Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Piriton in pregnancy?

(9 Posts)
ButtonMoon Fri 11-Feb-05 18:26:06

Going to friends later who has cats and I'm allergic.....can I take piriton?

secur Fri 11-Feb-05 18:27:30

Message withdrawn

Tipex Fri 11-Feb-05 19:18:59

Nope best not and in fact all antihistamines are best avoided in pregnancy although some just say 'manufacturer suggests avoid' they have not been tested on pregnant women. better off avoiding the cats!!!!

ChocolateGirl Fri 11-Feb-05 21:27:39

I took Piriton when I was pregnant. I asked my midwife during one of my routine antenatal checks if it was OK - and she rang Labour Ward and spoke to a doctor who said it was fine.

piffle Fri 11-Feb-05 21:35:43

I was suspected of having cholestasis and they gave me piriton to alleviate the itching, but would they give it to me when I was breastfeeding?
NO!!!
Go figure!

Toothache Fri 11-Feb-05 21:35:59

I took Piriton throughout both of my pregnancies.... at least once a week. I have food intolerances and Hay Fever, my GP and MW told me that was fine. I used baby Piriton, that's perfectly safe.... but watch out coz it makes you veeeerrrrrrry sleepy! I used to take it at night and the antihistamine effects would usually last most of the next day, without the drowsiness. It's the new style antihistamines that you shouldn't take, the ones that don't make you drowsy like Clarytin and Zirtec.

Toothache Fri 11-Feb-05 21:37:15

lol Piffle! That's what they told me too!! Apparently the placenta stops it getting to the baby, but breastmilk just lets it all through.

Allyco Fri 11-Feb-05 21:38:21

I got chickenpox and itching was desperate. Midwife suggested piriton and pharmacist said i could take the whole packet and it wouldn't make me sleepy !! (it didn't, but mind you it didn't stop me itching either)

ButtonMoon Sat 12-Feb-05 21:14:51

spoke to pharmacy and they said u can't take the non drowsy ones.....piriton is ok. thanks guys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now