Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tips for nausea

(130 Posts)
shish Sat 09-Aug-08 21:56:22

ANy tips to help settle nausea in early pregnancy?? Had it with ds but don't remember it being this bad. Also v v tired. Again feels a lot worse this time..

onepieceoflollipop Sat 09-Aug-08 21:58:29

Shish sending you massive sympathy.

I have had hyperemesis (first time round) and bad ms with dd2.

Are you able to keep food and drink down or are you being sick as well as the nausea?

If you can tolerate food then try not to ever get hungry, eat small amounts every hour or 2 if possible. (I ate constantly even at work with 2nd pg).

Sleep/rest as much as you can. Hope it eases soon.

WorzselMummage Sat 09-Aug-08 21:58:39

sea-sickness bands are great :P

SilkCutMama Sat 09-Aug-08 21:59:11

lemonade sipped
poor you - hope you find something that works

onepieceoflollipop Sat 09-Aug-08 22:00:17

Sugary drinks helped me as well. I just ate and drank whatever I felt I could tolerate. (not ideal long term but you just need to cope with these few weeks as best you can imo)

SilkCutMama Sat 09-Aug-08 22:01:12

quick hijack - hello opol - how are you today?

sorry shish

onepieceoflollipop Sat 09-Aug-08 22:03:07

Hi SCM. Been at work today, feeling happy tonight. I remember your wise words and support on a recent thread.

Sorry op <<hijack over>>

SilkCutMama Sat 09-Aug-08 22:10:16

smile

shish - just thought, dry rich teas biscuits can be quite good too

onepieceoflollipop Sat 09-Aug-08 22:11:47

I found things like scones, tea cakes, fruit bread etc to be helpful with ms. (i.e carbohydrate type foods but with a bit of sweetness in them)

shish Sun 10-Aug-08 09:05:59

Thanks for all the tips. Thankfully I'm not vomting with it, just bad nausea. I found sipping lemonade worked last time so I have tried it again this time. I am finding that I'm having to eat a little every couple of hours cos I'm not able to eat too much in one go. Bland foods are making the nausea worse so I'm wanting sweet or spicy food. Just want it to end!! Can't remember how long it lasted last time.

First pregnancy is so different. You can just rest whenever you want. But, second time round rest times are restricted to when ds is sleeping..

I will definatley try what you've all suggested. In fact I know that when I've eaten some of the foods you've suggested it has helped. Thanks again.

nobodysfool Sun 10-Aug-08 09:26:20

Not sure if it will work for you but i ate something every 2 hours and i found salt and vinagar crisps a magic food.It just stopped the nausea within mins (worked for 3 of my friends as well).
Hope it all eases off soon for you.
x

Cosmogirl Sun 10-Aug-08 11:10:20

Shish, just wanted to say I feel your pain! My all day nausea started on Tuesday [6 weeks] and am feeling really low with it. I haven't vomited either yet but sometimes think it would be better if I did, then at least I would feel better for a bit. I have tried seabands, eating little and often, ginger etc.... It sucks sad This is my first preg.

shish Sun 10-Aug-08 11:57:13

Hey cosmogirl I'm about the same as you. I'm gonna be 7 weeks tomorrow. I know exactly what you mean! I know it gets better but it just seems like such a long way off! I know that once it did get better last time, then I was so full of energy and I started to enjoy my prgnancy and I can't wait to hit that satge!

We should keep each other posted on our progress seeing as we're at the same gestation as each other?

Nobodysfool - the salt and vinegar crisps sound like they're definatley worth trying. Might get some now! Thanks

i sucked polo mints (that started off abit dodgy)and ate starburst
good luck

Cosmogirl Sun 10-Aug-08 16:40:41

Shish, definitely - would be nice to have someone to hand-hold when feeling this crap! I feel really terrible for moaning about it too, because I know that feeling like this is a good sign and means all is well with the baby...I can't wait for the bit where your energy comes back and you can start enjoying the pregnancy - sounds fab!

Tink - good tips. I have just sent DH out for tic tacs, polos, and sucky sweets. Might try starbursts too next week.

ranirani Sun 10-Aug-08 17:27:18

I have not had the nausea as much, just mild now and again. I think around 6th week it started getting worse and for a week the only way I could stop it was by eating loads!! grin which is not advisable because thats how you put lots of weight on.... so i posted a thread on MN and some nice ladies told me that ginger tea or ginger biscuits help. So I got normal ginger tea from tesco and had it any time I felt slightest nausea and it stopped alltogether pretty soon. I am sure everyone is different but I also think that if you catch it early and deal with it, it may lessen...hmm anyway thats my theory, and I am sure everyone is different. But that how it worked for me, so could work for you too wink I am 13 weeks now btw. Good luck!

Dotty38 Sun 10-Aug-08 22:49:29

Hi there.

Shish and Cosmogirl I'm with you on the neausea stakes. I've been really struggling since week 4 I'm now week 7. It's getting me down a bit as not only feeling sick morning noon and night but feel absolutely shattered too.

My Mum suggested Ginger beer or crystalised ginger both of which have really been helping me, also carbonated water too seems to work well with me.

I'm going to try the travel sickness bands next week hadn't thought of that one!

OneLieIn Sun 10-Aug-08 22:50:56

Had awful sickness with DS, try the sickness bands they do help a lot. Ginger didn't, neither did peppermint, only the bands.

Cosmogirl Mon 11-Aug-08 07:47:26

Hi Dotty, sorry to hear you are feeling nauseous too - it really is horrible, isn't it? Maybe us three should set up a nausea/morning sickness support thread? Or, use these thread to help each other when we are feeling crap. What do you think?

I am seven weeks tomorrow I think, so we are all very close together.

shish Tue 12-Aug-08 11:42:28

Sounds like a plan cosmogirl. What do you think dotty?? I was 7 weeks yesterday so very close together. It's nice to have someone in the same boat as you. Somehow things don't seem as bad.

I tried the ginger things last time but they just made it worse. I was snacking every couple of hours at work yesterday and that seemed to help. I know it means I'm putting on weight - I can see it - but I have to get through the nausea and tiredness!

Where do you get the travel sickness bands from??

Cosmogirl Tue 12-Aug-08 12:15:41

Hi Shish,

Feeling dreadful today. Seems to be getting worse. I told my boss this morning and he was very understanding about it. Said I could work from home when I needed too. Still feeling guilty about it though.... Sea bands were £8 from Boots - but they don't seem to be helping me. Attempted some plain noodles for lunch though I don't feel like eating at all sad

Can't believe we could have 5 plus weeks more of this....

shish Tue 12-Aug-08 20:47:04

Hi Cosmogirl,

Hopefully it won't last as long as that. I don't think it did with ds. I thought I was doing ok today, but than started feeling really crap after about 4 o'clock and it hasn't got any better. I think I let myself get too hungry.

I found plain, bland food is making it worse. The sweet food, as suggested seemed to help a bit and also spicy food.

You're lucky you can work from home and it's really good that you have an understanding boss. The nature of my work means that I have to be there and dealing with patients!! I haven't told my boss yet. Never had to do it last time either cos I was locuming then.

I hope tomoorow is a better day

Dotty38 Tue 12-Aug-08 21:24:50

Hiya, wasn't able to log in yesterday, ended up giving up and went to bed at 4 ish feeling miserable. It's ace to log in now though of read your posts (not ace that you're feeling rubbish but ace to read them and feel supported ). Definately agree with you guys re. knowing you can share this with someone else. So sorry today's been bad Shish, it's no fun.

With the sea bands my pharmasist said you really need to adjust the position carefully and monitor them as you've got to hit the right pressure point on your wrist and if there a bit out they won't work, going to try them tomorrow, I will try anything I reakon!

One thing I've done differently today is the Rich Tea biscuits, I had two before I even took my head of the pillow this morning, I must say it wasn't what I fancied but it did seem to take the sick feeling away for about an hour. I've then been munching on them every half an hour which seems to have been really helping. I definately reakon don't let yourself get hungry as it really hits you then.

I hope tomorrow improves for you Shish. I had a bad day yesterday and then a slightly better one today. Fingers crossed for you.

Cosmogirl Tue 12-Aug-08 22:04:13

Hi Dotty/Shish,

Improved a little this evening and was brave and had some chinese food which seemed to go down ok...hopefully it stay down grin. I have still managed not to throw up yet despite the constant, unrelenting nausea....It is so disgusting! Did a search on HCG levels and looks like they should rise until week 11, then start to drop again, so hopefully things will improve....When I think about this lasting much longer, I get really down sad Right, am off to fiddle with my seabands to try and get the ball in the right place. Can't believe I am still awake at 10 pm - usually zonked out by 8.30! Night. Hope you both feel as good as can be tomorrow.

shish Wed 13-Aug-08 18:41:30

Hi Cosmogirl/Dotty,

How was your day? I started off ok then felt quite bad after 10.30/11am. I think I let myself get too hungry again! I have been unbelievably tired today. Have been at home today with ds. Poor thing has been entertaining himself in the house all day. Haven't taken him anywhere. I know I shouldn't let myself get too hungry so I don't know why I did it angry - I guess we always learn the hard way.

I think I will be getting an early ight tonight. Hope you guys had a better day. I think I'll have to give the seabands a try. Had never heard of them before

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now