Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

WWYD? GBS+ and VBAC/elective? Some TMI...

(27 Posts)
LeonieD Sat 09-Aug-08 09:44:59

Message withdrawn

lulumama Sat 09-Aug-08 09:48:13

crikey ! what a decision

there was an interesting thread here recently about 'curing' GBS colonisation with garlic up your foofoo!

sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place

i wonder if AIMS or the homebirth sites will have any info about weighing up pros and cons..

surely the fact that it is know you have GBS , you can be given ABS and your baby can be closely monitored after birth

can you ask supervisor of midwives about ABs being administered at home?

LeonieD Sat 09-Aug-08 09:50:24

Message withdrawn

lulumama Sat 09-Aug-08 09:56:16

can you have another test re the GBS? the ECM test via the gbss.org site?

LeonieD Sat 09-Aug-08 10:00:40

Message withdrawn

LeonieD Sat 09-Aug-08 10:03:23

Message withdrawn

lulumama Sat 09-Aug-08 10:05:29

i see.

sorry about that.

maybe ask if another ABX can be given if you are allergic? or something to counteract the thrush that it will give you? this is not my forte, i;m afraid, but trying to think of ways to mitigate any problems

if you have an elective, it might well reduce or negate the risks of GBS passing to teh baby, but of course, c.s itself is not risk free.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 09-Aug-08 10:15:38

I guess the best thing to do is write down a heading for each option you have:

HB, CS, vag birth at hospital

Then write down the details involved in each scenario, ie:

HB - can anti-biots be admins at home?

CS - will this lower the risk of passing on the GBS compared to a vag delivery? Will I still be given anti-biots anyway?

Hospital vag delivery - what will be the differences in treatment be between delivering in hospital compared to home?

General questions for you to think about: Do you want you baby to have anti-biots regardless, or only until it is showing signs of infection? Are there any risks of waiting until the baby shows sign of infection?

Are there any treatments I can be given to keep thrush at bay before it takes a hold?

I guess you just have lots of questions to ask and some big decisions to make according to the answers you are given. Good luck x

LeonieD Sat 09-Aug-08 11:02:23

Message withdrawn

greenlawn Sat 09-Aug-08 11:30:50

Sorry to hear of your situation. How frustrating for you. I've apparently got gbs too - I was told no point having abs now as it recolonises within 3 weeks.

I'm hoping for a second vbac, but so far no one has really discussed what they do about the gbs. I didn't know the usual abs given is penicillin - I'm also allergic. So is there something else that can be given instead?

LeonieD Sat 09-Aug-08 16:00:00

Message withdrawn

LeonieD Sat 09-Aug-08 16:04:15

Message withdrawn

LeonieD Sat 09-Aug-08 16:05:32

Message withdrawn

Ewe Sat 09-Aug-08 16:19:12

"I suppose one positive upshot of GBS is that they won't be rupturing membranes, putting monitors on baby's head or giving me many internal exams... apparently that can push the GBS closer to the baby and increases the risk."

I was also riddled with GBS and tested + in urine and all of the above happened to me. I had 4 lots of AB's in labour, then had em CS with more ABs due to a high temp and then baby became poorly and was on ABs for a week in SCBU, she ended up being absolutely perfect but only because of the checks made so frequently by the paeds in that first 24hrs post birth.

Personally, I would go for CS as it does reduce but not eliminate the risk and if it's elective then it can be ensured that you get all the ABs you need.

Good luck! Remember, whatever you do, GBS being transferred is still a small risk.

LeonieD Sat 09-Aug-08 16:30:48

Message withdrawn

Ewe Sat 09-Aug-08 16:52:15

I wasn't told about a risk of getting it in the scar, I was told it can't live in the uterus, only birth canal, gut and uterine system. Oh and I was out of hosp 36hrs after c-section so you may not be kept in for 3 days.

It's not a nice decision to make, hopefully your consultant will be terribly knowledgable about all things GBS (we can hope!!).

LeonieD Sat 09-Aug-08 19:17:36

Message withdrawn

greenlawn Sat 09-Aug-08 19:27:53

Thanks for the info. - let us know how you get on - it just seems like one more frustrating decision to have to think about/worry about at this stage!

LeonieD Mon 11-Aug-08 09:58:57

Message withdrawn

becaroo Fri 15-Aug-08 19:45:00

This is interesting leonieD.....I am 35 + 1 & have just sent off my ECM GBS test and I am also allergic to penecillin.

I have a growth scan and ANC appointment on monday and will have the results from the test by then so will know more on monday evening.

Not been an easy pregnancy...lots of issues inc. serial growth scans, too much fluid and I keep having to go in to be monitored as I have been having contractions on and off since 33 weeks.

If I were in your shoes I think I would opt for the elective cs. I think there is much less risk of the GBS infection being passed to baby (although it is possible). As you say, you must be riddled with it for it to show up in your urine.

I would also agree with what you say re: cephalexin...its the one I would choose (NOT Erythromycin - my kidneys couldnt take it!)

anonymxxx Fri 15-Aug-08 20:36:53

Just read this and am also one for whom HB has not worked out (Pre-eclampsia).

I would definitely look into the option of taking AB's at home (even if you have to pick them up at the hospital) at the earliest signs of labour (you can always go back if it stops).
And ask (i.e., claim) to be preventatively treated for yeast infections right away. (I do not know about nipple/baby, but there are very good threads out there which meds work best).
God luck!

LiegeAndLief Fri 15-Aug-08 21:11:42

It might be worth asking for another test just to make sure you are "riddled" with GBS. Unlikely but always possible there was a mistake in the lab... better to be certain when such an important decision rests on it?

I posted on the garlic-related GBS thread and can confirm that garlic is definitely an anti-microbial. In fact I think one lady said that it had worked for her. But if it is also all the way up your urethra and in your bladder, I don't think getting garlic up there would be very pleasant, so unfortunately not a great option for you.

Really sorry you're having to make this decision, hope all goes well for you. I was also planning a home birth but ended up with pre-eclampsia - was 2 years ago and still feel sad about it, so I feel for you!

LeonieD Sat 16-Aug-08 08:53:55

Message withdrawn

mammaof5 Sat 16-Aug-08 21:46:20

You are very far from your delivery- try not to panic! It is absolutely worth it to try and get rid of the GBS now. A great probiotic (Shakley's has a wonderful pearl probiotic) will go a long way. If you have it throughout your whole body it is likely to cause other problems as well after you have your baby whether or not you have a c/s. Who says your efforts will be in vain- maybe you'll be the one that discovers an alternative to their protocols! Try avoiding the things that cause candida problems (dairy, gluten, sugar, caffeine) and pump up your fiber intake. I am suspicious that antibiotics contribute to the GBS colonization though I have never found any official proof. It can't hurt to try anyway, not as much as a c/s can hurt. The garlic is a great idea. Try fresh garlic cloves for your outer parts and make a garlic soup or mix garlic in a smoothie for your inner parts. One dose might not do it but keep trying.

mammaof5 Sat 16-Aug-08 21:47:45

p.s... you don't HAVE to take anything they offer.... It is your body, research it for yourself and do what you think is best for you and your baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now