Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When can you start drinking rasberry leaf tea - 35 or 36 weeks?

(19 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 07-Aug-08 14:16:48

Thanks!

ajm200 Thu 07-Aug-08 18:11:55

When I was pregnant last time, the advice was 28 weeks but I've been told 32 this time.

Hope it helps

star6 Thu 07-Aug-08 18:14:24

I thought I heard before on another thread that it was 36 weeks because it might set off contractions early? Is that not true? I want to take it as soon as it's allowed as well (I'm only 30 weeks, so have some time!)

laura325630 Thu 07-Aug-08 18:32:59

I started taking the rasberry tea leaf tablets at 36 weeks. My labour was only 2 hours long!

ajm200 Thu 07-Aug-08 18:35:50

The raspberry leaf tablets I have say do not take before 28 weeks.

I believe in the USA they say it can be taken throughout the pregnancy in moderation but in the UK it's for the last trimester only.

Ask your midwife for advice, they'll know the latest recommendations.

BlueJellie Thu 07-Aug-08 19:52:10

what does raspberry leaf tea do?

star6 Thu 07-Aug-08 19:55:58

That's funny ajm200! Women in the US must be very different to women in the UK... I'm originally from the US, but have been away for 5 years... I wonder which advice I should follow grin
I think it's supposed to speed up labour and make it easier (once you're in labour, I don't think it starts labour)... this is just from what I've read on MN and google, though... so not an extensive knowledge base here... hopefully someone more knowledgeable about it all will come along

ajm200 Thu 07-Aug-08 20:10:10

Star6: It is daft isn't it. I found the info on a US site about drinking the stuff thoughout pregnancy, one cup in the first trimester, two in second and 3 in 3rd. I think it was babyfit or the US babycenter site. The list of forbidden foods is different too.. just shows that no-one really knows for sure about these things..

It's supposed to strenghten/tone the uterus making labour faster.

I used it last time from 28 weeks without a problem. Had to be induced for pre-clampsia and it took 5 days so definately didn't bring on labour in me.

I was able to push the baby out very quickly though, my womb shrank down very fast, the MW who checked me a couple of days later was amazed at the progress and had little or no afterpains.

star6 Thu 07-Aug-08 21:16:56

Thanks, ajm200... with that story, I'm starting to drink it TOMORROW!!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 07-Aug-08 22:52:40

My midwife said 30something weeks...can't remember whether it was 35 or 36. Unbelievable that in the US they advise you to drink something that can cause miscarriage, but crucify you if you have the odd drink...that won't do any harm....

bethoo Thu 07-Aug-08 22:56:12

i bought some capsules today and it advises only to start taking at 30 weeks at the earliest.

thumbwitch Thu 07-Aug-08 22:57:35

netdoctor recommend not before 36 weeks just in case it induces early labour, which is quite rare.

star6 Fri 08-Aug-08 07:29:03

kat2907 I was just thinking the same thing... how hypocritical that is - they are so over cautious and over dramatic about everything and then they tell you it's ok to go ahead and do something that is potentially harmful!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 08-Aug-08 08:13:35

Lol America is crazy I just had a bit of a debate with an american woman on facebook who said she would refuse to serve me a drink in her restaurant! Grrr

star6 Fri 08-Aug-08 08:17:44

That's why we moved here!! crazy americans lol.
I'm quite anxious about the pregnancy, but the drs/mws here are (although at times frustrating) so much more down to earth and reassuring/relaxing.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 08-Aug-08 08:48:11

Oh yes, I have loved the advice from midwives here! In my ante natal class a midwife advised having one or two large glasses of wine in the latent stage of labour...

cluckyagain Fri 08-Aug-08 08:50:41

I started at 37 weeks - brought on massive BH for the one day I had it, scanned - in labour but it stopped, had baby a week later - never again!!

lollipopmother Fri 08-Aug-08 09:05:37

Blue - Raspberry Leaf Tea is supposed to make your uterus more efficient at contracting, ie contractions are stronger, it does not bring on labour per se, just increase the strength of the contractions once you're in labour. Some women do get Braxton Hicks contractions though, which obviously can be unpleasant.

ajm200 Fri 08-Aug-08 09:59:09

Last time round I was looked after by a lovely down to earth midwife who has retired now. It was like being looked after by a knowledgable member of the family.

She was the one who told me to use raspberry leaf tea. She also said that a small glass of beer can help bring milk in after giving birth.

When asked what I need to provide for a homebirth, her first answer was plenty of strong tea and biccies for the midwives.... It is great that in the UK pregnancy and birth is not seen as a problem that has to be handled medically and most mums don't see any DR other than their GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now