Talk

Advanced search

had 20 wk scan - they want to do more scans - does anyone know why?

(10 Posts)
lowrib Sat 09-Aug-08 19:35:12

Just had 20 week scan.
They said everything looks fine, but they want to do 2 more scans.

They were very reassuring that this is just a precaution, but I'm not sure what they are looking for? Can anyone help?

They want to do a doppler scan, because we had high biochemestry risk. (We had a 1 in 18 chance of downs, but thankfully CVS test came out negative - no downs).
I know the downs blood test can also indicate small-for-date babies, but our baby is really big compared to average, so they can't be looking for this surely? Does anyone know what else they could be looking for?

They also want to do another scan in 4 weeks to check growth. The baby is above average for most of the fetal measurements from the scan - but off the scale for abdominal circumference and femur length. (Basically they're saying it's chubby with long legs!!)

I know large babies might have diabetes, but surely diabetes doesn't result in long legs?! I'm less worried about this as my partner is really tall, but I would like to know what they're looking for.

I did ring the unit to ask, and they said come in to see a midwife if I have questions, but I'm out of town for a week so I can't.

Does anyone have any idea why they want to rescan?

Thanks

misdee Sat 09-Aug-08 19:38:55

they may be just wanting to monitor babys growth overall.

'large' babies can have problem with regard natural delivery (shoulder dystocia being one i think).

have they advised you to have a GTT to check for diabetes? larger babies are oftenm born to [people with diabetes. its not a case of the baby have diabetes but the mum having gestional diabetes.

MadameCheese Sat 09-Aug-08 19:41:33

are they querying dates perhaps?

lowrib Sat 09-Aug-08 20:22:25

Thanks for your replies

I see I had the wrong end of the stick about diabetes. They haven't suggested I test for gestional diabetes - I'll ask them about it when I get back.

I did't think dates were an issue as I got pregnant when I returned from 3 weeks away -if the dates were wrong they'd be a whole 3 weeks out, and this would be very obvious - wouldn't it?

lowrib Sun 10-Aug-08 07:48:43

Does anyone know what they are looking for with the Doppler scan?

gemdangracie Sun 10-Aug-08 08:02:48

lowrib- i had a doppler in my pregnancy and they do it to measure the blood flow between you and baby on the major arteries in the placenta and umbilical cord, to make sure baby is getting enough nutrients and growing well. One minute i was told i would have a very small baby so had a doppler (things were fine) then i was told i would have a 10lb baby, when she was finally born she weightd 6lb6oz! hmm if ur worried ask them questions when ur having ur doppler. hth

Squarebear1973 Wed 13-Aug-08 14:18:49

If you've had complications in previous pg's or multi mc's, its common to have extra scans after the 20 wk to check growth. Try to see it as a + and watch your baby grow at a stage when most people don't get to see baby again until it arrives. Good luck

MrsMattie Wed 13-Aug-08 14:43:20

I'll be having extra scans from 28 weeks because I've had a previous big baby and they are worried about gestational diabetes. But that's just me. they should be very clear with you about why you're having these extra scans, and I'm surprised they haven't been. Can you ring your midwife and ask her to clarify?

lollipopmother Wed 13-Aug-08 18:51:31

I was asked to come back in for a second scan at 24w because the baby's tummy measurement was on the lower side of 'ok', but they explained all this at the time, it's very bad that they haven't told you why they want you back in.

AHB238 Thu 14-Aug-08 09:59:37

It might be because your baby is on the large side and they are worried that there won't be enough room for the baby to move if he/she gets too big.

I think you should contact your MW to double check and ease your worries.

I will be having extra scans as my first and last baby was stillborn 5 months ago at full term due to slight growth restriction because the placenta was too small and also because the cord had twisted up like a spring and restricted oxygen getting to her.

Whatever it is it is good that they have done this, because if i'd have had extra scans last time my little girl would be here now.

I don't want to worry you, just reassure you that you will be in the right place and well looked after. Hope everything goes ok. x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now