to tie and put round my knees to ensure this! (hi-tech gadgetry or what?!)

Very glad I don't have a toddler to look after. Did have familybaby to look after this weekend but I learnt from last time not to get onto the floor with him. Swivel chair very handy. Squirmy will get changed on top of a large chest of drawers so I don't have to bend until my hips recover - allegedly within 2 weeks of birth.

Qally Sun 10-Aug-08 21:53:59

My physio said weight had little to do with it, and it's hormonal - it started with me at 12 weeks when I was 9 stone, and is HUGELY improved at 6 months when I weigh over 12. Basically, walk very, very slowly - as in, so slowly you feel ridiculous - and sit at all possible times. Keep legs together whenever possible and never stand on one leg if you can avoid it. Take steps one at a time and lifts are even better! And Pilates is great at strengthening pelvic girdle muscles, but best if run specifically for pregnant women. If your yoga teacher doesn't know what SPD is, I'd be wary.

I'm double jointed, quite seriously so, and apparently that always indicates someone is more likely to have SPD, as the joints are so mobile anyway. But I was told that SPD sufferers may actually have slightly easier births, as the separating joints create more room for the baby - as long as the midwife respects the need to keep legs together and not force already painful ligaments/joints.

It's horrible. I wake up in pain in my joints every night and have to roll over - which also hurts. I'm only 27 weeks and the pain can be vile - the thought of another 13 is horrendous. But it IS a lot, lot better than it was, because I'm so much better at doing sweet FA except slow, slow walking, and exercises to strengthen the area.

ellideb Sun 10-Aug-08 22:41:04

mrsmattie No I havn't been to physio about it, tbh I don't think I've made enough fuss about so I'm probably in a bit of denial and I willl try to have a proper talk about it with the midwife next time I see her and see if I can be reffered (sp?) for some physio. I sympathise with you too because I can only imagine how much harder it must be with a toddler in tow.

notcitrus Thanks for all those great tips, I'd hate to be in a wheelchair but can totally understand the need for one sometimes! I did not know a lot of things you have mentioned, particularly regarding the painkillers. LOL at the piece of string! When are you due btw? Are you on the antenatal thread?

Qally Thankyou for the tips also, did not know about the double-jointedness, I never considered myself to be but have always been quite fit and flexible (pre-pregnancy!) I did also think it might be due to weight gain as I've put on nearly 4 stone but if your physio said its little to do with that then that makes me feel a lot better!

Thankyou to everyone else who has replyed and I'm hoping we all get an easier night tonight! Bed is not the haven it used to be!

piratecat Sun 10-Aug-08 22:46:34

I had it, and i truly sympathise. It makes me upset when i read your stories, as they reflect my own.
I prob should not be posting but, it was an awful time, but tbh I am glad there is so much more info about it. I felt so alone with it.

Rst is the key. I didn;t take any pain killers, wasn't ever mentioned to me, but they could have helped.

I won't be having any more children becuase of it.

notcitrus Sun 10-Aug-08 23:09:17

ellideb - I'm due in 5 weeks - mid-Sept, and yes, I'm rambling on the Sept antenatal thread quite a bit. Hoping to make the Sept London meetup on Wednesday seeing as they're having it somewhere I should be able to get to!

I'm the total opposite of double-jointed - never been able to sit cross-legged, for example. When I started having problems I went back to my osteopath, but he concluded that I only have hormone-related problems - it's only the middle and corners of the pubic triangle that hurt, the rest of my pelvic girdle is fine. Physio confirmed that - so the bad news was no manipulation could help, exercises wouldn't help much, but on the plus side it's almost guaranteed to get better as soon as I give birth and stop producing relaxin.

Look up the Pelvic Partnership - they have advice sheets. Basically rest lots and keep your knees together.

ellideb Sun 10-Aug-08 23:10:38

piratecat It sounds like you have been through the mill with it. I agree with you that rest is the key but easier said then done isn't it? What you said about not having any more children is what worries me. I'd love more but from what I understand, you will definately get it 2nd time around, probably worse and especially if you have a toddler to run around after. It's a bugger and there doesn't seem to be any real cure for it either does there? Did you have the support of MN when you had it?

piratecat Mon 11-Aug-08 10:26:43

no i had no suport, this was back in 2001/2002.

I had to have a termination, becuase of it in 2003. It was the worst thing in my life. I spent 4 weeks in turmoil, but knew i couldn't carry another child and look after my baby/toddler.

i think that terriblel decision was one thing that led to my husband leaving. I htikn of that baby so much.

ellideb Mon 11-Aug-08 11:10:41

Poor poor you piratecat what an awful position to be in, I really don't know what to say as I have never been there myself, I just hope that you are not being hard on yourself and 'regretting' your decision as it was the right choice for you because you had to think of your other baby. It's such a shame that you didn't have the support you so clearly needed.

I hope things are better for you now. A second pregnancy is something I would also have to think very hard about, as we both know, SPD can make life quite impossible and I'd hate to feel like I had no choice. You've had a lot to deal with and I wish you and your little one all the best support in moving forwards.

kitkat9 Mon 11-Aug-08 12:15:08

piratecat, that's terrible. I hope you can find some peace now. I can fully understand the pain you were in (being an SPD sufferer myself), and often wnder how I'll get through the next 20 weeks with the pain getting worse every day. Support nowadays is not perfect, but it is better. The medical professionsem to be waking up to the fact that SPD isn't just an annoying niggle of pregnancy, but a real problem for some women.

I had it terribly with my last pregnancy, and swore I'd never do this again..but here I am... I was in Germnay last time and my midwife referred me to an accupuncturist, which was AMAZING. I literally felt like a new, pain -free person after each session. I can't recommend it enough. I'm now in America, where, incredibly, no-one really seems to be familiar with SPD. I asked the midwife the other day about a referral again, and am just waiting to hear about an appointment. I'm hopeful it will help again.
She also prescribed me paracetomol with codeine, which helps quite well, esp at night as it can make you sleepy.

Please, please, try accupuncture. I was very sceptical and a bit nervous of it, but it was fine, really quite relaxing. It's the only thing that helped!

piratecat Tue 12-Aug-08 11:20:38

thankyou.

I look back on it as something i have had to block out. It was a terribel time. There was no other choice. I had bad tearing and damage after the birth of dd and we didn't even have a sex life. Yet the one time we tried, well that was that.
Didn't even think of contraception, which sounds so dubious, but it's true. Ihad taken yrs to fall with dd.

I don't think i will ever be able to comprehend what i did. SPD is painful, and has continued for me even till now, and my dd is 6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now