Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I have a really quiet baby - also gas and air

(13 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 07-Aug-08 09:12:53

Hello, I think I have the quietest baby ever. It has never moved much and yesterday I counted literally 13 movements all day. I'm not worried (although I have been in the past) but what do you think this means? I was worried it might mean the baby has a disability, or on the other hand it might continue being quiet after it's born? [hopeful!]
I was going to ask, I tried gas and air at my ante natal class on tuesday, could that have 'chilled out' the baby so it didn't move much yesterday?

PetitFilou1 Thu 07-Aug-08 09:41:48

It means neither. How pregnant are you? If you are 36 weeks + I'd say this was pretty par for the course as they start to run out of space. Other things are the baby may be kicking against the placenta (depending on where it is) and you may just not be feeling it. Don't think the baby would have had the benefit of your gas and air - just you!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 07-Aug-08 09:48:15

35 weeks so that's about right. Ok, well at least it's normal!

ellideb Thu 07-Aug-08 09:50:59

They say if you are feeling 10 movements a day then that is fine. If you are busy then you might not remember feeling the movements.

waitingtobloom Thu 07-Aug-08 11:20:37

Gas and air wont have got to the baby - benefits just for you

I have noticed a huge difference this pregnancy compared to previous as I am just so active running around after a toddler. As long as there are 10 movements a day then thats fine. It may be kicking without you noticing if you are busy and may be up all night without you realising! Not much room left in there really anyway.

xx

ajm200 Thu 07-Aug-08 11:24:56

You could try sitting down somewhere comfy and quiet where you can concentrate on your baby then eating/drinking something cold and sugary to get baby moving. It works for me.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Thu 07-Aug-08 11:26:37

Hi - you could be feeling few of the movements because of the location of the placenta. I think sometimes it can act as a 'cushion' to some of the kicks and scrapes!

laura325630 Thu 07-Aug-08 12:24:57

My dd's movements slowed from about 36 weeks. I was put on a monitor for an hour just to check all was ok. Might be worth you getting checked out to put your mind at rest? As soon as the attached the monitor to my bump dd starting going mad!! Typical x

lollipopmother Thu 07-Aug-08 12:32:25

I have an anterior placenta (placenta is across the front of my bump instead of the back) and I've been told this can greatly reduce the amount of movements I feel, and also as the other ladies have said, the closer to term you get the more the baby will slow, as there's less room in there now for the baby to move about.

mrsboogie Thu 07-Aug-08 12:35:50

mine is very quiet - I am 34 weeks. He has busy days when he moves a lot but never all the time like some people's babaies seem to a lot of the time he doesn't move much at all. I have felt him move only about three times since 8am today but when I listened with the doppler I can hear him moving.

lollipopmother Thu 07-Aug-08 13:46:00

Sometimes I can't actually feel my baby move on the inside, I only know because I so happen to have my hand on my bump or see my bump move. hmm

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 07-Aug-08 14:14:18

Oh I do have an anterior placenta - I didn't think of that!

ajm200 Thu 07-Aug-08 15:20:17

I have an anterior placenta too. I was in the L&D ward a few weeks ago being monitored and could see from the trace that my LO was very active but I could only feel one or two kicks.

I should be grateful really as my DS1 kicked me to bits and was always on the move. I can remember begging him to settle down in the early hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now