Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Still no movements, my bump has stopped growing, I don't even know what anyone could do to make me relax about it all...

(92 Posts)
NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 06-Aug-08 15:49:18

I phoned the MW this morning (a big step for me), explained that I was worried about not feeling any movements, said how I haven't grown for the last 4/5 weeks, and told her how it is all so so so different from my other pregnancies, and she said "we don't really monitor baby movements or growth until around 26 weeks, because, well there is nothing we can do before then, except deliver the baby if there was something wrong"

But, I can go for a AN appointment next week to listen to the HB. I have a doppler (for all my sins....) I know the HB is OK (though has been faster than usual the last few times I've done it) I also know that whilst hearing the HB is a good sign, it doesn't mean all is well.

I am just going round in circles, I go for a few days where I think everything is fine, and try not to even think about it all, and then I have a day like today where it is just staring me in the face all the time. And like I said, I don't even know what anyone could do to make it better, just need to rant I suppose!

AttillaTheHan Wed 06-Aug-08 15:54:20

I really really feel for you sad its soo nerve racking being pregnant isn't it. I haven't got anything useful to say other than I hope your AN appointment goes ok and that you can get some answers to some of your questions and doubts.

reban Wed 06-Aug-08 15:54:40

Hi im sorry you are so worried but have you tried going over your midwife's head and going straight to your hospital. I have had a couple of instances during this pregnancy where i needed to speak to someone and my own midwife was not available. I called the day unit and they just told me to pop in same day. You would be monitored, give urine sample and if they are concerned they will arrange for a scan. Also explain lack of movement as this will need to be picked up.
How many weeks are you?

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 06-Aug-08 15:57:05

I can't easily make contact with my MW team, so it was the MW's on the AN day unit I rang.

Sorry I am nearly 19 weeks (I know that is fairly early for movements, but I felt both my boys much much earlier than this, it is the sheer differences that are making me worry)

Flossish Wed 06-Aug-08 16:00:27

I really didn't feel DS move until after my 20 week scan, then I clicked. He was my first so I know what you are saying but it really wasn't all that different with DD. I did feel things earlier, definately, but not on a daily basis. IIRC at this age they are small and feeling movements depends on where they are lying. Please try to relax.

BlueDragonfly Wed 06-Aug-08 16:02:58

your placenta may be at the front cushioning movements. Do you have another scan booked?

Goober Wed 06-Aug-08 16:08:40

This sounds crap but it really worked for me. Have a huge sugar rush. I used to eat a Mars bar and wait 5 mins.............. Baby went nuts. Try it please.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 06-Aug-08 16:08:52

Thanks Flossish, but so many people have said things like "every pregnancy is different" "it's still early to be feeling regular movements" and saying what happened to them, but I am not them, IYKWIM? It is all right and true, but it doesn't stop me worrying. I felt my boys moving VERY early, and with DS2 earlier than I even thought was physically possible, and I didn't believe it was him moving until I could see at the dating that he was moving as I was feeling the movements, but I am a good 9/10 weeks further on than with him, and still nothing.

We had a bit of a family gathering for DH's birthday yesterday (they don't know about my worries), I know everyone always has something to say but the constant "you're not as big as you were with the boys" comments is probably why I am all in a muddle again today.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 06-Aug-08 16:10:17

I would go to the hospital and ask to be put on a monitor.

I was always at the hospital with mine when I had no movement for a while.

Nearly lost DC1 so felt justified.

You are worried so get checked.

Good luck.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 06-Aug-08 16:10:59

Blue, I have a scan booked for 2 weeks time.

Goober, I have tried everything, icey cold drinks, hot drinks, hot and cold things on my belly, lying on my front, lying on my back, lying on my side... you name it I've tried it - I think!

reban Wed 06-Aug-08 16:12:53

If you are 19 weeks have you got your anomaly scan next week? You may find that your placenta is lying differently this time and that can limit how early and strongly you feel movement. I have no personal experience of this but have read it on other threads.

Also this is my fourth pregnancy and completly different to other 3 if that makes you feel any better, just when you think you've got the hang of this pregnancy malarky and you're an "experienced" mom nature preoves you wrong!

Good luck and im sure everything will be alright but if you need to, call the day unit back and tell them your concerns again, you may get a more simpathetic midwife next time xx

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 06-Aug-08 16:13:02

I'mnotMG, it has taken me 2 weeks to pluck up the courage to ring the MW, it would be the same team of MW's I'd see at the hospital, they'll send me straight back home, she said herself they don't monitor before 26 weeks.

Goober Wed 06-Aug-08 16:14:20

Then I think I have to agree with INMGBSLM, you should take yourself off to the hospital to be monitored.
Please keep us informed, and off you pop!

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 06-Aug-08 16:15:34

That is so wrong.

I am very angry for you.

My second chid hardly moved at all and worried me silly and in the end I was scanned weekely until she was born.

Are you getting 10 movements in 12 hours? Are you putting on weight?

LuckySalem Wed 06-Aug-08 16:16:12

Oh NJ - I didn't realise things were like this.

Get to the hospital and don't leave until they have given you an emergency scan.

I don't believe in all this we don't do this till then! Crap. If you are worried get them to fix it.

If worst comes to worst can you go get a private scan to relieve your worries?

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 06-Aug-08 16:18:43

Not getting any movements at all.

I'm not sure about weight (haven't weighed myself since before getting pregnant) but I know my belly, which had been growing, hasn't got any bigger for the last 4 or 5 weeks. Even DH has noticed it's not got any bigger, and as lovely as he is, noticing things like that is not like him at all!

LuckySalem Wed 06-Aug-08 16:19:43

NJ - Really go to hospital PLEASE.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 06-Aug-08 16:20:42

Jen wish it was as simple as that, we've no one to look after the boys while we're camped up at the hospital, and as I said, they have said they wouldn't do anything anyway.

LuckySalem Wed 06-Aug-08 16:22:00

I don't care if they're saying they won't do anything!! Get there anyway and demand to be seen.

reban Wed 06-Aug-08 16:23:21

NatalieJane are you getting any pain or any other sensations?

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 06-Aug-08 16:24:01

Jen it is their policy not to montior before 26 weeks, they wouldn't do anything. If I thought for one moment they would give me a magic answer then I'd do it some how, but they won't.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 06-Aug-08 16:25:31

Reban, I do sometimes get what I thought was braxton hicks, but it sort of turns into period pain, last for an hour or so and then goes for a few days.

Have had the odd BH thrown in for good measure, but that isn't painful as such.

PinkTulips Wed 06-Aug-08 16:27:00

i was panicing due to not feeling as much movement as i did with my other 2 at this stage til i was scanned last week.

turns out my placenta is at the front and is stopping me from feeling anything.

did they say anything about the placenta's position at your earlier scan?

you might be having a girl this time, i know it's not a scientific fact but alot of people do find they have very differant bumps with boys and girls, i was tiny with dd and absolutely massive with ds.

aurorec Wed 06-Aug-08 16:27:54

Any way you could get someone to babysit the boys and go to a different hospital? Or maybe even go to casualty?

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 06-Aug-08 16:28:47

What are you going to do?

I know they say they won't do anything but this is your baby and they have a duty of care to you.

You have had no movements when you should have felt some. YOU NEED CHECKING.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now