Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BFP- What about exercise?

(10 Posts)
April2009Baby Wed 06-Aug-08 09:38:47

As the name suggests, I have just had a BFP and (if all goes well) it will be my first child. Am 4 1/2 weeks I guess.

My question is, I go to the gym quite regularly and have a personal trainer a couple of times a month who makes sure I vary my routine, etc (not as posh as it sounds, he's part of the local authority leisure centre I go to, but still an extravagence I might not be able to afford for much longer...) When should I tell him? He doesn't push me massively hard and I don't really want to tell him so early, but I've heard lots of things about not running in early pregnancy, etc.

Help! I don't have a doctor's appointment until after my next session with him.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 06-Aug-08 09:40:09

Tell him immediately. He has to know I'm afraid.

dinkystinky Wed 06-Aug-08 10:15:57

Congratulations! Tell him now - my PT was the second person I told (after DH of course). Make sure your PT is trained to work with pregnant women - if not, you should think about switching to a trainer who is trained (as, as pregnancy goes on, you'll need to adapt alot of your exercises). If you're already quite fit, you can carry on with what you're doing for the first trimester at least - after that you'll need to start making adjustments - just dont overheat and listen to your body.

I trained with PT through my first pregnancy (until around 38 weeks, when I gave up work) and will do so again this time (now nearly 12 weeks and still doing kickboxing and weights training with trainer). I started to ease off on the cardio work around the 4/5 month mark (gave up running at 3 months last time, and 2 months this time, as just didnt feel comfortable) and took up more pregnancy yoga and pregnancy pilates to prepare me for the birth.

WigglyBumsMum Wed 06-Aug-08 16:19:59

Yes, you should tell him quickly - you don't want him to push you too hard without realising. Hopefully he will be positive and tell you how to adapt your exercises - but if not, change trainer to one who is more clued up on current thinking around exercise during pregnancy. Current research supports exercise in pregnancy as good for both mother and babe.

I can recommend a couple of good books:
Runners World guide to Running & Pregnancy by Chris Lundgren - lots of practical running tips and real women's experiences

and Exercising through your pregnancy by James F Clapp - an Obstetrician who has done lots of research into the effects of (any) weight bearing exercise on pregnancy. He goes through the research evidence, then makes suggestions for incorporation into exercise programmes for beginner, recreational and professional athletes.

Hope this helps

WBM

nadssss Wed 06-Aug-08 16:31:51

I would say you should def tell him. I used to be slightly addicted to running on the treadmill and thought I would definitely keep going throughout my pregnancy. I then stopped at about 7 weeks because I felt too sick and tired (you might be lucky and not feel sick of course – I don’t want to be a total downer).

I felt great at 4 and half a weeks and was still running then but that soon changed. Also, I got a heart rate monitor which meant I could see I was going well over the recommended maximum of 140beats when I was jogging.

I also felt the jarring movement of jogging on a treadmill was bad for my pregnant body – but this was probably just me being totally paranoid.

I would say definitely get a heart rate monitor and def tell you PT.

I now (at 13 weeks) walk a lot and swim – but I do miss the endorphin rush of running A LOT. Compared to how I was before though I am a total lazy bitch!

gingerninja Wed 06-Aug-08 16:34:17

I trained every day (quite hard) until about 6-7 months with DC1 then I just swam and did pilates/yoga so lowered the intensity, I did lots of running (hill training included), cycling and weights.

The evidence suggests that excersise doesn't raise your core temperature by a significant amount so shouldn't be dangerous but you may find yourself more lightheaded so should reduce the intensity accordingly and obviously drink lots of water.

I think the key is to do what you're comfortable with and no more than you were doing before getting your BFP.

Of course, since having my DD I can only manage to swim about 3 times a week so i feel a lot unhealthier in this pregnancy.

WigglyBumsMum Wed 06-Aug-08 17:56:46

Just to say that J Clapp explains in his book that heart rate cannot be used as an accurate measure of exertion from as soon as pregnancy starts, due to the hormonal effects on the circulatory system - HR starts to do very strange things immediately. Also, sticking to 140 bpm is unnecessary.

He basically recommends continuing to do the same type, duration and perceived level of intensity of exercise as before pregnancy (ie moderately hard etc), but don't go anaerobic without close monitoring.

Hope this helps

WBM

poshtottie Wed 06-Aug-08 18:34:27

PRE Perceived rate of exertion is a better guide to heart rate when exercising in pregnancy. You can find lots of info on here babyfit.com

April2009Baby Wed 06-Aug-08 19:30:43

Gosh. Thanks everyone for the really detailed advice. You're all so helpful (bit new here!).

ninja Wed 06-Aug-08 19:35:36

Just make sure you drink plenty of water and don't over heat - up until 3 months you can do exactly the same (if you want to!). The only exception I think is if you have some bleeding etc

After than there are some sensible adaptations to things like core exercises (plank etc rather than crunches)

Congratulations and good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now