Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Changing diet a bit whilst pregnant - want to eat fewer carbs and more protein, and what is good for constipation?

(11 Posts)
MrsClippy Wed 06-Aug-08 11:26:02

Hello
As the title says, I want to eat better during pregnancy, and am looking for small changes I can make. I basically eat well but our diet is a bit carb-heavy and I am sure I can improve it. I had quinoa instead of rice the other night, that sort of thing.
Also, apart from the advice about eating more fibre and prunes, what's good for constipation?
Oh and keeping iron levels up - green veg, check, apricots, check - anyone got any other tips?

Beetroot Wed 06-Aug-08 11:27:02

prunes are perfect

Anna8888 Wed 06-Aug-08 11:27:26

For constipation, drink lots of glasses of very cold water. And eat lots of vegetables and fruit - cooked as well as raw (you get more fibre down you with cooked).

Beetroot Wed 06-Aug-08 11:27:28

just have 4per day

hanaflower Wed 06-Aug-08 11:30:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ten10 Wed 06-Aug-08 11:31:57

lentils and beans
lots of green veg
good fibrous breakfast cereal
lots of water

hanaflower Wed 06-Aug-08 11:33:01

mckenzie Wed 06-Aug-08 11:34:57

ditto hanaflower's comment about the warm water first thing. Why was it harming your teeth Hanaflower?

Smittals Wed 06-Aug-08 11:36:47

eating prunes didn't do anything for me. Dried apricots on the other hand...!!!

hanaflower Wed 06-Aug-08 11:44:15

wombleprincess Wed 06-Aug-08 12:04:59

well i am going to contradict you all and say that i used to have a really carb light diet and eat loads of veg etc and despite all this had a really sluggish system. when i got pregnant i just got so hungry i had to start eating more rice, pasta, bread... and my system is better than its ever been..... so i suppose its whatever works for you...

but one sure fire trick.... linseeds!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now