Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Big Baby concerns

(8 Posts)
Boz123 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:14:27

Hi I am 33weeks preg with baby number 3. Have 2 girls who were delivered in a birthing centre with gas and air in the pool, no tears, all went well.
Baby 2 was 10.4oz (never picked up in pregnancy) so I am concerned about the size of this baby. Today the midwife listened to my concerns about delivering a big baby and she said there was a procedure to follow to ensure they have done all they need to preparing for the delivery.
Am I being worried for no reason ? Should I just accept what will be ? Dont want loads of intervention during the birth if I can avoid it as had 2 great positive experiences.

CarGirl Tue 05-Aug-08 15:15:42

My 2nd was 10lb 6oz (they didn't pick it up) the next 2 were actually smaller even though they were all girls.

Boz123 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:18:43

Its all a load of rubbish I think, I should be ok with it all but feel really worried about not being able to cope with the birth. Guess it must be me getting psyched up for the birth !

cathcat Tue 05-Aug-08 19:01:04

Can you ask for a scan? They scanned me at 34 weeks for this reason. the doctor reckoned DS2 was 7lbs already at that point! They can measure bits and pieces and get a good idea of how big the baby is. No good looking at the bump IMO. if your other deliveries went okay they may be keen for you to carry on as you are - I had a difficult birth with DS1 (10.4) so they were concerned about the size for that reason. HTH.

SJLTM Tue 05-Aug-08 19:35:13

Had scan at 36 weeks as other 4 had been whoopers!! they guessed baby was 10lbs then shock scaned again at 38 weeks, guessed 10lbs 10ozs. Took me in and induced as my 10lbs 13oz one got a bit stuck. DD arrived at 38weeks weighing 10lbs 9oz. so the scans were a good guide.

LeonieD Tue 05-Aug-08 22:50:16

Message withdrawn

Olihan Tue 05-Aug-08 23:01:39

I think if you've birthed 10lbers already then there's a high chance you'll do it again with no problems.

I had a 10lb 2oz baby after two 8 and a half lbers and he was the quickest, easiest birth of the 3.

AFAIR, the mws biggest concern was shoulder dystocia but like your mw said, they have procedures in place to deal with it, if it happens.

Boz123 Wed 06-Aug-08 10:02:57

Just been told I've got a scan and consultant appointment tomorrow which is good. There is a procedure that should be followed if you have delivered a baby over 4.5 kilos, shame my other midwives didnt seem to know about it.

I agree, big babies are great - just a bit daunting the 3rd time round ! I am trying to get mentally ready for the birth.

Will keep you posted, thanks for the support

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now